RM and Germany

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Bosscat, Jan 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasn't sure where to put this,so if it's in the wrong forum please move,anyway I have a mate who is ex RM,he

is gen so no worries on that score, we got chatting the other week about postings and places visited whilst

he was in,he mentioned the usual,NI,Norway the US etc and a few ships he was drafted to,anyway I asked

him maybe naively I don't know,if he had ever served in Germany,he cast me a look as if I was a total fuckwit

and replied that RM were banned from having a permanent presence in Germany,due to something that

supposedly happened at the end of the second world war he didn't elaborate on what it was.Can anybody

shed any light on this as I must admit I'd never heard of it before.
  2. I heard this one, don't know if true but the gen dit buzz was that RM are classed as Storm Troopers and thus were not allowed in Germany.

It sounds complete bollox though.

However I am pretty sure that when my brother was training the Corps NECIC team, they either were not allowed to attend the previous year or they had to billet just over the border in Holland for this reason. Memory is a bit hazy but it was something along these lines.
  3. Damn, he's fast!
  4. Lol, I have just been reading that thread and was about to post it.

Looks like the storm trooper myth that I had heard was drinking talk.
  5. When I was with 4 Armd Wksp/3 Bn REME, the HQ CSM was a RM CSgt. Can't have been a one off, as he was replaced by another one!!
  6. I've heard the same thing about RM not allowed a permanent base in Germany, something to do with an agreement signed in 1945 but don't know how much truth there was in it.
    When I was in Munster with KRH, we had a RM Sgt attached as an armourer, he also deployed to Macedonia and Kosovo on Op Agricola with the KRH Battlegroup.
  7. Cheers for that,I had a look at the link supplied,it does mention the odd Instructor and the odd RM here and there but I was talking about a formed unit like a full Commando or even a Coy,which there doesn't seem to be,so I am going to take it my mucker was right.
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

No. BAOR = armoured and Army. RM = unarmoured and Naval Infantry. What role would they have had? Rather a waste of amphibious/mountain/arctic skills and it's not as if there was a spare Cdo or two to deploy out of theatre.

BFG was an Army/RAF jobbie, with almost no Naval involvement, though an old German running mate of mine (born in about 1920 in Cottbus) had spent the war with the Kriegsmarine. He spent 1946 on his ship, German crew with RN officers, dumping Hitler's entirely unused chemical weapons into the Baltic Sea. He always said the RN officers treated him and his shipmates 'sehr korrekt'.
  9. I hear what you are saying BL and this is not a dig by any stretch but do you think it really was that simple?
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Yes. What on earth would a dismounted RM Cdo do on a defensive armoured battle-field?

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

The only things being agreed with Germany in 1945 were unconditional surrenders.
  12. Why......Stride across the battlefield laying waste to the enemy with their Commando scowl of course. Whilst Soviet weaponry bounces off their Green Beret clad forcefield. The sexy, steely eyed dealers of death.