RLC weekend 4th/5th March

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cornelius, Jan 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Exactly what it says on the tin: There's another "show you what we do" weekend at Grantham.
    I'm going - anyone else going to be there?
    I'll post more details if and when I get the joining instructions.

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

For any of those that are considering it (and I heartily recommend it) you’ll be doing this:

1800-2200 Friday. Evening reception and then sent to the NAAFI for the rest of the night (£1.60 a pint)

0645-0800 Breakfast
    0800-0900 PT
    0900-0930 Shower and change
    0930-1000 Payment of travel allowances
    1000-1045 Welcome and RLC presentation
    1050-1230 Command tasks, DCCT (Dismounted Close Combat Trainer) and Equipment stand.
    1230-1330 Lunch
    1330-1630 Mobilisation and Adventurous training, Camouflage, concealment and field catering. Cross country driving/calm loading/servicing.
    1630-1700 Clean up
    1700-1800 Evening meal
    1900-2300 NAAFI again

0645-0800 Breakfast
    0830-0930 PT
    0930-1030 Shower and clean up/clean accommodation
    1030-1200 Final brief and form filling
    1230- Lunch and disperse

Stuff they don’t tell you to take but you WILL need: Sturdy padlock (24 man rooms), gloves and boots.
  3. Sixty

Just a quick bump. PM for contact numbers. All meals and accomodation provided free.
  4. PT after breakfast?
  5. Sixty

Yes indeedy. Cookhouse open at 0645 (saw at least 3 chaps who hadn't paid attention to the Candidate Progamme vomitting really rather copiously afterwards)
  6. PT is only a "light into" and not a beasting run btw. However, dont go eating a full fry up and puking. Save that for the NAAFI steps like the last "show us what ya do" weekend in Jan. Also, please dont vom in your sheets and put them in the bin. The DS hate cleaning up after that :p
    Padlock has been requested to be added to JI's but never makes it. It is essential with 23 other strangers in your room. Gloves and a hat are useful as you spend much of the time outdoors and its not that warm still. If you have sturdy boots or equiv they are more ideal than your best Reebok Classics.

Bring a sense of humour!

See ya there!
  7. I went, and if you're uming and ahhing, ffs go[1]: I thought it was both informative and good fun.
    Don't forget boots, gym kit (there was a bloke there wearing shoes & jeans for PT, what was worse was that his arse was hanging out the back, nice.) padlock & wipes to get rid of the cam cream.
    If you want to make the most of it then ask questions and don't be afraid to volunteer so you get to see more rather than standing about inbetween tasks.
    If you're going to puke up in the gym don't put your hands out to catch it and have it splash all over your face like some poor sod did. There was a film crew there all day Saturday and they ran over to get the whole thing on film, so infamy beckons on the new recruits dvd.
    Thanks to the recruiters for putting on a good show and for putting up will all the questions. Though I should point out that the food the army chefs produced was a h4ll of a lot better than that found at lunch/dinner, nice one.
    All in all it certainly helped separate the myths from the facts and it turns out one of my colleagues is in the RLC, small world!

Corn. :D

[1] Unless you're a 17yr old, my dad's in the army, 1st class bullshitter. FFS wind it in or the army's not for you.

Editing for cr4p spelling
  8. (sorry for draggin this thread back up a week late)
    Im glad you thought it was worth while Corn, as I hope many others did on this weekend.
    Yes it was cold, yes there was some standing around, but the Regiments' did a great job on the cross country, DCCT, cam and conceal and cheffing with the driving coming out top on everyones smile factor.
    Unfortunately much of the timings were put out at the start as all syndicate leaders from 166 Supply (yes me) were sent to the gym for Compulsory Drug Testing - only to find we were actually going to run as Drug Monitors all morning watching grown men urinate.
    The film crew was an added bonus wasnt it :)

There will be more of these throughout the year, so if anyone finds their way to this thread and has been invited along to Grantham for the next weekend, dont hesitate - its not like you are committing to anything at all so its nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Corn - look forward to seeing you on your TAFS1!
  9. Smudger,

Perhaps worth starting a new thread with the date of the next FAC weekend? A colleague at work who is considering joining an independant signals unit showed interest in the RLC FAC weekends after I described one and I'm sure there are others out there in the same boat.
    The driving was fun, in particular the rear wheel drifting in the DAF was an experience, the driver sure knew how to enjoy himself :D
    Just got to try and finish my application form now, that and the medical - how long!