RLC unit winning a Mil Competition?

Gremlin said:
Doesn't surprise me.

151 Tpt Regt RCT always did bloody well at the LONDIST shooting meet prior to Bisley(TA), but then again they had an awful lot of recoil absorption material!
:x OI! I was one of them,and at that time i was a sleek, fit,dead eyed dick..................We also had the Queens medalist in our team.

I remember a few years ago being in this comp in the RY team, we followed a para team in second place. and on the sunday when they were adding up the final scores we were still in 2nd place. Then the FANY with the fattest arrse ive seen who was keeping score bent over and wiped all the scores out with her huge rump. The fannys then put the scores back up how the thought the teams had done, which was totally arrse about face and our team ended up about 7th, our protests fell on deaf ears and we agreed they could keep the cans of john smith and stick them up their arrse. Perhaps this is what happened this year?

I cant remember what year but was the same courage trophy comp when unfortunatley a few paras got hurt and one sadly died( i think) when doing a demo jump in a force 10 gale during the presentations

The_Duke

LE
squigeypie said:
I remember a few years ago being in this comp in the RY team, we followed a para team in second place. and on the sunday when they were adding up the final scores we were still in 2nd place. Then the FANY with the fattest arrse ive seen who was keeping score bent over and wiped all the scores out with her huge rump. The fannys then put the scores back up how the thought the teams had done, which was totally arrse about face and our team ended up about 7th, our protests fell on deaf ears and we agreed they could keep the cans of john smith and stick them up their arrse. Perhaps this is what happened this year?

I cant remember what year but was the same courage trophy comp when unfortunatley a few paras got hurt and one sadly died( i think) when doing a demo jump in a force 10 gale during the presentations
No deaths, but a broken femur or two. The "Black Lanyards" were quite possibly the worst parachute display team in the world. It was always a pleasure to watch them jump as you had a chance to win the sweepstake on the number of them requiring hospital visits! :D

M

Mr_Logic

Detmold_Drunk said:
Gremlin said:
Doesn't surprise me.

151 Tpt Regt RCT always did bloody well at the LONDIST shooting meet prior to Bisley(TA), but then again they had an awful lot of recoil absorption material!
:x OI! I was one of them,and at that time i was a sleek, fit,dead eyed dick..................We also had the Queens medalist in our team.
When you say always, in 1990 4RGJ(V) thrashed 151 (and the muppets from 10 Para) at both LONDIST and at Bisley, IIRC. I think I probably remember your Queen's Medalist (Tony xx xxxxx?) but 4RGJ(V) had the champion SMG firer the last time Nelson was used for its true purpose.

For the record, I was later RCT and have done some reasonably successful firing in the new Corps, but loyalty to the excellent and well trained 1990 4RGJ(V) Shooting Team will stay with me until ENDEX.

Mr_Logic said:
Detmold_Drunk said:
Gremlin said:
Doesn't surprise me.

When you say always, in 1990 4RGJ(V) thrashed 151 (and the muppets from 10 Para) at both LONDIST and at Bisley, IIRC. I think I probably remember your Queen's Medalist (Tony xx xxxxx?) but 4RGJ(V) had the champion SMG firer the last time Nelson was used for its true purpose.

For the record, I was later RCT and have done some reasonably successful firing in the new Corps, but loyalty to the excellent and well trained 1990 4RGJ(V) Shooting Team will stay with me until ENDEX.
Oh you mean the bloke that I used to beat quite frequently? ;)

Pissed off most of the TA no end to have someone who was OTC badged doing that! :D

M

Mr_Logic

Gremlin said:
Mr_Logic said:
Detmold_Drunk said:
Gremlin said:
Doesn't surprise me.

Oh you mean the bloke that I used to beat quite frequently? ;)

Pissed off most of the TA no end to have someone who was OTC badged doing that! :D
Did you beat him in 1990? I thought not. I remember him. I don't remember you.

The shooters I knew could live with being beaten by anyone who had bettered them within the match conditions.

Sav the SMG Champion shot (twice) was NEVER capbadged OTC.

Mr_Logic said:

The shooters I knew could live with being beaten by anyone who had bettered them within the match conditions.
It was either 89 or 90; and you are quite right, to the shooters it doesn't matter, but it does to the hangers on!

I was in the team run by a rather shortish RE Captain attached ULOTC, who you'd probably know if you were on the circuit or in the Huts often.

Edit:

You've got me wondering now - I was bloody certain that I won in 1990, but it may have been a top 3 followed by the Roberts.

If I'm wrong then apologies!

Anyway, how many in the RLC team? Big effort to train? Etc etc

What ever happened to the Lads from 4 RGJ (V) I remember all of those lads, Yes they were good but did they ever win The Dragon and did they ever produce a Queens Medalist???????????????

The_Duke said:
squigeypie said:

No deaths, but a broken femur or two. The "Black Lanyards" were quite possibly the worst parachute display team in the world. It was always a pleasure to watch them jump as you had a chance to win the sweepstake on the number of them requiring hospital visits! :D

pleased to hear no one died I always thought they did, the way he smashed into the ground and didnt move even when the ambulance came, I can still see it now it made me wince i can tell yer,

shit that means ive got to change my sandbag/round the camp fire with a beer speech

M

Mr_Logic

Gremlin said:
Mr_Logic said:

It was either 89 or 90; and you are quite right, to the shooters it doesn't matter, but it does to the hangers on!

I was in the team run by a rather shortish RE Captain attached ULOTC, who you'd probably know if you were on the circuit or in the Huts often.

Edit:

You've got me wondering now - I was bloody certain that I won in 1990, but it may have been a top 3 followed by the Roberts.

If I'm wrong then apologies!

I am sure that Sav won the SMG Cup in 1990, the last year that it was fired. I remember it fairly well as it was my only year in that unit before moving on to other things. I understood that he had won it twice previously. I don't remember the other people too well but I was still a relative nig and just enjoying Bunhill Lodge and the thousands of rounds I put through my SLR and GPMG each weekend. Good times.

Apologies for any bluntness in previous posts, I had been imbibing.

Is Sav still around, Last saw him cooking about 10 years ago when the then 3 x Queens medalist started shooting, Good old days for those who entered LDRA and TASAAM. Alas those days are long gone and only some of us turn up each year at the back of Century range on the sunday to shoot stage 2 and see who has won the Queens Medal, Many have come and many have failed. But to some the lure of the exclusive club still exists.

Latest Threads