RLC to para Reg

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Again another fool. I live in Queensland outback and the restrictions really don't apply as the nearest neighbour is 1 km away. Cough cough Knobhead cough cough.
Yeah I knew that you lived there..... Not

Yeah I knew that you lived there..... Not
I will also let you know for future reference that I live and work in Queensland for 9 months of the year and then I take a three month rest period in the NT top end because I have properties in both states and can afford to take 3 months out. How lucky am I for being a knob?

The "Hats" irony is that the original battalions originated from converted regimental battalions.
Todays 1 PARA come from the 6th Parachute Battalion who were formed from 10 Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers.
2 PARA come from 5th Parachute Battalion who were formed from 7 Bn Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.
3 PARA come from 7th Parachute Battalion who were formed from 10 Bn Somerset Light Infantry.

The DNA of "Hats" runs thick in the Regiment's veins, more so than a lot of other regiments in the British Army.

Peg

Swinger
Know of two pretendy paras: one ex 7RHA & one ex Guard Para Platoon lad turned PT. 7RHA lad frequently tells everyone he was ‘a para’ along eith outlandish bullshit stories (30 of us went out only 4 came back etc) and the latter is frequently spotted in his faded Para reg tshirt and regimental flag in his ‘crossfit box’. I found it odd

The "Hats" irony is that the original battalions originated from converted regimental battalions.
Todays 1 PARA come from the 6th Parachute Battalion who were formed from 10 Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers.
2 PARA come from 5th Parachute Battalion who were formed from 7 Bn Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.
3 PARA come from 7th Parachute Battalion who were formed from 10 Bn Somerset Light Infantry.

The DNA of "Hats" runs thick in the Regiment's veins, more so than a lot of other regiments in the British Army.
So you're saying before the Parachute regiment existed there were no Paras ?

Who'd of thunk it ?

Back in the Day (1950's onwards), Transferring was ok and quite normal as lads who were conscripted were often thrown into units they didn't fit or didn't want to be in. Paras were always a rum bunch and very sure of themselves, but fit and a soldiers soldier no doubt about that and there was always a shortage of them given the regular notice on Orders about volunteering. A lot of them could put 5 rounds through the same hole at a target on the rangers at 100 yards.

When they came back from Suez, they were cock-o-the-walk, and full of themselves. I spent a bit of time with them at the same barracks around 1957/8, and they took over the cookhouse. 'Sod the one Sausage' 'ill have two coz i'v got to put one where the sun don't shine for ron (later ron) and they completely took over the NAAFI. Mind you food was appalling and they were quite welcome to 2 of those sausages. We used to have a Coy Pig, which was kept at somebody's parent home, once it was ready, then real sausages and bacon for the asking. Didn't last long, but by then you were fattening up the next one.

However as i recall, it was mainly transfers FROM the Paras that i remember, good soldiers looking for a cushy life, we used to say. But our Col Taylor (i think thats what his name was), used to put them in SAA etc, where our shooting skills went right up. I dont know if you get any extra money for shooting in the modern Army, did back then, so the boys were well chuffed when they turned up, as our 'Magnificent Pay' went through the roof on the back of the weapons test. Well 5bob at least.

Later in Borneo, we had loads of Paras in the Reg, as well as one of the Para battalions themselves, along with the Royal Marines, or Booties. We also had Gurkhas, they used to frighten us let alone Sukarnos lot, we used to let them know the Nepalese were in theater and i swear that they all went home, rather than find there heads in a basket. I think those units were always first pick, when it came to fighting. Mind you we weren't a bad bunch, you might have heard of Coll Woodhouse, he passed selection aged 42 or something like that, and reorganised the Regiment. He soon sorted out the rubbish and those who were along for the ride. Made us a right bunch of fighting professionals, not like today guys, we didn't have the fancy kit or 50 different weapons to chose, it was a Stirling or a Shotgun. Im not saying there not good at what they do, but we had less and still beat whoever we faced.

Yep nothing wrong with Paras, and when i can i still turn up ay Airborne day.

Last edited:
Thread drift...but true dit nonetheless...

In the mid 80's some of the Hereford Hooligans were known as "blades" (from being in sabre squadrons).

However to some of the Int Corps who had dealings with them they were known as "blunts"...

Blade - "I can't find Leeds castle on this map, you're Int, where is it?"

Int - "That is a map of Yorkshire mate, Leeds, sheet 289. Leeds Castle is in Kent, OS sheet 148. Here you go..."

There was even talk of a subversive cartoon strip - Blunt **** the Troublesome Trooper...

Those who were there at the time will know... ;)
Sorry about this but that isn't true, when you undertake selection and even though my days were 60 years ago ish, the first thing you do is learn map reading. There were no judgment calls about if you could or couldn't, they taught you. My understanding is that they do the same thing today. So asking anybody about how to get somewhere is rubbish.

I read Lt Col Stuart Tootal's book. Before taking over 3 PARA, he had served in a Scottish regiment. I bet that put some noses out of joint. Someone serves his time as a platoon and company commander in Para Regt battalions, as well as staff and training postings, only to have someone from an outside regiment, only just passed P Company, and takes over the job you want, on an opertional tour, while you count paper clips as a SO1 in MOD or BAOR or wherever.

The_Duke

LE
I read Lt Col Stuart Tootal's book. Before taking over 3 PARA, he had served in a Scottish regiment. I bet that put some noses out of joint. Someone serves his time as a platoon and company commander in Para Regt battalions, as well as staff and training postings, only to have someone from an outside regiment, only just passed P Company, and takes over the job you want, on an opertional tour, while you count paper clips as a SO1 in MOD or BAOR or wherever.
You might want to get an adult to read the book to you again. He was a Coy Commander and Bn 2ic in 1 PARA before going on to command 3 PARA.

Slime

LE
I said Lt/ Col Jones was previously Devon and Dorset’s before 2 para. He actually transferred as a L/col two years before the Falklands. I wonder if he put peoples nose out of joint going straight in as a CO from another ‘hat’ regiment?

Sorry about this but that isn't true, when you undertake selection and even though my days were 60 years ago ish, the first thing you do is learn map reading. There were no judgment calls about if you could or couldn't, they taught you. My understanding is that they do the same thing today. So asking anybody about how to get somewhere is rubbish.

I will make it simple for you...

The point I was making is that said trooper was looking for Leeds castle on a map of Leeds, which is in Yorkshire OS sheet 289.

Leeds Castle is in Kent.OS sheet 148

Ergo he was looking for Leeds Castle on the wrong map sheet.

He probably could read a map very well. His knowledge about the place he was supposed to find on a map however left something to be desired.

As to it being true. I was there when it happened.

I will make it simple for you...

The point I was making is that said trooper was looking for Leeds castle on a map of Leeds, which is in Yorkshire OS sheet 289.

Leeds Castle is in Kent.OS sheet 148

Ergo he was looking for Leeds Castle on the wrong map sheet.

He probably could read a map very well. His knowledge about the place he was supposed to find on a map however left something to be desired.

As to it being true. I was there when it happened.
So you're saying they built Leeds castle in the wrong place ?

Latest Threads