RLC to para Reg

Truxx

LE
I seem to recall that until the sixties(?), the Parachute Regiment didn't accept officers directly. All DE officers had to transfer in from other regiments, or in Phil Neame's case, another service.

Edit. H Jones' biography by John Wilsey gives the idea that all subalterns of a given era were encouraged if not expected to have an attachment elsewhere, be it Parachute Regiment, SAS or AAC. H chose the Paras whilst a contemporary of his, Paddy King-Fretts passed SAS selection, both going on to command units in their chosen worlds. It seems YOs of the fifties and sixties were afforded vastly more latitude in their early career. Notwithstanding the the fact that the army was about four times the size it is now.
Jacko Page (para and SAS) commanded an armoured squadron (RSDG) in Gulf War 1.

Is that why they have had a Guards Platoon in 3 Para for a number of years. Major Keeble the 2/ic of 2 Para at Goose Green who took over as CO was from the Royal Anglians. If that is the defination, all the soldiers on the bridge at Arnhem including John Frost were hats.
These are all fallacious arguments, I just stated my experience that's all. The fact that loads of ex hats have served in the regiment doesn't change the fact that the regimental ethos is like the mafia.

Euclid

War Hero
When I was there the first time round, I arrived shortly after the Current CGS had taken over as Comd 16X. I have it on good authority that when he addressed one of the Para Bn, one of the questions he was asked (shouted from the back) was "So when are you going to do P-Company?!" He apparently took it in good humour.
Sappers were the worst offenders.
Remembrance Sunday couple of years ago. To someone in civvies with a rack.
‘So who did you serve with?’
‘9 Sqn’
‘Oh, the RAF?’
‘No - ‘9 Sqn, paras’
‘So you were in the Parachute Regt?’
‘Well, airborne’
‘So not in the parachute Regt?’
‘No, Royal Engineers’
‘So why didn’t you say so?’

FFS - they fall for it every time.

needlewaver

War Hero
Jacko Page (para and SAS) commanded an armoured squadron (RSDG) in Gulf War 1.

And Tom Beckett who originated in the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars, and commanded 1 Para.

Never having been an officer I am intrigued how some careers develop. Jacko Page's I can sort of comprehend as many arms and services have exchanges; I'd have just loved to have seen Tom Beckett's Squadron Leader's/desk officer's face when he comes in and says "I've got this idea..."

‘9 Sqn’
‘Oh, the RAF?’
‘No - ‘9 Sqn, paras’
‘Well, airborne’
‘No, Royal Engineers’

I raise you 7 (hat) RHA. Somehow they never refer to themselves as '7 Para' when there’s an actual para in earshot...

Just because you are a Para CO, have two VC's , a barracks named after you and the whole regiment parades every year to honour your name doesn't stop you from being a hat.

‘9 Sqn’
‘Oh, the RAF?’
‘No - ‘9 Sqn, paras’
‘Well, airborne’
‘No, Royal Engineers’

A conversation that never happened.

Apart from in your imagination.

UKTAP

LE
‘9 Sqn’
‘Oh, the RAF?’
‘No - ‘9 Sqn, paras’
‘Well, airborne’
‘No, Royal Engineers’

7th Regiment Royal Horse Artillery are the worst. With 216 Signal Squadron a close second.

Secret Santa brought me that book by Ant SAS are you tough enough Middleton last Xmas.

Not the worst read I've ever had, but he's very scathing of his time amongst all that Airborne boll0cks and like everyone else who wants to sniff his c0ck, I firmly believe him.

Euclid

War Hero
7th Regiment Royal Horse Artillery are the worst. With 216 Signal Squadron a close second.
It’s the Airborne Brotherhood! Bit like the DOxbridge brotherhood - the only people using the term being those who could only get into Durham.

Stuart Tootal started off in a Scottish regiment before transferring and commanding 3 PARA in Afghanistan.

In the book Contact, by AFN Clarke, he refers to the Royal Marines and the SAS at craphats. He gets a bit miffed when he spots a few SAS guys who he recognises from when they failed at DEPOT PARA,. I don't know whether this is from when he was a recruit (he is an ex-ranker), or from his time as a Recruit Platoon commander. Either way, he is wondering, "How did they pass SAS selection, when they can't pass our course?"

Type 66

Old-Salt
Stuart Tootal started off in a Scottish regiment before transferring and commanding 3 PARA in Afghanistan.

In the book Contact, by AFN Clarke, he refers to the Royal Marines and the SAS at craphats. He gets a bit miffed when he spots a few SAS guys who he recognises from when they failed at DEPOT PARA,. I don't know whether this is from when he was a recruit (he is an ex-ranker), or from his time as a Recruit Platoon commander. Either way, he is wondering, "How did they pass SAS selection, when they can't pass our course?"
Because they mature, they get stronger and fitter!

Secret Santa brought me that book by Ant SAS are you tough enough Middleton last Xmas.

Not the worst read I've ever had, but he's very scathing of his time amongst all that Airborne boll0cks and like everyone else who wants to sniff his c0ck, I firmly believe him.
I think the guys in 9 Para Sqn RE were probably scathing of Ant Middleton during his service in the squadron and no doubt thought he was a cock.

UKTAP

LE

Sounds like an utter thundercúnt. People like that are a stain on the reputation of their Regiments.

Latest Threads