Rlc tent pegging team

Discussion in 'RLC' started by DB216LOKDVR, Nov 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there any members of the RLC Tent Pegging Team on ARRSE?

If so, please PM me with the Teams contact details.

Or if any Loggies out there and they know of the Teams contact address etc, would they also please PM them to me.

Thank you.

2. DB216LOKDVR,

This is your man. Your Google powers are weak young one.:)

ACA Profile

Shiny

3. Thank you Shiny.

4. I have to ask? What is your interest in this strange and frankly bizarre "sport"?

5. As a hobby I make military related items from leather (WW1 trench art style) and carry out repairs to military leather equipment.

On the Cav & Tankies thread there was the mention of pouches or buckets to hold lancers and I would like to meet up with somebody with one so that I could use his as a template.

Being ex RCT I believe that I would get a better response from the RLC Tent Pegging Team. (Plus I live near to a number of RLC establishments).

Whilsts Tent Pegging is now a 'sport', in the days long gone it was the military equivilent of a panzer attack. The Lancers would ride through the enemy lines and remove the tent pegs with their lancers as the enemy were sleeping or rested in their tents, thus trapping the enemy under their canvas. The enemy would then be dispatched by follow up Lancers. (A tad 'unsporting' as the enemy could not fight back).

I am also trying to purchase a pair of WW1 pattern Breechers and riding boots in any condition to wear when giving demo's of WW1 trench art leather equipment making and repairs and I hope that a member of the RLC Team may be able to help me out.

I would be prepared to carry out repairs to the RLC Team equipment if requested.

I trust this is acceptable.

6. Thats me told then!

Hope it all works out. I have a pair of leather Chaps in my dressing up box if thats any help.

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If your RLC man doesn't come up with the goods, you could try this lot who love a spot of tent pegging:

Light Cavalry HAC Website

8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If its diagrams of lance buckets you need I posted a couple of links on t'other lace thread:

The BTA have diagrams that may help:

Drawings

How to make a lance

9. Sorry I did not wish to appear rude and on reflection I should have worded my post better.

'I also have in my dressing up box a chap in leather!!'

10. Many thanks.

I saw this before hence my request for details of the RLC Team.

I find it easier to see the completed item then use the plans to make it, I have one or two items I have made from plans and on inspecting the real item I have found I have incorrectly assembled it.

11. Serious nosey question. So, do you go to the War & Peace Show and the like?? I used to go to the W&P Show every year..........bloody marvellous for a day out and to show the kids the kind of toys dad used to play with.

12. I attended some of the shows this year with a living history society/re-enactors but kept in the back ground due to lack of suitable uniform etc.

I completed some repairs and made the odd item but next year I want to be 'front of house' correctly dressed etc.

I want to be able to demostrate the leather skills as per the WW1 period i.e. trench art items and field repairs etc and make items that are useful for todays military riders.

To some I may be a leather working WW1 WALT and to others I am demostrating an old and disapearing skill. (Each to his own).

13. Interesting thread, I made some lance points for a chap to go pigsticking in kenya once.I had to harden them, and hammer them through an old penny as a test without buckling. are there different points for this ? I though straight grained air dried ash was good for lances, certainly the wood for spears. If you are doing a craft you are no walt. way I look at it is you are discovering by your mistakes , with the aim of progress firmly in mind. you cannot claim to anything you are not as your work bears witness to your acheivements... no fisherman stories are possible !!

14. Nothing wrong with it, anyone who says otherwise is showing a degree of ignorance. I had a go at leather work it is not as easy as one may think. There used to be a really great Major at JHQ who had trained as a saddlemaker and he used to produce prototype holsters and mag pouches for me.

Are you going to hook up with one of the groups at the W&P show? I recall there are some WW1 displays, missed last year with the impending move but the year before I believe there was the full sized repro WW1 tank .......... bloody excellent.

As a general note to everyone, the War & Peace Show is in Kent and is well worth attending

15. I was unable to attend The War and Peace Show this year, but I attended a number of smaller events in the Midlands with a WW1 Living History Society.