RLC premotions.

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Trigger696, Nov 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, this is my first post on ARRSE so please dont take the pi$$ too much. :wink:
    I am planning to join the RLC as a driver early next year and was wondering if there was a "fast track" route for premotion. I am currently employed as a delivery driver on £20,000 a year. As i am married with one child i dont want to drop £5,000 a year to come in line with the £15,677 starting wage for too long. Information on any corses that will be realistically available to me will be great.

Thank you.

Wages info taken from RLC website: http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/condofserv/mm/afprb__change_to_soldier_rates_of_pay.htm
  2. You're in luck. Your spelling of Promotion was so close to actually being correct, you're overqualified for the RLC.

Expect to finish basic as a Sgt.

Hope this helps.
  3. Is 'premotion' that feeling you get in your bowels just before you have a dump?

4. Thanks for the heads up, i can put my mind at ease now... :roll:
  5. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry trigger no such luck in your trade group.

However if you work hard and impress, your maturity should assist you in the promotion stakes
  6. You stole my snide and cutting remark!

Mind if I share your cab, old man :roll:
  7. So what is the next step for the "basic" driver?
    Pte= DROPS driver etc
    JNCO= Lead driver?
    SNCO= ???
    Can anyone give me the "rough" guide to promotions within the RLC and what jobs they may undertake.

What can i expect to achieve if i keep the head down and just crack on with things?
    Year 1= Pte
    Year 2 =put forward for JNCO ?
    Year 3 =?? etc.

Thank you.
  8. Year 1= Pte
    Year2= Pte
    Year3= Pte
    Year4= Pte

[repeat to fade]
  9. Assuming this isn't a wah one of the better ways to get noticed and premoted (at most trades in the RLC) is to do the para/commando courses.(best get fit).
    I think the average time for a driver to go from Pte to l/cpl is roughly 4 to 5 years.
  10. Why limit your options as a driver? It is one of the harder trades to get promoted in.

The only fast tracking that your current quals will give you is less time getting to your first posting.

There are other trades that will give you more qualifications than the ones you already have and give you better opportunities for promotion.

I am not slating the driver trade but I think that you are limiting your options by choosing a trade that you are already doing.
  11. Join TA instead - best of both worlds!
  12. Air despatch gets you AD pay
  13. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I'm just rather concerned about your premonitions about corpses.
  14. You have to remember that being an army driver is not like being a civvy driver. You also maintain the vehicles, service them and change your own wheels. There is no fast track, only ability. If you are mature, motivated and work hard then yes, you can get promoted early, and by early I mean at your 2 year + point. It's not like the police where you get promoted simply by passing exams. You need experience and the correct aptitude and trade knowledge before any prospect of promotion.

As for job roles in the driver trade it works something like this.

Pte - Basic driver. Maintain vehicles, drive them and stag on.
    LCpl - Maintain vehicles, drive them, supervise Ptes. Section 2ic
    Cpl - Section commander. Inspect vehicles, supervise your section. Some driving.

There are of course many other jobs each rank does, but that is a basic overview.
  15. Get stuck in, keep your nose clean and let whatever maturity you hopefully have got, shine through.

I remember one older lad who came out to BFG (Or BAOR as it was at the time.) straight after Phase 2 Trg as Dvr Trade. He was about 23 year old, within 2 years he was a full screw. Admittedly, he was switched on to fcuk, you can get flyers though and maturity can be a contributing factor towards faster promotion.

In the end though, I'd say it was all a fcukin' lottery........ :party:

I joined as Dvr Trade at 18 and got my lance jack within 3.6 years, full screw within 6. Then I marked time for what seemed to be like forever before my third came. I've been playing 'catch up' ever since! :lol:

Go Mov Con or A.T.