RLC Officer stable belt

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by happy_as_a_hat, May 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been wondering since I commissioned into the RLC about the reasoning behind Officers wearing side fastening belts as opposed to the buckled ones...does anyone know of any historical/practical reasons behind the difference?
  2. Not sure about any historical reasoning but when I commissioned (late 90's) I bought both the side fastening and the "Elvis" belt. Fortunately I never wore the Elvis belt although at the time it was still a bit of a free for all. The only practical difference is that the Elvis belt buckle doubles as a bottle opener!
  3. My understanding is that a stable belt evolved from the practice of calvarymen putting a spare girth around their waists, hence the side buckle. If you look at horse's girth you will see the resemblance.

Of course I could be wrong.
  4. AGC(SPS) also wear the side fastening belt.
  5. It has always been that way.

When the great amalgamation of 1993 took place the orficers all got side fastening stable belts while the other ranks got the buckle belt, which was less size in width then the old RAOC/RCT etc stable belts (more the size of a WRAC stble belt.....