RLC officer careers

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to RMAS and am interested in a career in the RLC. The only thing is that info is scarce regarding officer careers in the corps, and I've just called the regimental HQ, asked to speak to the recruiting team and been hung up on. Screamers.

I've got a lot of questions and I'm hoping someone will be able to come along and answer them.

First up, do the corps offer any pre RMAS recruiting, outside of UOTC? For example, visits to different units etc.

Upon starting sandhurst, what is the process to becoming an RLC officer? What are the scores, visits etc that are needed, and are there any resources you would recommend reading ?

Post sandhurst, what is the RLC troop commanders course like and what does it involve?

How quickly can you take on a professional technical role, and how quickly does that come about? Are you expected to stay general duties for 2 years or so, or could I apply for an ATO course as soon as?

What are the steps and stages that are required to become an ATO? Asin courses needed, scores required, etc? Any detail appreciated tbh.

One last thing - if you're just going to use this thread to take the piss, do us all a favour and thin yourself out. If you're here to offer decent info, cheers in advance, it's much appreciated.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't have thought there'd be too many difficulties, assuming successful completion of the course, in persuading the RLC to take you after RMAS. I sense they're not exactly turning away top fifth candidates because they're massively over-subscribed.

I am astonished that the information that you seek is not available, in bucketloads, from the RLC, keen as they are to attract suitable officer candidates into the fold.

But then I spent 34 years in the RCT and latterly the RLC so part of me is unsurprised.

I am sure that the Corps still does familiarisation visits. Phone them up or write (a letter) and ask.

If all else fails get back on here and I will try and prod the appropriate personages.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be too many difficulties, assuming successful completion of the course, in persuading the RLC to take you after RMAS. I sense they're not exactly turning away top fifth candidates because they're massively over-subscribed.
They are routinely oversubscibed as it happens.

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to RMAS and am interested in a career in the RLC. The only thing is that info is scarce regarding officer careers in the corps, and I've just called the regimental HQ, asked to speak to the recruiting team and been hung up on. Screamers.

I've got a lot of questions and I'm hoping someone will be able to come along and answer them.
Just out of curiosity, if there's no information out there, why are interested in a career in the RLC? What made you pick on the RLC and not another arm?

...unless they're ovsersubscribed because lots and lots of young folk want to be bomb doctors?

...unless they're ovsersubscribed because lots and lots of young folk want to be bomb doctors?
Double edged sword that one. Not everyone is attracted by the prospect. There are still plenty of other interesting options though despite the Army's determined drive to root out anyone who might know a bit about anything.

Actually a sharp DRLC a while back ramped up the sell whilst at the same time refusing to take other corps rejects. The word got around that unless RLC was your first choice you might as well not bother.

Which is why I am a little confused as to why the OP has struggled. Unless playing hard to get is part of the ploy.

I am astonished that the information that you seek is not available, in bucketloads, from the RLC, keen as they are to attract suitable officer candidates into the fold.
A lot of basic info is out there, but there's a lot of gaps that get exacerbated by a poor recruiting process that isn't afraid to chin off candidates

They are routinely oversubscibed as it happens.
Do you know if this hasn't led to the RLC having a higher standard for people wanting to enter? Where about some do they sit in relation to other regiments in this respect?

Just out of curiosity, if there's no information out there, why are interested in a career in the RLC? What made you pick on the RLC and not another arm?
As it happens, I did selection as a Royal Marines Officer and passed. I did a POV to 45 commando in the run up to them being lead commando and found that it wasn't the role for me. I did however get speaking to some CLR bods and an RLC ATO who was atached to the group as part of 821 EOD&S sqn. Decided that this was the kind of role I'd rather do.

Unless playing hard to get is part of the ploy
Keep your voice down, no ones meant to know that ;)

One last thing - if you're just going to use this thread to take the piss, do us all a favour and thin yourself out. If you're here to offer decent info, cheers in advance, it's much appreciated.
Rudeness is not a substitute for good leadership.

Leave the moderation to the moderators.

Rudeness is not a substitute for good leadership.

Leave the moderation to the moderators.
A fair point well made, and I apologise if I've come across as rude - I'm just aware threads on ARRSE can sometimes get sidetracked away from their purpose and I wanted this one to stay on topic and bear some good answers, which it now has.

They can, filtering knob heads is a good skill to have, especially if you aspire to a hobby badge be an ATO.