RLC Jobs.

I heard that there is a Train driving trade in the RLC!

Is this true!? Where do you get more info on this trade?

thanks

Don't let BPS666 know there is another trade in the RLC FFS :D

donkeydick said:
Don't let BPS666 know there is another trade in the RLC FFS :D
For mongs like that we need to invent a new trade - Human shield or sandbag.

Isn't 275 Railway Troop RLC(V) based at Bicester for the military railway facilities? With the parent unit being 79 Railway Squadron at Marchwood (17 P&M Regt)

I think there is also a Reg detachment based at Bicester.

Mike_2817 said:
Isn't 275 Railway Troop RLC(V) based at Bicester for the military railway facilities? With the parent unit being 79 Railway Squadron at Marchwood (17 P&M Regt)
Yes, Yes and Yes!

M

Mr_Logic

dingerr said:
There certainly is.

Railway Operator

Its a very small trade though and promotion is very slow.
I'm not sure I agree about the promotion. The trade is about 30 strong at best and they have one WO1 position and at least one WO2 position. I understand the pyramid is a reasonable shape and that able candidates can progress as well as in any trade. When a Railwayman joins up he has a one in thirty chance of making WO1, much better odds than being a Rad Op.

Promotion to LCpl and Cpl is, on average, slow across most of the driver related trades. However, for those who make WO1 before their twenty year point, they have been promoted about every third year, much like half of the trades in the Corps, surely.

I guess thats why you're called Mr Logic. :)

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Mike_2817 said:
Yes, Yes and Yes!
Is there a railway job at 165 Regt?

or is it all just militant, comunist dockers?

dingerr said:
I think there is also a Reg detachment based at Bicester.
I think all Railway Operators are taught at Bicester, Regular & TA. So there must be a regular establishment as well?

Edited to add. Link names it as the Rail Division of the Defence Movement School.

dingerr said:
There certainly is.

Railway Operator

Thanks for the link!

I had a look at the info page, but still have some questions!

What exactly do Train Operators do day to day? (I expect that they dont drive trains 24/7 - 365 days a year, up an down Southampton!)

How difficult is it to transfer to this CEG?

The qualification bit seemed a bit vague! Could you go work for GNER when you retired, with army training? Hypothetically that is!

What pay band are they on?

If a person does transfer, would they lose rank and pay?

Thanks for all the info already!

You going from Nursing to Train Driving!!! Bit of a career change! :?

LeSAUSAGE said:
dingerr said:
There certainly is.

Railway Operator

Thanks for the link!

I had a look at the info page, but still have some questions!

What exactly do Train Operators do day to day? (I expect that they dont drive trains 24/7 - 365 days a year, up an down Southampton!)

How difficult is it to transfer to this CEG?

The qualification bit seemed a bit vague! Could you go work for GNER when you retired, with army training? Hypothetically that is!

What pay band are they on?

If a person does transfer, would they lose rank and pay?

Thanks for all the info already!

You wouldnt walk straight into a driving Job with a TOC, but it would give you a good head start over other civvys applying for a overpaid seat warmers, sorry I meant train drivers job, the quals are different.

Regards to a transfer, it used to be something like, transfer and keep your rank, but you must reach relevant qual for rank within a specified time or you lose you rank, I dunno, someone else will put you right!

Yes and you should get some pre-training in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Scally RLC 0
Redshaggydog Royal Signals 5
Jip Travolta RLC 16