RLC Dress Regs

Discussion in 'RLC' started by happy_as_a_hat, May 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard a rumbling about some new RLC dress regs that have been produced recently...as I am out of the Corps loop can someone help me out by updating me on any changes?

2. Are you on about the rules which have been in force since 1994?

"All ranks of the RLC shall be attired in an unwashed uniform which is too small or too large, liberally stained with POL products and shall be complemented with a grease stained black sack with the proportions of a size 5 HLS"

If so, don't worry, nothing's changed.
  3. Last update I saw was that there is to be another version of female Mess Kit ( the Mk 3 or is it 4 by now?), a new pan Army Number 2 dress, and that silly little Regimental badges should not be worn on Mess kit - unless it's the Polish Eagle.

Oh and 8 Tpt Regt's bid to wear black HD jumpers, Black Norgy shirts and black T shirts uunder CS95 were thrown out by the Army Dress Ctte for being too RTR like.
  4. .......not to mention looking as Gay as a Big Brother contestant (or is that the idea??).

5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Dress regs used to be here:

..............................but you'll find it's under review and has been for many months.

Post your query on here and I'm sure someone will be able to find the answer for you.
  6. Tit.
  7. I'm also wondering (but didn't want to open a new thread) about the reasoning behind Officers wearing side fastening belts as opposed to the buckled ones...its a real pain in the backside when it comes to nipping to the loo!!!

It might also give me some more trivia with which to interest my non RLC comrades!
  8. General Melchett

Good one. Not sure why. Try posting the side fastening question in the Mil History forum for sensible answers.

I don't recall any of the forming Corps wearing a side fastening stable belt though.
  9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

It's considered the officer pattern belt, though I don't know why. Many, for sheer practical reasons, abandoned it for the front fastening buckle. I had a CO that wouldn't allow officers to wear it so many of us went to the plastic green belt in preference. Personally, I prefer the look of the front fastening belt.
  10. Can we, as Officers, get away with wearing a front fastening or would one be branded a cheeky chappie by both peers and puzzle palace dwellers and reeled in?

11. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Depends on the CO, but it's the kind of thing that has whole policy teams beavering away about in the puzzle palace.
  12. Side fastening belts represent the girth strap that fixes a saddle onto a horse, which we apparently used to ride when it was necessary to tower over our 'other ranks' and whip 'em into shape. :)

It's also a reason why we have to fall down stairs everytime we wear Mess Dress. Spurs, stairs & alcohol are a dodgy mix.

As for front fastening belts.... I wore my soldiers belt (that I had to buy :() all the way through my career, both Commissioned and Non Commissioned.

13. General Melchett

You say that it's side fastening from officers being on horseback, but all ranks used to wear side fastening and in some regiments all ranks wear the side fastening type.

Have a look on here.