RLC assumes responsibility for AAC Groundcrew, good or bad??

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Ergo_bibamus, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have it on good authority that due to forthcoming defence cuts the Royal Logistic Corps will soon be taking responsibility for all AAC Groundcrew careers, from training, through to deployment and support of all army aviation. It would more than likely be around the middle of 2012, possibly July. With the amalgamation of the 2 Regiments at Wattisham into an AH force, and the return of the Germany units to Yeovilton in 2012/13, it would be designed to coincide with the re-structuring of the AAC. That would involve all AAC ‘groundies’ rebadging to the RLC, and as a result, would be eligible for postings across the whole of the RLC where they employ similar trades. My question therefore is this: would it be welcomed or not?? I personally think it a good idea, as the role of an AAC ground crewman is basically logistics, as in the delivery (to the fighting asset), or bombs, bullets and bowsers, and when they’re in camp they look after the blankets!! Simples!!

Comments please??
  2. What? Are you suggesting that a cadre of pilots will remain AAC and everyone else be other arms?
  3. it works in other NATO countries, and after all, the REME engineers/technicians are administered by the REME, so why not movethe groundies to the logistical SMEs??
  4. Anyone else thinking the RLC are getting TOO large? and I don't mean their waist sizes.
  5. not as good as mine...

utter BS....next
  6. see below
  7. Can't see a Corps surviving with only a few officers [relatively] manning it. AGC(ETS) is probably/maybe smaller but it is part of the larger AGC.

Looks prime meat for an RAF takeover...............
  8. Agreed DD - it must be a wah!
  9. if you look at the bigger picture it makes sense that the RLC takes over the whole of the groundcrew side of army avaition and only aircrew be badged into the AAC as that would give the corps an elite regiment status which can only help in the recruitment of more and therefore better aircrew

10. Utter pish old boy!
  11. It does stand for Really Large Corps after all....

They could always divide it by functions; for example, the transportation could go to a corps of transport, the ordnance and stores could go to a .......oh bugger.....
  12. The Inf is larger than the RLC.
  13. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I suspect the RLC will not be quite so large after the Strategic Defence Review.
  14. We wouldn't be much of an army if the support was gigger than the spearhead, would we?? :?
  15. feel free to correct me, but the support IS bigger than the spearhead isn't it? If you look at the combat support and combat service support arms compared to just the combat arms and how many are employed in each.