RLC Air Despatch

I am about to start my intial training on 11-10-10, my trade training will be for Driver/Air Despatcher, if anyone could pls give me some more information of the regiments involved in AD it would be greatly appreciated.

I am about to start my intial training on 11-10-10, my trade training will be for Driver/Air Despatcher, if anyone could pls give me some more information of the regiments involved in AD it would be greatly appreciated.
There is only one regular unit that does AD, 47 AD Sqn. 47 Sqn is part of 29 Regt RLC. The Regt is based in South Cerney, the Sqn in Lyneham.

Somebody will confirm I'm sure but I didnt think you could join straight into AD as they have their own selection process.

Driver / Air Despatcher - British Army Website

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
There is only one regular unit that does AD, 47 AD Sqn. 47 Sqn is part of 29 Regt RLC. The Regt is based in South Cerney, the Sqn in Lyneham.

Somebody will confirm I'm sure but I didnt think you could join straight into AD as they have their own selection process.

Driver / Air Despatcher - British Army Website
Thank you for the info. Im not to sure what you mean by a seperate selection process for AD, I have past selection to start phase 1 training and I kno if i dont pass the phase 2 I will told to do something else as a trade, but on my joing papers it says that I have the position to do trade training as a Driver/Air despatcher. again thank you for the information on the regiment and squadron.

Thank you for the info. Im not to sure what you mean by a seperate selection process for AD, I have past selection to start phase 1 training and I kno if i dont pass the phase 2 I will told to do something else as a trade, but on my joing papers it says that I have the position to do trade training as a Driver/Air despatcher. again thank you for the information on the regiment and squadron.
You may have a position however there is plenty of competition for the few course slots so if you don't come up to scratch you will not even make the course and will be posted out. Make sure your fitness and attitude are sorted. Oh and good luck it's a cracking unit

You may have a position however there is plenty of competition for the few course slots so if you don't come up to scratch you will not even make the course and will be posted out. Make sure your fitness and attitude are sorted. Oh and good luck it's a cracking unit
I'd second that. I have never served in 47 but have worked with them on several occasions; cracking bunch (if a little bonkers).

Start my basics on the 23rd of may. First job choice was air despatch. Can't wait to get cracking on with it. Never know, might end up workin with u. Good luck in basics. I got a while to wait but fingers crossed I'll be ok :)

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Ok, i am going to sound like a complete cnut now but... why? Dont they just chuck things out the back of hercs? and make sure your bags are weighed properly before flying out from South Cerney?

Not an attempt to get some one to bite by the way, before you jump down my throat :)

They're very speshul in their own right. Why do you think they strut around Lyneham in para smocks with funny coloured hats on.

They're very speshul in their own right. Why do you think they strut around Lyneham in para smocks with funny coloured hats on.
What's the likelihood of doin anything on the ground in Afghanistan? Are you up in the air all the time or do u have the opportunitys to join the convoys going out to bases?

What's the likelihood of doin anything on the ground in Afghanistan? Are you up in the air all the time or do u have the opportunitys to join the convoys going out to bases?
You sound like your more interested in ground operations, why not join RLC Driver? Have a look at the series Road warriors to see what they get upto.

You sound like your more interested in ground operations, why not join RLC Driver? Have a look at the series Road warriors to see what they get upto.
I saw that series mate. Was brilliant. Already had my date to start my basics on the 23rd of may to train for air dispatch. What would happen if I was to change at this late stage? I do like the look of AD but I also would like to get my feet on the ground and do something in that type of role. Just wondered if they had the opportunity to do that whilst in operations.

I saw that series mate. Was brilliant. Already had my date to start my basics on the 23rd of may to train for air dispatch. What would happen if I was to change at this late stage? I do like the look of AD but I also would like to get my feet on the ground and do something in that type of role. Just wondered if they had the opportunity to do that whilst in operations.
I have heard if you change you are de-allocated your training spot, then have to be re-allocated again, however you cant change without good reason and your recruiter has to get permission from the ADSO who interviewed you. Go onto Armyjobs facebook page and ask which job, how many people and what grades are awaiting the new job you want to apply for. This will help you decide if you want to change as there may be a few dozen with higher grades than you.

Here is the link.
Army Jobs | Facebook

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D RLC 15
Golfer RLC 20
M RLC 37