RL, KRH and RTR first for WGCC

It is official, RL, KRH and RTR will be opened up to women in 2016, with the remainder of the RAC regiments opened up by 2018 and the infantry RM and RAF Regt by the end of 2018 (with the caveat that timings may speed up or slow down dependant on circumstances).

Apparently the three first regiments were selected because of their roles (least likely to cause injury). Interesting that HCR were not selected, given that the mounted ceremonial role would presumably be an additional draw for some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It is official, RL, KRH and RTR will be opened up to women in 2016, with the remainder of the RAC regiments opened up by 2018 and the infantry RM and RAF Regt by the end of 2018 (with the caveat that timings may speed up or slow down dependant on circumstances).

Apparently the three first regiments were selected because of their roles (least likely to cause injury). Interesting that HCR were not selected, given that the mounted ceremonial role would presumably be an additional draw for some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why not RDG and QRH as well? There's only one Ajax and two heavy Regiments there.

Why not RDG and QRH as well? There's only one Ajax and two heavy Regiments there.
No idea, that's just what it says in the ABN.

I think that they are only opening a few regiments up to try to generate a bit of a concentration of women in them, rather than have one or two in each regiment across the RAC. This is informed speculation, rather than guaranteed fact.

Interesting that HCR were not selected, given that the mounted ceremonial role would presumably be an additional draw for some.
Couldn’t face the expense of remodelling the breastplates?? They seem to manage in King’s Troop RHA.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No idea, that's just what it says in the ABN.

I think that they are only opening a few regiments up to try to generate a bit of a concentration of women in them, rather than have one or two in each regiment across the RAC. This is informed speculation, rather than guaranteed fact.
Makes sense, although I suspect that 'concentration' will end up being one or two women.

Makes sense, although I suspect that 'concentration' will end up being one or two women.
I agree, numbers will be quite low, and the current physical standards will contribute to this. It's almost inevitable that this will come under further scrutiny in a few years and questions asked as to why women are so poorly represented......and the only solution available will be gender fair standards.

At least this gives the Army Sgt Maj another gash opportunity to tweet his master's mantra #maximising talent whilst blissfully ignoring nosediving morale amongst the talent we already have.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
At least this gives the Army Sgt Maj another gash opportunity to tweet his master's mantra #maximising talent whilst blissfully ignoring nosediving morale amongst the talent we already have.
Glad someone else has said it. After a seemingly good start, the current CGS is doing an appalling job. He doesn't seem to care about the morale of his army, or the fact that his soldiers are signing off in record numbers. His main effort seems to be internal propaganda to say that everything is going swimmingly rather than addressing any of the real issues. That sanctimonious Twitter account is the main symptom of everything that's wrong with Carter's failed leadership.

The Army Sergeant Major wasn't too happy with the JNCOs in Pirbright telling him how it was. He espoused how LEADERS was a great change and that we need to move forward and embrace it.

When asked about "black economy" lessons out with the CMS and how they were contradictory to ITG policy he simply shrugged his shoulders and said it has always been like that. You can't gob off about change one moment then say we should carry on doing something because it's always been that way, especially as the CoC are quite willing to use policy to string you up when it suits but turn a blind eye if it benefits them. Countless examples were given to him.

The Army Sergeant Major wasn't too happy with the JNCOs in Pirbright telling him how it was. He espoused how LEADERS was a great change and that we need to move forward and embrace it.

When asked about "black economy" lessons out with the CMS and how they were contradictory to ITG policy he simply shrugged his shoulders and said it has always been like that. You can't gob off about change one moment then say we should carry on doing something because it's always been that way, especially as the CoC are quite willing to use policy to string you up when it suits but turn a blind eye if it benefits them. Countless examples were given to him.
I know you probably don't but;

No one seriously thinks that these ever breeding Command Sgt Maj types have any sort of power, sway or influence.

Do they?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think I have a date with CGS's briefing team in the near future. I don't intend to hold back.

I know you probably don't but;

No one seriously thinks that these ever breeding Command Sgt Maj types have any sort of power, sway or influence.

Do they?

I always hold a sliver of hope that he may have a comment or two for the CGS but I am well aware that even though he "has the ear of the CGS" I'm sure he has little to no effect on whatever direction Whitehall/Westminster gives him.

If they raise and not lower the standards you may find crews with a few well built ladies - I'm pretty sure if Serena W turned up for some track bashing she'd give most blokes a run for their money.

I think I have a date with CGS's briefing team in the near future. I don't intend to hold back.
Have you 'civvied' up your cv yet?

iirc this was debated on R4 Today the other morning, the token talking voice officer was saying that he thinks change will be very slow,he had held a meeting with serving "girls" and whilst some had expressed an interest in armour none had shown any desire to try for infantry.

I hope it didn't really go down like that, I'd expect the Army Sgt Maj to listen to the NCOs, answer where he can, record questions where he can't and tug on the ear of the CGS for answers, then return with those answers. This isn't hard, it just follows on from every other CoC relationship from plt comd/plt sgt upwards.

Black economy, signing off, shortages and the CoCs self efficient use of policy are common complaints and will remain so.

It sounds like the whole Army is becoming like the AAC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D RAC 22
dirk_digler RAC 17
Flyingrockdj RAC 0