Rivals to Windows Media Player

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
... which is actually a load of big old ladies pants.

Are there any better (free to download) media players out there?

You could try Miro. Does a lot more than just play videos though so it might be overkill. As mentioned below, for a minimalist player that just works Media Player Classic is the business.

www.trymiro.com

I'd echo the advice about avoiding iTunes, Real and Quicktime, they're bloeated piles of garbage.

Media Player Classic for me, although codecs are required it has a small footprint and does everything required for all media types.

Jim

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've downloaded Winamp, and it looks good and works well - much better than Media Player on both scores. Loads of customizations if that floats your boat. I'll try it for a while.

Another vote for VLC media player - free, open source and no need for codecs or any of that other rubbish. It just works .....

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
well, after six hours of constant playing music through Winamp it hasn't skipped or failed once. Media Player couldn't play two tracks without getting all emotional and sulking.

I think I'll stick with Winamp for now.

Media Monkey gold for the mp3 m4a collection VLC for the rest, never had a single problem with either

Three players do the job for me. If there is a problem playing a file with one of them, then one or both of the other two will work. The three are two which have been mentioned already

Vlc
Media Player Classic

and the third is KMPlayer

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I've stopped using either Itunes or WMP lately and swtiched over to 'Spotify' - all the music I want, create my own playlists, it's all free, streamed to my PC and doesn't c0ck up my bandwidth either.

Lavverly!

Biped said:
I've stopped using either Itunes or WMP lately and swtiched over to 'Spotify' - all the music I want, create my own playlists, it's all free, streamed to my PC and doesn't c0ck up my bandwidth either.

Lavverly!
I'll second that, I just put Spotify on my PC this morning (2.4MB download) and it's absolutely fantastic. Heard one advert in about 30 mins of music, and it's got by far the best selection of tunes I've ever seen. I guess this really is the end of the personal music library.

Re bandwidth- it's slowed me down a little (can't game online with it running) but the internet is still perfectly browseable, and thats on a 512k line.

So recommended 9/10 to other Arrsers.