Risk Assessments

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Steve_Chester, Oct 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Does anyone have any risk assessments made up CBRN, Shooting etc... I have them for the PFT/CFT but I am after these as well.

Thanks.

2. Sorry mate, and I am not having a pop at you, BUT

This is where we get it so so so wrong.

Health & Safety is/was/should be about doing as much as is “reasonably practicable” to ensure our individuals safety.

However, because we have to prove we are doing the right thing, we follow the path of “GENERIC” risk assessments.

There is no such thing as a generic risk assessment, because each individual activity, taking place in each individual location under each individual circumstance is unique.

Let me explain.

A group of soldiers doing a PFT on a running track (god forbid) may have a collective risk of getting dizzy. A group of soldiers doing a PFT around the outside perimeter of a camp on public roads will face different risks, likewise soldier inside camp running a PFT cutting across roads will probably feel safer, but face the same risk as above.

Simplistic as the above may be, the point of the risk assessment is (should be) that the person in charge (the competent person) uses his/her experience to look at the risks of that task on that day/time and ensures all the people taking part in the activity are aware (briefed) of any UNUSUAL danger, then puts PRACTICAL measures in place to stop/reduce such danger.

Simply ticking boxes to satisfy needs is why it all goes pear shaped IMHO

Sorry mate, the answers no :D :oops:

3. And we wonder why we get Health and Safety so wrong, then blame the "H&S nazies"

Read JSP 375, then understand why YOU need to complete them

4. Thanks for the thoughts on the process of risk assessment.

I'm still after a generic risk assessment for using the CBRN chamber though.

5. All CBRN chambers are different, as are the people that go in there. How can a risk assessment for a chamber used in Colchester be the same for a chamber used in Nescliffe? A lot of the points will be the same, but they must be adapted for the individual situation

6. Thanks for the update. I am aware of the variations in chambers etc and the fact that I need to adapt this for different situations etc..

What I was after was a basic template to modify as I see fit, as opposed to just changing the date on a template etc...

7. Look at JSP 375. All the forms are in there, or if you have access to DII/LCSSR look on the Defence Intranet and do a search. All the templates are there

8. Where would I find the JSP document? I'll have to nip in the TAC tomorrow now that I have the DII machines in there.

Thanks for your help.

9. JSP 375 should be held by every single unit within the 3 services (try QM if you have one). If not again look on Defence Intranet, most JSPs are now available online

Infact, I'll tell you what, I will find it for you

CLICK HERE

10. Many thanks.

11. AH HA! Youve obviously been to Thiepval Barracks Lisburn!

I dont get dizzy on my 6 laps, just lose the will to live

12. I've done a PFT on the PTI course down at Aldershot, six laps of the track. Not the most inspiring way of doing it but at least you know how far to go etc...