Rising cost of living

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ugly, Sep 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

0A has just returned from the weekly shop and we have worked out that our shopping bill has risen by nearly 50% in a year.
    we are paying as much now for our monthly food bill as we paid for our last mortgage.
    Not sure how long this can last?

2. It will last until the government has bled you dry, me dry, your dog dry and every fcuker else dry. The sad thing is it will continue to last for the foreseeable future. As much as we like to blame GB (a thousand curses on his head) it is a global problem and not confined to the UK. NAAFI (the unter stasi of NL) have just hiked their prices 'again' well above the UK average and most of the German shops are now right up there sainsbury's in terms of price. Fuel is on the way down over here, but is still higher than the UK.

3. Agreed its getting so bad I might have to get the dogs to earn their keep... although the shock of actually having to do some work may kill them...

4. I think the trick is to shop how we used to shop and source from a variety of shops rather than all under one roof,trouble is a lot of the independent traders have been pushed out by the supermarkets.

5. Can I just say:-

1. Shoot more game
    2. Mortgage finished this month.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

NL is trying to soften the blow by erm, borrowing 90 billion from the global banking system. They haven't worked out how it's going to be paid back yet, but they do know by who . . . .

7. if the country pays the loan back at £1 a year then we should see the debt cleared by the time NL are electable again!

I haven't included interest in that sum!

8. Don't let the wife shop, they always buy so much sh.it you never need or eat, and go pikey! Don't be tied to brands.

9. So that'll be 90 of the 100 billion they used to bail out NR then.

10. Probably the first signs of what is going to happen. According to this months National Geographic talking about soil fertility on a global scale.

and

Consider that the human population continues to grow, predicted to be 8.3 billion in 2030. I think we are heading for problems-lots of them.

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Shop late in the evening. At 8.30 or so, depending on establishment, the staff go round reducing to half price or less all the goods due to go out of date overnight.

And as all TOGs know, the date is a 'best before', not 'eat before' date.

12. The throw away days are at an end although One Eye and the world of advertising seem to think otherwise, as the job market collapses which it seemingly is doing then the bite realy willl start.

on a wider note sadly the planet cannot sustain humanity at its present chavbreeding rates as resources and while i dont relish or wish for natural culls there not happening at the rate required to sustain our civilised lifestyles.

On the plus side Arrsers are eminatly better able to survice in these coming times on so many levels...

Forget the coup although lamposts and liabour are a perfect union when it gets bad arrse tribes will rise to the top of the food chain...

PS what 'grown up and mr D' the ability to cook and larder also are skill that will stand us well.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We already practise thriftyness, grow our own veggies, will be getting chickens for the back garden this month, take a brace of birds and cash for beating, make our own pies and sausages, its the essentials rising which hurt. Luckily the tea lady has been baking her own bread for over a year, about a loaf a day and we get our flour really cheap from a baker I shoot with.
    I suppose nothing will be wasted, I bout a brace of partridge for a pound last feb at a supermarket. they are still in the freezer, I'll have to bone them out and hot smoke to add to the game pies. I make them with hot water pastry like pork pies.
    I have all sorts in the freezer, time to make some pies!

14. If you've got the space and time, grow/raise you own food [or a greater portion of it]. It worked for my family after the war and it's working now for me, especially this year with all the glorious weather we have so far.
    [Hungary]