Rise of the Woodpikey.

If you had a big supply of newspapers, sawdust or waste materiel, a hydraulic press and a dry store you could probably manufacture enough fuel blocks for the year.

Not really worth it when there are unlimited pallets and packing wood on every industrial estate in the country.

bentobox

Old-Salt
If you had a big supply of newspapers, sawdust or waste materiel, a hydraulic press and a dry store you could probably manufacture enough fuel blocks for the year.

Not really worth it when there are unlimited pallets and packing wood on every industrial estate in the country.
Do you burn pallet wood? I always thought it was treated with all manner of nasty stuff to prevent rotting etc?

Cheap 'one use' delivery pallets or packing crates are handy to use for kindling. They also have the advantage of being easier to dismantle so they can fit into the boot of the car when patrolling the local industrial parks...

The sturdier 'multi-use' pallets are generally not the sort to use for firewood. Heat treated pallets are ok for kindling

Any pallet used to export products out of the country by law has to be treated to kill off any plant or animal life in the wood. This is done using heat, or a chemical pesticide called methane bromide.

Heat treated pallets would be ok to use as kindling, but you don’t want to be burning the ones treated with chemicals as they can release toxic fumes. Pallets that have been treated will have a stamp indicating this. The stamp will include the letters HT for heat treated or MB for those that have had the methane bromide treatment.

Any toxic fumes are going up your chimney anyway so I doubt they are released into your room, the stove is a vacuum drawing in air not emitting fumes if it's properly installed.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Burned pallets for years.

Either a full dismantle gives you 9blocks and a number of long planks to split and cut for kindle.

Or saw down through the planks, gives you 9 blocks with a bit of plank attached and a large number of short planks to split.

The latter method does lead to a lot of nails in the ashes but is a dam sight faster and less effort

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

This looks interesting bit of kit if you are afraid of lopping off a finger with an axe.

In this the blade faces upwards, you pop wood on top and smack with a hammer.

Either a full dismantle gives you 9blocks and a number of long planks to split and cut for kindle.

Or saw down through the planks, gives you 9 blocks with a bit of plank attached and a large number of short planks to split.

The latter method does lead to a lot of nails in the ashes but is a dam sight faster and less effort
My in my old house (which I ran the CH off as well) pallets were my main fuel the chipboard blocks are ideal for keeping it in overnight.
With the added advantage of being free.
Ok there was the petrol for the chainsaw and diesel/veg oil to ferry them back and, well yes, the Land Rover repair bills -but that was just a hobby.

As for all the nasties they're treated with - I didn't like my neighbours.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
With all products for burning, the huge expense is picking it up, in large, expensive trucks, processing, bagging, selling it on..... the actual product is almost worthless.

I've got a source near me, where they sell you pine offcuts, kiln dried for a tenner a dumpy bag.

Not the best of wood, but it's almost free, plus the producer would not be able to dispose of it easily, otherwise, so it's a win- win.....
Where abouts is this place?

V2 with the cordless chainsaw. Much easier to pick the nails out of the grate than to pull them out of the pallet…

Where abouts is this place?

Durham....... you know those pre- fabricated roof trusses they use in housebuilding, well these are the offcuts.

No use to anybody else, but expensive for them to dispose of

Only problem is for that price you need a swap dumpy bag (or £3 ) and a trailer to pick up...... no deliveries, although I've heard of people with big trucks or trailers, buying them for a tenner, then charging another £20 to deliver.

bentobox

Old-Salt

This looks interesting bit of kit if you are afraid of lopping off a finger with an axe.

We have that, it's a great tool and as FF says, no fingers get a terminal manicure.

We have that, it's a great tool and as FF says, no fingers get a terminal manicure.

I always like to use softwood offcuts or pallets, no knots for my kindling.

I've found the safest way is to hold the axe handle right underneath the axe head, then the most you can swing it is a 4" radius, and if all your wood is around 9" long, you won't hit your hand.

If it doesn't split on that blow, it should at least be embedded, so you can take your hand away for another whack.

I like a mix of kindling, and if you can get plenty of pieces no more then 1/2" thick, laid jenga style on a bed of balled up newspaper, it'll be roaring in a couple of minutes, ready for some bigger pieces, I never need firelighters.

How fecking much….

on a different tack

Seems wood burners are bad for your health, another article in today’s Sunday telegraph

Latest Threads