Rise of the Woodpikey.

Don't see the point of paying top dollar for blocks of waste materiel, bark, tea leaves and recycled sofa fluff, how much is it costing them to produce?

Dry it, run it through a press and bag it.

Don't see the point of paying top dollar for blocks of waste materiel, bark, tea leaves and recycled sofa fluff, how much is it costing them to produce?

Dry it, run it through a press and bag it.

With all products for burning, the huge expense is picking it up, in large, expensive trucks, processing, bagging, selling it on..... the actual product is almost worthless.

I've got a source near me, where they sell you pine offcuts, kiln dried for a tenner a dumpy bag.

Not the best of wood, but it's almost free, plus the producer would not be able to dispose of it easily, otherwise, so it's a win- win.....

Major Sunray picked up some of these in Tesco the other night

I saw them the other day and the £7 price and kept walking, but they do seem to be quite effective.

Now, I've got a hydraulic press and I drink coffee, but the last time I kept my grounds for slug repellent I ended up with a mouldy bag and I don't see my big mug full a day keeping me through the winter.
I had a look at the method, most seem to be 50% wax and molasses and some oven time. SWAG* estimate came out at around 75p for a briquet about the size of a coke can. I found a reference to using sawdust as a binding agent but no details, which is annoying because my shed is ankle deep with it at times…

*Scientific Wild Assed Guess

I had a look at the method, most seem to be 50% wax and molasses and some oven time. SWAG* estimate came out at around 75p for a briquet about the size of a coke can. I found a reference to using sawdust as a binding agent but no details, which is annoying because my shed is ankle deep with it at times…

*Scientific Wild Assed Guess
Empty bog roll tubes and a splash of old veg oil with your sawdust and you have a firelighter.
Glanced a vid on youtube t'other day but when I went to look for it naturally I couldnt find it and ended up down a Gun Jesus rabbit hole.

Empty bog roll tubes and a splash of old veg oil with your sawdust and you have a firelighter.
Glanced a vid on youtube t'other day but when I went to look for it naturally I couldnt find it and ended up down a Gun Jesus rabbit hole.
Well at least it wasn’t time wasted:)

Do the empty big roll veg oil give off a significant smell from the burning oil?

Or tamp the sawdust down the middle of a Swedish fire torch with a drop of kerosene mixed with old cooking oil and flog them to the lazy who won't make their own.

Well at least it wasn’t time wasted:)

Do the empty big roll veg oil give off a significant smell from the burning oil?
I don't know but you shouldn't be able to smell it in the house anyway should you?

I know I don't, but then I haven't smelt anything for a couple of months after a mild cold - no idea what that's about :)

Or tamp the sawdust down the middle of a Swedish fire torch with a drop of kerosene mixed with old cooking oil and flog them to the lazy who won't make their own.
Mmm lovely money.

Once a year l make fire lighters using chainsaw wood chips and old candle ends, very easy to do and basically free. I use old plastic containers as molds, pack with the chips then heat up the wax and pour it on top, pop them out when cold. Whenever l need a fire lighter l just lop a piece off, they work great in windy conditions.

B4Rc0W.jpg

I'd like to see a wood stove hosed up to an oxygen cylinder, create a mini sun and burn away everything including the cast iron.

I did know somebody who created a fire organ which was stupidly dangerous and fun.

This is called a Rubens Tube. Very easy to make and impressive when fed with a synth that can control the wave shapes.

My other half used to work on fire shows at festivals around Europe. I'm more of your classical "what happens if we put this pram that was left outside on the road on a fire?" type. We left the burnt out pram on bricks outside the local school and I'm still astonished we didn't win some sort of art prize.

I set fire to my sisters bed when I was 4 and she was 2. She was in it at the time.
Despite my firebug tendencies and long history I was responsible for this.

The other bloke thought I was robbing her as he drove past so started kicking off at me until he saw the smoke and the old lass coughing. He didn't really believe it until he saw the chip pan on a metal grate with a damp tea towel over it. I let him call the fire brigade and fucked off to the pub.

JCC

LE
The stables near me keeps their horses on wood chips so this means gardeners don't want the stuff as the wood chips don't (or rather very slowly) rot down.

Currently they have mountains of the stuff. Is there any way it could be treated into a commercial product for burning? I wouldn't think people would want to burn a sort of "log" in the home as they may pong a touch.

The stables near me keeps their horses on wood chips so this means gardeners don't want the stuff as the wood chips don't (or rather very slowly) rot down.

Currently they have mountains of the stuff. Is there any way it could be treated into a commercial product for burning? I wouldn't think people would want to burn a sort of "log" in the home as they may pong a touch.

There is but it's like making charcoal. Slow smoulder with limited oxygen.

I was hoping you'd say squeeze it into logs and let them dry or something like that. Still thanks anyway.

Their sh1t their problem.
Out of interest I got some of the heatlogs lidl had in the other week which was some sort of compressed wood chippings.

I was actually quite impressed with the one I tried and keeping them for the really cold days.
It expanded like a concertina when it was burning and pumped out a fair bit of heat as it smouldered.

bentobox

Old-Salt
I set fire to my sisters bed when I was 4 and she was 2. She was in it at the time.
Despite my firebug tendencies and long history I was responsible for this.

The other bloke thought I was robbing her as he drove past so started kicking off at me until he saw the smoke and the old lass coughing. He didn't really believe it until he saw the chip pan on a metal grate with a damp tea towel over it. I let him call the fire brigade and fucked off to the pub.
Well done sir! (errr not setting fire to your sisters bed, the other thing)

Latest Threads