Rise of the Woodpikey.

Just be careful that the outer shaft doesn't split and leave you with the thin white composite core that can't be fixed. Toolstation are brilliant but a £16 splitter is for someone who would only use it now and then.

Myself, I use a 7lb sledge hammer with an Ash handle and a 12" long steel splitting wedge that I can resharpen on a grinding wheel in two minutes. I've heard good reports of those pointed splitting grenades but have never tried one.
Mine is a few years old and came with a (possibly hickory) wooden shaft, which didnt last long. The ash replacement has been better.
Wood Grenades work well, though they’re a little short and tend to disappear into the really knotty logs. Best used in conjunction with a couple of flat wedges.

If I wasn’t already doing well enough with a felling axe for the amount of wood I split, I‘d go for one of these:
But then I‘ve got a bit of a thing for a good bit of steel. If got the Forest axe from the same place and it’s superb.
The Fiskars stuff is generally good but I’d be cautious with using the poll as hammer as I’m not convinced it would be properly hardened for striking steel wedges.

Mine is a few years old and came with a (possibly hickory) wooden shaft, which didnt last long. The ash replacement has been better.
Wood Grenades work well, though they’re a little short and tend to disappear into the really knotty logs. Best used in conjunction with a couple of flat wedges.
I'll confirm that nothing worse than watching a grenade disappear into a log then spend an age trying to get it back!

I've got a 5tonne hyd log splitter but some times the round is too big for it or it's an odd shape I could do with it being modded to cut into 4 bits rather than 2

I just use a couple of hand axes and a lump hammer....... rather than faff around with knotty sections, I'm finding it easier to cut those into 5" slices with the chainsaw, then it's a lot easier to split them down further if needed

I just use a couple of hand axes and a lump hammer....... rather than faff around with knotty sections, I'm finding it easier to cut those into 5" slices with the chainsaw, then it's a lot easier to split them down further if needed.
yep, works most of the time, but some of these bits are so twisty, the only solution is to saw them into stove sized sections...
654D39A4-E33C-44BB-BDBB-31E9C03DFFB7.jpeg

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
So not having used the log burner for a bit gave the flue a quick check looks OK from the inspection hatch upwards (1st 2 pics) but from the hatch down to the fire looks like it could do with a clean any tips how to do it? Other than get steps in and stand above the hatch and gently use the sweep upwards?
Pay for a professional chimney sweep and get the certificate from them.
If you have a fire and no certificate your house insurance is invalidated

Got one of their cordless electric ones this year for taking down the higher bits of the trees that was coming down did a great job for the cash.
I have a 12” cordless Sthil saw. Great for heavy duty pruning, building fences and turning pallets into firewood. Doesn’t leak into rucksack/car boot and shares batteries with the hedge trimmer, quiet enough not to annoy the neighbours or attract attention but will section a telegraph pole. Use veg oil as chain lube and you can butcher ermmm carcasses…

Major Sunray picked up some of these in Tesco the other night

I saw them the other day and the £7 price and kept walking, but they do seem to be quite effective.

Now, I've got a hydraulic press and I drink coffee, but the last time I kept my grounds for slug repellent I ended up with a mouldy bag and I don't see my big mug full a day keeping me through the winter.

Latest Threads