Rise of the Woodpikey.

Stand by for banning of wood burners in the future.

They can’t tax wood burning so it’ll be manipulated as risk to health cause Celebre in the non room distant future.

I have to say though, I find it particularly odd that somebody can smell a wood burner inside their own home
The sale of <2m3 of ’wet’ wood was banned last year, so stand by for a tax hike on ’dry’ wood. I suspect that there are sufficient solid fuel fire places around to make banning difficult.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The sale of <2m3 of ’wet’ wood was banned last year, so stand by for a tax hike on ’dry’ wood. I suspect that there are sufficient solid fuel fire places around to make banning difficult.
That's going to be the fallback solution when the power goes off.

Youngest is four now. She’s too big to fit in the fire.

Try as I might I can’t get her to keep either her head or feet still long enough to catch.

We’ve never gone for fire guards, but I’m pleased to say both of them are very safety conscious around the fire. The youngest has had two trips to A&E for burns.

First one was a burn to the back of her legs when she was a toddler after she sat on a space heater in the toilets at a national trust property. Ironically, on the hottest day of the year.

Second, was when she tripped whilst I had the door to the fire open and she grabbed the door to steady herself.

I know I should get a guard up, but they’re enclosed and the kids never show an interest in them or even play near them.

Ironically the cat loves sitting in the 12 inch gap between the fire and the side of the hearth.

What are people’s opinion of those fire bricks that chemically react with the creosote in a chimney to reduce the risk of chimney fires and help with cleaning?

OT as per standard drill for ARRSE, but the tour guide at Auschwitz told us how the first victims of the gas chambers to go into the crematorium were the babies, as their high fat content got the fires burning at the optimum temperature in the quickest time.

German efficiency, eh?

Anyone tried these (or equivalent)

I quite like the idea of leaving them to burn all night so I am warm when I have to go for my old man's wee in the night.

I quite like the idea of leaving them to burn all night so I am warm when I have to go for my old man's wee in the night.
Probably just smoulders all night and gives off no heat. Unless they have magically turned bark into premium grade seasoned oak logs.

Probably just smoulders all night and gives off no heat. Unless they have magically turned bark into premium grade seasoned oak logs.

Which indeed they did!

Still, easy to get the embers going again and looked like dung (or cold press fruit bars).

"Would burn again".

Blogg

LE

Not those but something which claimed similar results

Turned out to be pressed blocks of softwood dust and chippings mixed with sand.

ugly

LE
Not those but something which claimed similar results

Turned out to be pressed blocks of softwood dust and chippings mixed with sand.
I thought that night briquettes were the result of following through

Try burning those

Do let us know how you get on, but suspect it might not be much different to the blocks I tried.
Dried dung burns quite well, but hey burn it instead of fertilising the land , SOP for the dark continent types.

Dried dung burns quite well, but hey burn it instead of fertilising the land , SOP for the dark continent types.

I have a Kelly Kettle for the allotment, and the chap who made it proudly says on the website you can burn anything really to power it and quoted Camel dung as a case in point.

I think I have drank that flavour of tea, but it was nothing to do with the kettle. Just cheap tea.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
On the understanding that it’s going to be twatted with a sledgehammer on the knotty bits, £16 from toolstation:
Just be careful that the outer shaft doesn't split and leave you with the thin white composite core that can't be fixed. Toolstation are brilliant but a £16 splitter is for someone who would only use it now and then.

Myself, I use a 7lb sledge hammer with an Ash handle and a 12" long steel splitting wedge that I can resharpen on a grinding wheel in two minutes. I've heard good reports of those pointed splitting grenades but have never tried one.

I have a Kelly Kettle for the allotment, and the chap who made it proudly says on the website you can burn anything really to power it and quoted Camel dung as a case in point.

I think I have drank that flavour of tea, but it was nothing to do with the kettle. Just cheap tea.

I got in shit with the almighty Allotment Committee. We are not allowed to have fires from the end of April until Nov 1st which is fair enough but we are allowed to cook. I've got a Kelly Kettle and have made a grill to fit over the base for stuff like soup or cooking a burger.
Apparently this is a big no no. Cooking burgers is fine but boiling water to make a cuppa is not allowed and I should be using a gas stove. The bunch of self important tossers.

Latest Threads