Rise of the Woodpikey.

The other phenomenon that surprises people is the amount of energy that water (in wet wood) will absorb before it turns into steam and blows out of the chimney. It takes more energy to evaporate a kilo of water than it does to melt a kilo of iron; I heard that years ago, was dubious about it, looked it up and found it was correct.
I'd not heard it before but it makes sense. Assuming both start from 20C:
1 kg of water requires 1kJ of energy to increase by 1 degree Celsius so 80kJ to reach 100C. The enthalpy of vapourisation of water is 40.657 kJ/mol so roughly 2259 kJ for the kilogram of water for a total of roughly 2340 kJ.

1 kg of iron requires 0.45 kJ of energy to increase by 1 degree Celsius so approximately 683 kJ to reach 1538C. The enthalpy of melting of iron is 13.8 kJ/mol so roughly 246 kJ for a kilogram of iron for a total of roughly 929 kJ.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
I know it's an anathema to talk of 'paying for firewood' on a woodpikey thread, but when I reviewed my woodstore last week I thought it could do with topping up more than usual as we're more working from home these days so the fire will be on more this winter.......

1cu metre bag of hard wood ordered and delivered... £95..... (I winced as I paid up) .....trouble is, when you buy a dumpy bag of logs, what turns up is not 1 cu metre of wood.... there's a lot of fresh air. Once the delivery van had dumped and run I did a quick stack and there's barely half a cubic metre. (The one metre high point is the brick line above the window sill) Thankfully I didn't cough up the £125 they wanted for a cubic metre of 'kiln dried'... ffs....

View attachment 608437
It may even have been cheaper to buy ten of the netbags of firewood that Tesco are selling at £5.50 a pop. Not overly impressed. I guess I'll have to go out and do some 'wood gathering' in the local woods.....

Chimberlee was swept today, so at least that's all ready to go....
B&M for firewood.
Same stuff as Tesco but only £4 a bag.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
I cheated and got some wood and kindling from them the other day!
It's convenient for me to get it from there. I'll be ordering from the place in Mamhilad Park at the end of the month. They deliver as well.

It's convenient for me to get it from there. I'll be ordering from the place in Mamhilad Park at the end of the month. They deliver as well.

What's over Mamhilad?

I can stop by there when off Llandegfedd Reservoir dogging zone.

AJ firewood. I've had a few loads of wood off them delivered to the house.

Their website looks great! I can see that getting some of my finest British pounds.

I've burnt Ash straight off the felled tree before, once it's got going it will burn green.
Ash will, but it's still taking a lot more heat to evaporate the water out of the green wood, compared to seasoned wood.

So not having used the log burner for a bit gave the flue a quick check looks OK from the inspection hatch upwards (1st 2 pics) but from the hatch down to the fire looks like it could do with a clean any tips how to do it? Other than get steps in and stand above the hatch and gently use the sweep upwards?

Attachments

• 20211017_173900.jpg
    20211017_173900.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20211017_174005.jpg
    20211017_174005.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20211017_174231.jpg
    20211017_174231.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211017_174131.jpg
    20211017_174131.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 14
So not having used the log burner for a bit gave the flue a quick check looks OK from the inspection hatch upwards (1st 2 pics) but from the hatch down to the fire looks like it could do with a clean any tips how to do it? Other than get steps in and stand above the hatch and gently use the sweep upwards?
Small child with sweeping brushes job jobbed

I live in a bungalow, so tend to sweep downwards, it's just easier, and I do find, that the top of the flue is cooler, so the dangerous "cinder toffee " tends to collect at the top, that's where most of my crap comes from.

If you can't get at the top of the flue, I'd say pay a sweep to do it, I probably can't do it in the future, so will have to pay some one.......

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I live in a bungalow, so tend to sweep downwards, it's just easier, and I do find, that the top of the flue is cooler, so the dangerous "cinder toffee " tends to collect at the top, that's where most of my crap comes from.

If you can't get at the top of the flue, I'd say pay a sweep to do it, I probably can't do it in the future, so will have to pay some one.......
We pay someone. We get a nice piece of paper to keep with the one from the boiler service.

No insurance company is going to reject a fire claim from me!!!

Last edited:
That doesn't need sweeping.

Seen this article possibly the end of wood burners if this group gets their way doesn't help folk burning any old crap they can lay their hands on and folk offering old painted fences/sheds as fire wood.
Winchester…
strangely, I have 20 cows living in a field 20’ from my hedge, yet I have to go outside to smell the cowshit. Must be my new-fangled double glazing. Can’t smell smoke from my wood burner either, probably due to burning clean dry wood in a HETAS approved stove…

Winchester…
strangely, I have 20 cows living in a field 20’ from my hedge, yet I have to go outside to smell the cowshit. Must be my new-fangled double glazing. Can’t smell smoke from my wood burner either, probably due to burning clean dry wood in a HETAS approved stove…
Stand by for banning of wood burners in the future.

They can’t tax wood burning so it’ll be manipulated as risk to health cause Celebre in the non room distant future.

I have to say though, I find it particularly odd that somebody can smell a wood burner inside their own home

Latest Threads