Rise of the Woodpikey.

load_fin

War Hero
Looks lethal....
Been used on tractor pto's since, well, since the PTO was invented. Not many deaths and arms removed.
Biggest hazard is getting loose clothing caught and then getting wound up. No e-stop on a tractor PTO; takes more than arm to stop a diesel engine.
This guys setup is actually safer - it has a rudimentary e-stop.

Plenty of really dangerous home made contraptions on you tube.

Here's a starter.

Just search for "homemade wood cutting machines"

If that's for timber off cuts, don't bother.He'll probably be using cheap pine for his jobs.Burns very quickly, offers very little heat.
I wouldn't entirely agree, there.

Most of my wood is large offcuts, and I've found that if you partially shut down the airwash, you get a good smoulder..... OK, you have to replenish more often, but as the wood's almost free, I'm not bothered.

I bought 4 dumpy bags for £40, and just starting on the second, not using it every night, but it helps keep down the cost of gas.

where do I get one of these!
Seriously has anyone seen a hydraulic version that fits tractors
I’ve seen a custom built hydraulic one on a skid steer, being attached to the QA plate made it pretty versatile. More commonly seen on this side of the pond is the model you bolt onto the drive wheel of a garden tractor or riding mower. Not sure if they’re even made anymore, but they tend to go for a reasonable price at auctions.

Last edited:
Been used on tractor pto's since, well, since the PTO was invented. Not many deaths and arms removed.
Biggest hazard is getting loose clothing caught and then getting wound up. No e-stop on a tractor PTO; takes more than arm to stop a diesel engine.
This guys setup is actually safer - it has a rudimentary e-stop.

Plenty of really dangerous home made contraptions on you tube.

Here's a starter.

Just search for "homemade wood cutting machines"
Am I being dense? Some of those machines look fairly decent and no more dangerous than an axe or chainsaw.

The "Palax" one towards the end seems to have had safeguards built into the design.

load_fin

War Hero
Am I being dense? Some of those machines look fairly decent and no more dangerous than an axe or chainsaw.

The "Palax" one towards the end seems to have had safeguards built into the design.
Not all of them are lethal, but the ones where the cutter is continually pounding in & out or up & down while the operator holds the log scare the living daylights out of me.

The ones where the operator has to initrate the cutting stroke are better, but none have guards or interlocks.

I come from a engineering & manufacturing background, and some of those machines would land directors in jail.

Not all of them are lethal, but the ones where the cutter is continually pounding in & out or up & down while the operator holds the log scare the living daylights out of me.

The ones where the operator has to initrate the cutting stroke are better, but none have guards or interlocks.

I come from a engineering & manufacturing background, and some of those machines would land directors in jail.

Farmers, particularly those born to the land and operating alone have scant regard for H&S. I read somewhere that it was the most dangerous job in the world by fatalities and injuries. Last year a very experienced neighbour was hitching up a slurry tank when it went wrong and ten tons of SH1t landed on him. Farming areas seem to have lots of public service ads regarding farming accidents.
I'm pretty keen on H&S but can scare myself sometimes. Not in a negligent way but realising that sometimes I'm so far away from anyone to hear my screams if anything should happen and I know one of my dogs would eat me if she had the chance.

I'm pretty keen on H&S but can scare myself sometimes. Not in a negligent way but realising that sometimes I'm so far away from anyone to hear my screams if anything should happen and I know one of my dogs would eat me if she had the chance.
If I do not die from old age or disease, I’ve resided myself to the idea that it will be working on my own land is where l will meet my demise. Generally l work alone and can go quite some time without seeing anyone, so if I fall off the radar for a few days it will go unnoticed. No matter how aware and safe you are, when working with equipment alone it is always possible for the unforeseen to happen. Count yourself lucky it’s your own dog that will make a meal of you, all l have to look forward to is coyotes and vultures.

If I do not die from old age or disease, I’ve resided myself to the idea that it will be working on my own land is where l will meet my demise. Generally l work alone and can go quite some time without seeing anyone, so if I fall off the radar for a few days it will go unnoticed. No matter how aware and safe you are, when working with equipment alone it is always possible for the unforeseen to happen. Count yourself lucky it’s your own dog that will make a meal of you, all l have to look forward to is coyotes and vultures.

Willie Nelson could make a great song out of that.....

Not just for boats, this could save your life, I'm sure it would work over land as well.....

Willie Nelson could make a great song out of that.....
I think the late great Spike Milligan has already done something similiar.

I left my heart in San Francisco,
I left my knees in old Peru.
I left my little wooden leg
Somewhere in Winnipeg
I left my wig at Darkland Zoo, with you.

I left my teeth on Table Mountain,
High on a hill they smile at me.
When I come home to you, San Francisco,
There won’t be too much left of me.

The chances are it would work on land, same as an aircraft ELT will basically work anywhere, unless of course it’s on-board a Malaysian Airlines flight. Wouldn’t really be that useful when I have a tree fall on me though.
At least they'll know where to find whats left of you. Unlike MH370.

Last edited:
I picked up a bag of smokeless 20% hotter burning than coal briquettes in Asda the other day after running out of scrap wood for my garage gas bottle woodburner.

Improvised a grate and opened up the lower vents with a bit of drilling and figured I was good to go.

I haven't figured out why its 20% hotter than coal but the smokeless bit is easy - it doesn't bloody burn unless you stick a load of wood on top of it and then it can just about be coaxed into ignition when it burns like a chipboard block that you get off pallets, which I used to find useful for keeping the fire in overnight but not great for actual heating.
The most shameful part in order to try to heat the garage and no longer having the Disco to collect stacks of free pallets I had to buy logs.

I picked up a bag of smokeless 20% hotter burning than coal briquettes in Asda the other day after running out of scrap wood for my garage gas bottle woodburner.

Improvised a grate and opened up the lower vents with a bit of drilling and figured I was good to go.

I haven't figured out why its 20% hotter than coal but the smokeless bit is easy - it doesn't bloody burn unless you stick a load of wood on top of it and then it can just about be coaxed into ignition when it burns like a chipboard block that you get off pallets, which I used to find useful for keeping the fire in overnight but not great for actual heating.
The most shameful part in order to try to heat the garage and no longer having the Disco to collect stacks of free pallets I had to buy logs.
What are you burning it on? I.e what type of fire?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
All a bit daft given that our new woodburner produces such a tiny amount of particulates that it beats the new regulations planned for 2022 by a large margin.

Better to encourage people to replace old ones with new, imho. Maybe with a scrappage scheme?

philc

LE
Shurley the ammount of coal burnt domestically must be nigh on negligible these days. I occasionally use it in the the study and workshop to get the heat up quickly. Plus who even burns unseasoned wood?
We have a man delivering coal in town if not two, I know of one person that uses it at least. Plus I think coal is tied in to former miners pension agreements, its not gone yet.

As for unseasoned wood, the dim and the poor.

All a bit daft given that our new woodburner produces such a tiny amount of particulates that it beats the new regulations planned for 2022 by a large margin.

Better to encourage people to replace old ones with new, imho. Maybe with a scrappage scheme?
Scrappage scheme? how much do you reckon they'd give me for mine?
WP_20150822_008.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DarkBrig Military History and Militaria 1
TotalBanker Classified Ads 29
jumpinjarhead US 59

Latest Threads