Rise of the Woodpikey.

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt
Returned from a little half term adventure today and the Aga was off.

It takes a good 10 hours to hit cooking temperature from cold so it was time to improvise, adapt and overcome.

Sometimes I even surprise myself with my genius.

View attachment 425435
Inspirational. 12/10 for ingenuity. I have got a pivot mount for a cooking deck in my Godin wood burner, but am bu*****d if I can find the deck to fit it!

edwina's cum face ?
Not actually.

As we’ve seen in the news, John Major has shown how very pro EU he is.

the reason why John Major introduced BAT on domestic energy is that charging VAT on domestic energy was decided not by John Major, but the EU.

So Major in is drive for a united Europe signed the U.K. upto the above.

Blair and the others have driven us further down the alignment route whereby Brussels not only gets to decide what we pay VAT on, but what that VAT rate will be.

When liberating wood from South African government property, waiting until after last light prevents the curator asking you to return his logs to where you found them

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt
Yesterday I reminded myself of what 3 years of sharpening the hell out of a chain does to the ripping edge of the teeth. The old one was still functional but had ceased to really chew through logs. Now I just need another dry day to try out the new one which, at only Eu 14.25, I should probably have fitted a year ago.
61B17927-3309-4F4F-8C62-4AA2D16B2861.jpeg

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not actually.

As we’ve seen in the news, John Major has shown how very pro EU he is.

the reason why John Major introduced BAT on domestic energy is that charging VAT on domestic energy was decided not by John Major, but the EU.

So Major in is drive for a united Europe signed the U.K. upto the above.

Blair and the others have driven us further down the alignment route whereby Brussels not only gets to decide what we pay VAT on, but what that VAT rate will be.
They feel we need more battalions of these!
Muslims at prayer.jpg

Yesterday I reminded myself of what 3 years of sharpening the hell out of a chain does to the ripping edge of the teeth. The old one was still functional but had ceased to really chew through logs. Now I just need a another dry day to try out the new one which, at only Eu 14.25, I should probably have fitted a year ago.
View attachment 433764
Have you seen these? Fits on a dremel.
31BF9BC5-7910-4DF9-82DD-AC3A8D485AB1.jpeg

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt
Have you seen these? Fits on a dremel.
View attachment 433776
Looks good. I use an electric sharpener that I bought from Lidl. It is effective, but there is only so much metal on teeth that you can grind away until there is nothing left of the cutting edge. Still, I don’t think that 3 years use from a chain is to bad when it has been my weapon of choice for logging and clearing our woodland.

Looks good. I use an electric sharpener that I bought from Lidl. It is effective, but there is only so much metal on teeth that you can grind away until there is nothing left of the cutting edge. Still, I don’t think that 3 years use from a chain is to bad when it has been my weapon of choice for logging and clearing our woodland.
All my saws have 2 chains and I flip the bar every time I swop for sharpening. I’ve been using a stihl file/guide tool which does a great job of keeping the tooth profile correct, but takes forever on a 24” bar... the dremel tool does a decent job without having to remove the chain.

All my saws have 2 chains and I flip the bar every time I swop for sharpening. I’ve been using a stihl file/guide tool which does a great job of keeping the tooth profile correct, but takes forever on a 24” bar... the dremel tool does a decent job without having to remove the chain.
Anyone one in the east mids wanna teach this muppet how to use a chainsaw?

7F2A39A5-2AE5-4B3D-871E-076E9E6682E3.jpeg

Download this for free from z- library. No substitute for actual training, but good advice. Get yourself some decent PPE especially leg, foot and head protection.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The local community raise funds for a kids Christmas party and to give a hamper to the old folks of the parish.
A major fund raiser is the sale of logs.

A nice quiet day, 3 tractor mounted log splitters, a band saw and a couple of chain saws all going at once!
20191103_121843.jpg

Yesterday I reminded myself of what 3 years of sharpening the hell out of a chain does to the ripping edge of the teeth. The old one was still functional but had ceased to really chew through logs. Now I just need another dry day to try out the new one which, at only Eu 14.25, I should probably have fitted a year ago.
View attachment 433764
You're letting the file rise as you sharpen the chain. Push down a little more. ;-)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
We have now joined the ranks of woodpikeys. Two pallets appropriated from the chaps who brought our woodburner, and himself came home with an armful of sticks this morning. The dog wasn't allowed one of them!!

Anyone one in the east mids wanna teach this muppet how to use a chainsaw?
I’m generally not an advocate for utube diy vids as they can tend to get people killed, but there are some very decent factory chainsaw operator ones put out by Husqvarna and Stihl. If you’re getting into felling, there is a series put out by the BC provincial government which is part of the licensing course.https://youtu.be/i2Aktms_4Pg
As Nimbus said previously, proper training can’t be substituted, vids can only give a part of the overall picture.

I’m generally not an advocate for utube diy vids as they can tend to get people killed, but there are some very decent factory chainsaw operator ones put out by Husqvarna and Stihl. If you’re getting into felling, there is a series put out by the BC provincial government which is part of the licensing course.https://youtu.be/i2Aktms_4Pg
As Nimbus said previously, proper training can’t be substituted, vids can only give a part of the overall picture.
...and you’ll need 2 more people with you.
*shuffles quietly to the cloakroom, glances down the drive*

We have now joined the ranks of woodpikeys. Two pallets appropriated from the chaps who brought our woodburner, and himself came home with an armful of sticks this morning. The dog wasn't allowed one of them!!

Welcome to the gang.

Next problem is wood........ do you buy it ready processed or go scrounging ?

If you down the scrounging route, you'll need power tools to cut it to size.

My favourites are a cheap radial arm saw eg. Lidl, and an alligator saw, with extra long blades, from Screwfix....... both pretty safe, because they don't kick back, like a chainsaw.

Get a few dumpy bags, if you see scaffolding going up, have a word with the builder, if you're lucky, he'll throw clean wood in your dumpy bag, for you to collect.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Welcome to the gang.

Next problem is wood........ do you buy it ready processed or go scrounging ?

If you down the scrounging route, you'll need power tools to cut it to size.

My favourites are a cheap radial arm saw eg. Lidl, and an alligator saw, with extra long blades, from Screwfix....... both pretty safe, because they don't kick back, like a chainsaw.

Get a few dumpy bags, if you see scaffolding going up, have a word with the builder, if you're lucky, he'll throw clean wood in your dumpy bag, for you to collect.
I had a woodburner before moving to the flat. I even have my own little chopper (ooer missis). I have managed to avoid chainsaws as yet. Need to cultivate my new neighbour, who's a builder!

Latest Threads