• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Rise of the Woodpikey.

Be very careful with anything painted or varnished..... don't use.

As the flue gases go up the chimney, they cool and deposit the crap around the flue.

I'm shocked at the deposits left with clean wood, as I sweep mine downwards off the bungalow roof, I can see the deposit, like cinder toffee down the flue, which is choking the flue below a safe diameter, if left long enough.

It's also more likely to cause a chimney fire, which can be disastrous.

Sweep every year, and keep paperwork....... if you burn the house down, the insurance probably won't cover you, otherwise.

Sweep every year, and keep paperwork....... if you burn the house down, the insurance probably won't cover you, otherwise.
If you burn the house down I suspect you'll have difficulty finding the paperwork amongst the ashes... you can't keep EVERYTHING in a fireproof box.....

Be very careful with anything painted or varnished..... don't use.

As the flue gases go up the chimney, they cool and deposit the crap around the flue.

I'm shocked at the deposits left with clean wood, as I sweep mine downwards off the bungalow roof, I can see the deposit, like cinder toffee down the flue, which is choking the flue below a safe diameter, if left long enough.

It's also more likely to cause a chimney fire, which can be disastrous.

Every six months is a better idea
Just saying, like...
:rolleyes:

ugly

LE
If you burn the house down I suspect you'll have difficulty finding the paperwork amongst the ashes... you can't keep EVERYTHING in a fireproof box.....
My local sweep keeps detailed records, he has to!

Why not make the bungalow out of the same material as a fireproof box?

Not sure if I qualify as a woodpikey, but I just had to share the product of a few hours outdoors this afternoon. The front stack is about six weeks worth of fuel for the log-burner ..... in two years time.

Attachments

With the continuing cold weather we have upped security on the log store....
wood pile sentry.jpg

Endless brambles, weeds, hedge trimmings from about 180 metres of mature privet and just stuff that gathers. I do reuse or compost as much as I can but some stuff just needs to be burnt. It's not like there is a bin I can put this stuff in. I use a Kelly Kettle for making brews and the occasional scabby pot noodle.

Laurel - my new best burn. After feeding acacia into my logburner for most of the winter and being reasonably happy with it, I brought in a stack of 18 month laurel this evening and was astonished with the results. It burned longer and hotter than anything that I have used so far. Great news, as I’ve got about five acres of the bloody stuff infesting my woodland.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Laurel - my new best burn. After feeding acacia into my logburner for most of the winter and being reasonably happy with it, I brought in a stack of 18 month laurel this evening and was astonished with the results. It burned longer and hotter than anything that I have used so far. Great news, as I’ve got about five acres of the bloody stuff infesting my woodland.
That's the arsenic in it - which is why it smells of almonds.....

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Dug up weeds etc to stop them growing again . Then the ash can be used to fertilise the soil .
Problem I’ve always seen with allotment fires is they burn green stuff so they’re always excessively smokey

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can’t be arsed to sift through the whole thread.

Is anyone running a multifuel stove with back boiler feeding your radiators?

My mother has finally decided to up sticks and move to the countryside, we’ve found her a lovely cottage in the middle of nowhere and the heating is as described above, with an immersion heater for the hot water. I’m not sure if the hot water can be topped up with the stove.

There is plenty of storage for logs and coal, I’m just worried about the practicality of this sort of set up.

Is she gonna be getting up twice a night to refill the stove with logs / fuel? It gets cold up here.

Stove looks reasonably modern. Didn’t catch the make and model but looks about 12kw judging by the size.