RIRA and RAAD to disband

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
This cannot be true. Blessed Blair brought peace to Ireland and that's an end to it.

Hand of History on My Shoulder Tony, pray for us.

I doubt it will go back to that, NI is a far better place and people simply don't want to go back 20 or 30 years. PIRA thrived because it had community support.

This new lot will be a bunch of beer swilling bigots regaling their stories of defeating the British in some far away bar that pays homage to bad times.

NIRA... I like it. They are certainly working their way through the alphabet. Also the N could stand for Narcotics, which is what RAAD mainly deal in. The blokes that are killed, maimed and exorcised are usually those who either fall out with, under cut or mess up in paying the RAAD.

I doubt it will go back to that, NI is a far better place and people simply don't want to go back 20 or 30 years. PIRA thrived because it had community support.

This new lot will be a bunch of beer swilling bigots regaling their stories of defeating the British in some far away bar that pays homage to bad times.
There was a play yesterday on R4 which seemed to have the same view, that a lot of end of conflict warriors, were living the dream.

The one problem being is that within that group will be a number of players who have the knowledge and means to launch attacks.

OK, I'll stump them to death.

Many years ago during the euphoria of the signing of the good Friday agreement most people living in northern Ireland would have agreed with you, unfortunately these days there is an air of resignation that a return to the dark days is almost inevitable

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

Are these organisations proscribed? if so why are they not being jumped on from great heights?

Not so sure that the republican "youth " of today would shy away from a return to giving the brits some grief.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
the main reason they exist now though it as a mafia style of gang unfortunately sticking them in full sutton etc.. for so long they made very lucrative contacts

they might blow shit up every now and again for the look of it and shoot the odd grunt but they like the trappings of respectable criminality too much to give it up for long.

PIRA is not much better

But it's not good news:

Republican dissidents join forces to form a new IRA | UK news | guardian.co.uk

but I suspect that SDSR will bite the govt in the arse if we have to go back to 1970/80s levels of deployments.
Sleep easy drama queen. American reaction to terrorism post 911 was a turning point and the chuckies futile actions were laid bare. Even the thickest Boston resident gave up singing rebel songs and turned against them.

Norn Iron has well and truely moved on and the days of 'sojers' on the street will never return

What a bunch of savages. Some people really will never learn.

Sleep easy drama queen. American reaction to terrorism post 911 was a turning point and the chuckies futile actions were laid bare. Even the thickest Boston resident gave up singing rebel songs and turned against them.

Norn Iron has well and truely moved on and the days of 'sojers' on the street will never return
Bit over optimistic there I think The IRA: America's Favorite Militant Group?
"Ireland unfree shall never be at peace." -Pearse

I first noticed it at a Flogging Molly concert in Philadelphia: a young man wearing a tee shirt identifying himself as a sniper. I immediately understood the pro-IRA connection, and my reaction was a cross between amusement, arrogance, and pride.

I was amused by the fact that a 'sniper'might identify himself. From various reading on the topic of the Irish Republican Army in Ireland, I learned that a punishable mistake is informing, or snitching, on a member of the IRA. How odd it is, then, that one would self-identify as a sniper - and most amusing that in America, it's even possible to do that without serious (or fatal) repercussions.

There was arrogance, as well. I thought I knew better than to wear my Irish-nationalist sentiment on my sleeve, even in contemporary times in the United States. How many times, though, had I said something in jest or to be accepted among a crowd sharing my sentiment?

Lastly, I held pride as well; here was another Irish-American who, on some level, believed that Ireland was still unfree. Part of me agrees.
9-11 didn't change much, Bush did, changed the law and pushed funding the IRA underground. I've still find Irish Americans completely bewildered about why SF are in Stormont, if they even have that level of sophisticated understanding.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Well whatever they call themselves I hope its something snappy and easy to spell. Spraypainting oglaigh na heireann al over the place is a complete bastard.
Still mobilising eight and ten year olds for streetfighting, probably safer than leaving them to the priests.
On the other hand maybe the Parades Commission could do the work. Insist that there is only going to be one republican commemoration in a single place to show support for the volunteers who have fallen in action, and watch them kill each other.

In the words of Elwood J Blues:

Those goons are orphan remnants of the post-Perestroika Soviet Secret Police apparatus which, until 1991, carried out its own twisted interpriation of the well intentioned original Marxist-Lennin doctrine using the State Security, which was massivly corrrupted by Beria at the end of the '30s. Of course once a mass populas is coerced into such behaviour as a permanant condition of their mind, a radical dictortial, dialatic shift such as Glasnost, produces guys like these: stunned headless automata whose only purpose in their lives is the continuation of brutish measures to which their genetic code has been programmed since the fall of the Romanovs.
Referring to Russian Mafia but much the same situation.

the main reason they exist now though it as a mafia style of gang unfortunately sticking them in full sutton etc.. for so long they made very lucrative contacts

they might blow shit up every now and again for the look of it and shoot the odd grunt but they like the trappings of respectable criminality too much to give it up for long.

PIRA is not much better
To me (having lived in the Republic for several years in the late 1990s and still visiting Ireland at least once a month due to my Missus living there), it looks as if the gangs would like a return of the no-go areas for police and military, so that they can do their shady deals without being disturbed by the law. Just like the narco gangs, which rule the slums in Brazil. And like the mafia groups in southern Italy they wouldn´t mind high unemployment and poverty in their community, because this would give them ready recruits to do their dirty work.

NIRA... I like it. They are certainly working their way through the alphabet. Also the N could stand for Narcotics, which is what RAAD mainly deal in. The blokes that are killed, maimed and exorcised are usually those who either fall out with, under cut or mess up in paying the RAAD.
I thought that the vast majority had moved to Birmingham and Manchester to facilitate their peacetime business.