RIR soldier awarded Military Cross

#1
A soldier originally from Portadown has been awarded the Military Cross.
Captain Doug Beattie, 41, of the Royal Irish Regiment, was a key figure in driving the Taliban out of a small town in Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

Captain Beattie is still serving in Aghanistan and is due to leave in January.

He joined the Army in 1982, rising through the ranks to regimental sergeant major before receiving his commission.
 
#2
Might sound like I'm being a pedantic bast. But is there any chance you could edit the title of the post?

People don't get "given" MCs

Sorry, probably sounds really petty but it rankles.
 
#3
I bet Dougie isn't worried about it. That's him on free drinks in Thomas Street Legion should he ever feel the need to mix there.
 
#4
I know, I know... Just makes it sound like he got handed it as a Christmas pressie or something.

I'll get back in my box now.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#6
Mad_Moriarty said:
A soldier originally from Portadown has been awarded the Military Cross.
Captain Doug Beattie, 41, of the Royal Irish Regiment, was a key figure in driving the Taliban out of a small town in Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

Captain Beattie is still serving in Aghanistan and is due to leave in January.

He joined the Army in 1982, rising through the ranks to regimental sergeant major before receiving his commission.
Col Tim Collin's RSM. Doug Beattie also received a Quyeen's Commendation for Bravery in Iraq. Seems to be quite a guy.
 
#7
Auld-Yin said:
Mad_Moriarty said:
A soldier originally from Portadown has been awarded the Military Cross.
Captain Doug Beattie, 41, of the Royal Irish Regiment, was a key figure in driving the Taliban out of a small town in Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

Captain Beattie is still serving in Aghanistan and is due to leave in January.

He joined the Army in 1982, rising through the ranks to regimental sergeant major before receiving his commission.
Col Tim Collin's RSM. Doug Beattie also received a Quyeen's Commendation for Bravery in Iraq. Seems to be quite a guy.
Like all the good line regiments 1RIR has its fair share of top blokes. I was up there last Saturday socialising and I have never felt so welcome except when with my own mates.
 
#8
Sad isn't it that the army is now so small that these fantastically brave guys are being asked time and again to demonstrate exceptional courage? This is the third chap I have read about in the past couple of weeks receiving their second gallantry award. Well done to them all.
 
#10
western said:
Sad isn't it that the army is now so small that these fantastically brave guys are being asked time and again to demonstrate exceptional courage? This is the third chap I have read about in the past couple of weeks receiving their second gallantry award. Well done to them all.
Agreed,and why is'nt the Army doing more to retain men with his level of experience? Seems to me like so many top chaps are that peed off with service life that they'd rather go to the private sector.
Anyway,
Top award for a top bloke.
Faugh a ballagh
 

Latest Threads