Ripstop - Out of Fashion?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by the_Bat, Oct 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the QMs', this morning, to exchange my field jacket in a bid to smarten my appearance for the forthcoming remembrance service. The transaction was both fast and trouble free - which was disappointing.

At lunchtime I inspected my new, Irish made, Jacket Field Woodland Disruptively Patterned and found that it to be ripstop free.

Should I allow my cynicism to follow its natural course and presume that we are the victims of yet more penny pinching? Or

Should I now be flattered that, for the first time since 1979, I'm now at the forefront of military fashion?

I'll be cynical - it's easier.
  2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

These things have started to appear on issue to some ACF staff as well, well, the five or so who get kit issued. I would imagine the idea is that they won't wear out at the collar and cuffs as quickly.
  3. Irish made? FFS are there not entire Chinese villages dependent upon our defence clothing contracts, think of the children!
  4. Dont worry the Irish have sub contracted to the Chinese according to an article in the Telegraph, a while back.

Wasn't it thinking of the children that got you in trouble, last time?
  5. That explains why the Irish Army are wearing Soldier 95, albeit in their own 'flavour'

You know full well The_Bat that no witnesses ever spoke up against me
  6. Hard to do when your mouth's full, old boy.
  7. And from the bottom of a shallow grave
  8. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Boys, Boys! People are listening 8O
  9. Ripstop never goes out of fashion.

Like corduroy, it's the textile that just keeps on giving... :D

And noise down, you lot - you don't want Miss Scaryspice on your cases - just ask Abacus and Antbloke. ;)
  10. She's even more intimidating in the flesh D_D, believe me we know.
  11. Sorry Scary,

we won't do it again. :roll:

Anyway, no pun intended - but back to the thread.
  12. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Sadly D_D - they do know....although of course it's not all true - I'm quite nice really.

Anyway Bat, I've always thought you were a true fashion trend-setter :D
  13. Ah. A timeless material which will see out a whole new generation of Grandads (and Cavalry Officers :lol:)

And anyway, why would scary get on their case - its not like they were slagging off.....

"My coat?" "Why thank you... hang on, this isn't mine. Mine is the Ripstop one ;)"

14. So why's ripstop being phased out, if it was so good?

It's not a big issue to me, despite the column inches/cms (showing my age). However it's more likely to be about cost cutting as opposed to giving us the best kit for the job.

On the plus side there's now even less chance of 2 soldiers being dressed the same.

Hey, ho!
  15. 307

307 War Hero

Aren't the new smocks that are ripstop free windproof, like the new type thatw ere issued in desert DPM, but they've just come out in temperate pattern?