Ripping Blu-Ray discs to hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by dingerr, Jan 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having received a number of BDs for Christmas I would like to watch them during my next stretch at Headley, but don't want the pain of lugging them all around.

Is it possible to rip Blu-Ray to a portable hard drive and if so what is the best way? Do I require specific software to do so?
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

3. Hmmm seems ripping BDs is a pain at the moment. Any top tips or sites/software for DVDs.

I'll only RIP those I've actually bought, so will be encoded etc.
  4. Do you use a Windows machine or a Mac? As far as Windows goes, Slysoft's AnyDVD HD is far and away the best bar none for *any* platform - it costs a bit BUT is constantly updated to stay one step ahead of the film studios' encryption techniques and can also rip DVD's as well :) I use it to rip DVD's and it has worked flawlessly every time. Just remember that the ripped "final product" will be huge - probably 15-20GB depending on the BD disc type.

Mac users can use Mac BluRayRipper Pro but will have to use VLC Media Player to watch it...Mac OS X still doesn't support the playback of BD discs :-(

Hope this helps!
  5. Thanks. I'm on windows, but also use Ipad, so the cloneDVD will be useful, also the gamerpro looks brilliant and will save me the need to carry games discs around.

I'll almost certainly buy it after I've read through it a little more.

I've noted the 20GBs for a blu-ray film, fortunately I've found a 1TB portable hard drive at a decent price.