Ripping African Yarns.

Beri beri. Another reason is initiation for the young boys who have cattle piss on them which turns their hair orange. See it in the Sudan quite a bit.

The Blessed Sir Spike mentioned it in one of his books. I think they called them McDonalds.
The gingers abounded, so the village was christened McDonald IIRC. Another village was already named Cretinville.

Namibia rejects German Compensation.

This looks like the next big way of extracting cash from the Muzungu:

"The row comes at a time of broader reassessment of Africa’s colonial history and the suffering inflicted by European powers on populations across the continent. Partly inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, there have been steps to remove monuments to colonialists that remain in many cities and to change names of streets.

Other countries in Africa are watching the negotiations between Namibia and Germany closely as they consider launching their own efforts to gain compensation for the violence and theft of decades of European rule".

Might be worth clawing back some of the money stolen by their new leaders after independence. After all, that was what the whole independence hair pulling thing was about, wasn't it, to be in charge of their own resources?

Zaire ( for which read

"The row comes at a time of broader reassessment of Africa’s colonial history and the suffering inflicted by European powers on populations across the continent. Partly inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, there have been steps to remove monuments to colonialists that remain in many cities and to change names of streets.

Other countries in Africa are watching the negotiations between Namibia and Germany closely as they consider launching their own efforts to gain compensation for the violence and theft of decades of European rule".
Maybe the money will be used to benefit the people?

Zaire, for which read Mobutu, was given many squillions of dollars by the UN to be spent at Mobutu’s discretion, for the good of the destitute people .

It turned out that what the people really, really needed was half a dozen second hand Mirage jets.

All was well while the French handover pilots flew them and trained their Zairois replacements, all of whom were assorted sons of government ministers and fancied themselves as fighter jocks.

All just so much mangled metal within 6 months.

Oh well. It’s what the people wanted....

Might be worth clawing back some of the money stolen by their new leaders after independence. After all, that was what the whole independence hair pulling thing was about, wasn't it, to be in charge of their own resources?
What?

Are you trying to say that a nice big smiley cuddly chap like Dada Idi, didn't help his people out?

OK, I know he had a dodgy nick name, The Butcher of Uganda, and he is considered one of the cruellest despots in world history, but even so, he was big and smiley!

Yeh OK, his net worth was $100,000,000, but maybe his dad left it to him, or he found it?

Look, big and smiley, he wouldn't hurt a fly!

1597269194232.png

ETA Sorry my mistake, I was thinking of Forest Whitaker!

1597269502892.png

Zaire ( for which read

Maybe the money will be used to benefit the people?

Zaire, for which read Mobutu, was given many squillions of dollars by the UN to be spent at Mobutu’s discretion, for the good of the destitute people .

It turned out that what the people really, really needed was half a dozen second hand Mirage jets.

All was well while the French handover pilots flew them and trained their Zairois replacements, all of whom were assorted sons of government ministers and fancied themselves as fighter jocks.

All just so much mangled metal within 6 months.

Oh well. It’s what the people wanted....
Yup, same with the Aermacchis he bought. Went to Kolwezi for a training camp and lost one on the way. Lost one or two more during training and the rest when a grassfire was started by one while parked on dry grass. The fire did for the remaining aircraft.

Copilot while doing flood relief told me of three MiG 15s of the Moz air force doing a sortie up north around Nacala. Returned to Beira via a town on the coast where the leader wanted to buzz his girlfriend to impress her for nookie later.

Mig 15 not really a long range aircraft and they were pretty low on fuel by the time they got to Beira, with a thunderstorm over the field. They shot the approach and one flamed out on final and speared in, another hit the runway sans gear and killed the pilot and the third appeared out of the cloud inverted and pigged in near the airport.

Last edited:
What?

Are you trying to say that a nice big smiley cuddly chap like Dada Idi, didn't help his people out?

OK, I know he had a dodgy nick name, The Butcher of Uganda, and he is considered one of the cruellest despots in world history, but even so, he was big and smiley!

Yeh OK, his net worth was $100,000,000, but maybe his dad left it to him, or he found it?

Look, big and smiley, he wouldn't hurt a fly!

View attachment 496646

ETA Sorry my mistake, I was thinking of Forest Whitaker!

View attachment 496648
I’ve got a few bits of issued inware to show off on Remembrance Sunday But you have to hand it to Idi. He’s got a chest load there. I’m not a medal spotter so I can only make out the Victoria Cross( doubtless richly deserved) but I don’t recognise the rest. Anyone got a full list?

I’ve got a few bits of issued inware to show off on Remembrance Sunday But you have to hand it to Idi. He’s got a chest load there. I’m not a medal spotter so I can only make out the Victoria Cross( doubtless richly deserved) but I don’t recognise the rest. Anyone got a full list?
I think he just made them up as he went along? Probably only awarded once, to himself!

Yup, same with the Aermacchis he bought. Went to Kolwezi for a training camp and lost one on the way. Lost one or two more during training and the rest when a grassfire was started by one while parked on dry grass. The fire did for the remaining aircraft.

Copilot while doing flood relief told me of three MiG 15s of the Moz air force doing a sortie up north around Nacala. Returned to Beira via a town on the coast where the leader wanted to buzz his girlfriend to impress her for nookie later.

Mig 15 not really a long range aircraft and they were pretty low on fuel by the time they got to Beira, with a thunderstorm over the field. They shot the approach and one flamed out on final and speared in, another hit the runway sans gear and killed the pilot and the third appeared out of the cloud inverted and pigged in near the airport.
One of our fitters in Belarus had been part of a six man team on contract to sort the stores and back up logistics chain in Mozambique.
The atrittion rate of a/c was Aparrently only matched by the stores thieving which prior to their arriving had been done on an industrial scale including of big stuff that could only possibly of use to another mig owner.
he reckoned for what they used them for the soviets would have been better scouring the museums for old sturmovics, And gifting them instead .which would have been much more use tactically.

ericferret

War Hero
One of our fitters in Belarus had been part of a six man team on contract to sort the stores and back up logistics chain in Mozambique.
The atrittion rate of a/c was Aparrently only matched by the stores thieving which prior to their arriving had been done on an industrial scale including of big stuff that could only possibly of use to another mig owner.
he reckoned for what they used them for the soviets would have been better scouring the museums for old sturmovics, And gifting them instead .which would have been much more use tactically.
Youngest daughter worked in South Africa as a zoologist. Got mugged in Pretoria by a bloke trying to nick her laptop which had her PhD work in it. She put up a fight long enough for the cops to turn up who proceed to beat the crap out of the mugger. At which point she verbally sets about the cops till they let him go.

An early example of BLM!! Raised a snowflake!!!

She was out collecting samples in the Kruger park and jumps out of her truck.
Slams the door and up jumps a lion she hadn't seen.

How close was it says I?
You don't want to know says she. Went back to camp for new knickers.

muscat_diver

Old-Salt
On loan as a military surveyor RE to Op Raleigh, building schools around Lake Baringo. First we had to make our own camp and then build a school / scientific study building. Living on compo because the Camp Boss diverted all the money into building materials. Camp of around 50 people, 'Venturers' (18-24 all nationalities), and staff of various disciplines for catching and observing bugs etc.
The only vehicle was a knackered Bedford RL and I was the only bod who could drive it. It was a knacker, no brakes, needed bump starting and air bleeding out of fuel lines every time it was started. So off I went to Nakuru 120 clicks south to collect building materials. This was a perk as it was the chance to have an overnight stay and a few beers. Naturally it was an outing for a couple of Venturers as I needed a hand. I had already done a couple of trips before the lads realised it was always them left at the camp to crack on whilst some of the more attractive ladies got the Nakuru run. Of course the project was short on funds so the hotel room had to be shared, and as a Sapper full screw on LOA there was plenty of cash for booze..
Anyway, loaded the truck with about 6 tons of timber, cement, sand, steel etc and we set off back to Baringo, I turned of the highway at Marigat, we had a couple of Tuskers at the roadside bar and then started the last 35 clicks across country to the camp. As mentioned before the only way to stop the Bedford was to anticipate the need to slow down and coast, crashing down through the gears as it slowed.
So, leaving Marigat we drove a couple of clicks to the crest of a steep hill that led to a lugga (dry river bed) which normally had a foot or so of water in it and was 10m across. From the top of the hill i could see the water was wider than usual but as a little lad was playing in it and the water only came up to his knees I, as a knowledgeable Sapper knew that is was probably no more than 15" deep and no match for the mighty Bedford.
So Tusker in hand it was foot down and I went for the splash to impress the girls.
As the mighty Bedford thundered down the hill with girl no. 1 hanging out the cupola, the lad took fright, jumped off the rock he was standing on and swam for the shore. With no chancing of stopping the Bedford and gravity pushing 6 ton of building material downhill, I had no choice but pedal to the metal and try to force through.
We hit the water with an almighty splash and I kept the revs as high as I could for as long as I could. About half way across water was coming in over the tops of the doors and we stopped. Grabbing the beers and my trusty Samsonite briefcase it was abandon ship and swim back across the river towards Marigat. We sat on the bank to dry off and finished of the beers then walked back to Marigat and back to the bar - girls terrified by the baboons after I told them the female baboons see their tits as a threat and might attack (keep close girls). Back in Marigat, a heavy night on the piss and dossed down in a small shack that served as a road house.
Next morning we trudged back to the river with heavy hearts and pounding heads. I was fully expecting the Bedford to have washed downstream. But she was there in the middle of the river. Unfortunately 6 ton of building material was missing through either being washed away or being nicked.
Using Sapper initiative I walked to Kenya Forestry Commission yard which was a few clicks away and managed to blag the loan of a tractor and some chains. After some field engineering we managed to get the truck back onto dry land and then had a look at her. Batteries flat as shorted out so we resorted to towing it round and round with the tractor until eventually she fired up. Accompanied by the girls and another case of Tusker we drove slowly back to camp with me expecting to be sacked on the spot and sent back to my unit in disgrace.
We arrived back at the camp to a great reception from the worried crew after which I headed off to the bosses tent to report in and face the music. His tent was empty. It was only then I found out that he himself had been sacked overnight after he lost an outboard from the Zodiac on Lake Baringo - sacked not because he hadn't secured it but because he accused locals of nicking it...
So, I was home and dry and lived to fight another day, much Gin was produced around the camp fire and many yarns of man eating baboons, Nakuru night spots and Tusker escapades ensued. The reputation of the Sappers was upheld once again...
P.S. I kept in touch with many of the Venturers and married one of them in later life, now we have 3 children.

Youngest daughter worked in South Africa as a zoologist. Got mugged in Pretoria by a bloke trying to nick her laptop which had her PhD work in it. She put up a fight long enough for the cops to turn up who proceed to beat the crap out of the mugger. At which point she verbally sets about the cops till they let him go.

An early example of BLM!! Raised a snowflake!!!

She was out collecting samples in the Kruger park and jumps out of her truck.
Slams the door and up jumps a lion she hadn't seen.

How close was it says I?
You don't want to know says she. Went back to camp for new knickers.
This daughter, any pics?

Seriously though, if she's still around and feels like a steak and a decent pint, followed by a drag round a brewery, drop me a line.

Had an interesting chat years ago with a Colonel who had been the military attache in one of the larger African states (might have been Nigeria) in the 70s.

He mentioned one of their air force pilots making a perfect landing at a major airport. Unfortunately he landed on the river which ran more of less parallel with the runway several hundred yards away.

Also their army sent a bunch of Scorpion/Scimitar turrets back to the UK for refurbishment and upgrading. When they came back it was found that the hulls had been parked up in the open for six months or more with no covering over the exposed turret rings - hulls were full of water, dirt etc and completely fecked...

...sacked not because he hadn't secured it but because he accused locals of nicking it...
Yup, when dealing with the terminally right on, truth needs to be dealt out in tiny doses to avoid reality intruding on their rose coloured universe.

I read about a British musician who died of anthrax contracted from a drum (I think a bodhran) made with a goatskin imported from Africa that had come from a goat which had anthrax. The spores were knocked loose into the air when beating on the drum, to then be inhaled by the musician, leading to inhalation anthrax, which is particularly deadly.
Drum maker as well as musician, I think there was an earlier case of a drum maker in the Scottish borders as well. Edited to add there was, it's mentioned in the linked article, Doh!

Some extracts from an article from Deutsche Welle.
OPINION
Opinion: A mere €10 million for Germany’s colonial-era genocide in Namibia?
The number was suddenly right there in the room for everyone to see: €10 million ($11.8 million) — €10 million for genocide.

The figure is so shameful and ridiculously low that it in no way resembles a serious offer of reparations. €10 million can in no way be the result of five years of interrupted negotiations following the mass murder of the Herero and Nama people exactly 116 years ago after the battle of Waterberg, which was to become the first genocide of the 20th century.

That Namibia is the largest recipient of development aid in Africa and has received more than €1 billion in aid since independence in 1990, doesn't enter into this equation.

Opinion: A mere €10 million for Germany’s colonial-era genocide in Namibia? | DW | 13.08.2020

There was a documentary Africa from the Air on the Smithsonian channel, which gave an insight in to some of what went on. Shocking stuff that would be repeated in Europe on an industrial scale.

Last edited:

Latest Threads