Ripon Rip Off

I was at Ripon at the weekend, where a bar had been set up by one of the civi contractors. Now while I wouldn't expect anything to fancy on a transit camp I certainly did not expect to pay £1.50 for a can of lager. Worse still one of the guys asked for a coke and was charged £1.50 for that too.

My point is how much would you expect to pay somewhere like this or in your TAC. Or is this just someone ripping off recruits and staff who are a captive audience.

BW

Your course must have an QM, get him to set one up or do your own, then you can charge what you want and make some money for course presentations and the like.

The staff used to do that, but was stopped by the people who run the camp. ( Somebody now wants to make a profit off the 200 recruits + who attend twice a month).

Visit the Wonkey Donkey at 51, as a guest you pay £5 & drink as much as you can, only applies to instructors mind, so you're in. We also have an instructors Mess that students, not recruits, are allowed to use the average price is £1 for a larger, be it Becks or a can of Millers.

When are you coming up!

Because Polar, we have no one that will fight our corner further up the food chain. So recruits and staff will get ripped off together. Camp staff say that units running they own bars on camp are doing so illegally!

Oh now I am scared, yes the place is Redford Cav Barracks, we're in this w/e if you want to play, you have to play nice mind.
Fortunately I'm at home whic is nowhere near that bypass!

FFBox said:
Oh now I am scared, yes the place is Redford Cav Barracks, we're in this w/e if you want to play, you have to play nice mind.
Fortunately I'm at home whic is nowhere near that bypass!
Don't worry mate I'm not a stalker. But I don't live far away!. Thanks for the invite though.

brucewillis said:
Because Polar, we have no one that will fight our corner further up the food chain. So recruits and staff will get ripped off together. Camp staff say that units running they own bars on camp are doing so illegally!
So, so, wrong.

Another reason to go back to SDR days, 49 'polar' bde would have milked the opportunity presented by central training.

Going back is for Doctor Who, the here and now is ruled by contractors who are all about £££££s. Personally I think the whole situation is shit£.

But what can you do without the support of the permanent staff. I know the TA is not a drinking club (going back even further there) but when recruits have just joined they should have some down time without getting ripped. They after all aren't regular recruits who are had by the short and curlies.

What a bunch of fekking caaaaannnnts!

I'm supprised someone didnt 'donate' £100 out of course funds (requped or collected earlier/later) and sent the CQMS down to the offy to get some slabs in, then closed the bar, posted a guard on the door to prevent ANY squaddies from entering and redirecting them to the CQMS's store where they could 'draw' thier issue of beer. Legal because the beer is 1. pre bought, and 2 a gift so you dont run foul of the licensing laws.
And it would really fek off the civi cnut who is ripping off the poor boys and girls!

Grrrrr. This shiot really makes my blood boil. Its what stroopy senior NCO's are there for, to make it happen.

ahhhhhhh the wonkiest of donkies. I though ti was SOPs for every RTC to have one?

FF, have some bears visiting this weekend so sat night could be a possibility, alothough what is this i hear about the wonkey being a shared establishment now?

ha, it comes clearer.

Wonder when these RTC's are going to be properly funded? Last weekend we had soldiers going to Catterick, Ripon and 'nam. Only two minibuses, one of which couldn't carry luggage due to new regulations, oh what fun.

I have it on good authority that the bar (if we are talking about the same one) is not run by contractors and that all the money being made is going into the RTC funds to buy kit/equipment that the army is not providing for the recruits - such as daysacks so you can soon do away with your carrier bags for PT.