RIP

beufighter

Old-Salt
David Clapson.

Scaley back soldier of the 70s

Let down by civvie protocols!!!!!

Just another let down by ex service 'welfare charities' ???????

As sad as his death was, it's not just bureaucracy at fault.

What exactly did Mr Clapson's sister do to intervene in her own brother starving to death?

RAF889

Old-Salt
Just read what happened in the UK. That's just a ******* disgusting way to treat a British citizen never mind someone who has served the country.

Glad I fled.

RIP David Clapson, my sincere condolences to your family. I hope there's peace and respect where you are now.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-slammed-brushing-off-3928427
So he missed appt's to sort out his benefits and they stopped his benefits, well they will do. Sad as this may well be, clearly if he'd have gone to the appt he'd not have had his benefits stopped.

Agreed. Its not a clear cut case. But FFS half the population of the UK are welfare sponging foreigners who haven't paid tax let alone worn a uniform for the country.

Some people cant handle unemployment and welfare. I have never claimed it myself - and to be honest I have been as close to being where David was as you want to be. I can guess how it happened.

I work in aid Development, and any US funded project has the same question: "Are you an armed forces veteran".

Maybe we should start asking the same and helping the people who helped us a bit more.

One thing is certain. He deserved better.

It's a shame that his Sister or former oppo's didn't give enough of a shit to help him sort his admin out whilst he was still alive.

Of course it's a lot easier to just blame the Tories, nasty nasty tories.

I'm sure the Mirror were digging out blind to find a way to link the story to Thatcher.

Sad story.

But as one who also 'faced death on a daily basis as he served his country loyally in the terror hell of Northern Ireland' 30 years ago I'm puzzled as to why his military service is seen as being of relevance or giving him any greater entitlement than any other 'civvie'. His previous service is, of course, a useful means of scoring political points which, along with his sister's apparent failure to support him when he was alive, is simply distasteful.

CQMS

LE
Agreed. Its not a clear cut case. But FFS half the population of the UK are welfare sponging foreigners who haven't paid tax let alone worn a uniform for the country.

Some people cant handle unemployment and welfare. I have never claimed it myself - and to be honest I have been as close to being where David was as you want to be. I can guess how it happened.

I work in aid Development, and any US funded project has the same question: "Are you an armed forces veteran".

Maybe we should start asking the same and helping the people who helped us a bit more.

One thing is certain. He deserved better.

Why should an armed forces veteran be treated any differently to anyone else?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For those who may not have seen this story over their cornflakes
link is HERE

Beaufighter - had he applied to any Service charity ? Story does not refer to any such application, seeking instead to pin responsibility on callous Tory govt cuts (sic)

Sad tale - but a bit bemused by the comment about Service Welfare ?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
link is HERE

Beaufighter - had he applied to any Service charity ? Story does not refer to any such application, seeking instead to pin responsibility on callous Tory govt cuts (sic)

Likely depressed and didn't seek help, scoring political points is a cheap shot. If he'd not kept appt's under a Labour govt his money would stop just the same.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Why should an armed forces veteran be treated any differently to anyone else?

Everyone should be treated better TBH. Nice of his sister to make a fecking noise after he's died basically of self and system neglect

Chodmeister

RIP
RIP
link is HERE

No mention of SSAFA or even The Royal Signals Benevolent Fund, both of which he could have applied to.

He was with BT for 16 years so would or should have been receiving a pension from them too I would have thought. My lass was only with them for 10 years as a switchboard op and gets a monthly amount of just over a hundred notes, enough to stave off starvation I would have thought.

His sister whining on but I wonder how she tried to help, she doesn't look like she's going hungry.

A sad event being used by the Mirror to bash the Tories.

services charities probably wouldn't have been able to help because they don't really have a clue about the new system because its been made so confusing that no-one in the charity sector is able to give good advice. My dads a SSAFA caseworker and spent an entire day phoning around every welfare organisation he could think of trying to get information and not one of them could give him any relevant info because they haven't been clued in because the DWP refuses to give out guidance information even the CAB are clueless

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Just read what happened in the UK. That's just a ******* disgusting way to treat a British citizen never mind someone who has served the country.

Glad I fled.

RIP David Clapson, my sincere condolences to your family. I hope there's peace and respect where you are now.

Poor guy.

But what is disgusting? Asking him to co-operate with the benefits office in order to get his dole?

This bit of journalism is disgusting, perhaps. Everybody knows you get your money cut if you don't do what they ask - and you get other money if it happens. You don't just get left to starve.

I hope someone writes something nice about me and the Banja Luka Terror Hell that I proudly served in if something bad ever happens to me.

The fact that he previously hadn't filled in forms properly (must have been very badly) didn't make a very important appointment that his livelihood depended on, didn't ask for the appropriate help, didn't ask his family for help and didn't take his medication all say that he was most likely very depressed - perhaps his family should have a think about that before they go running to the papers.

That said - the sanctions are very harsh. £71 a week isn't a lot to live on at all and must be very difficult for any extended period of time. It might just about buy food and keep the lights on, but come time for a new pair of shoes, I imagine you'd struggle - even if you are one of those arrser's who can make a chicken last a family of four for a month. It must be very difficult to lose any of it.

His sister has probably caught the sweet scent of compo.

Sad thing is it was probably just the chance to get her grid in the paper being "Outraged and offended" and slipped a couple of quid by the mirror

I'm not a redtopper but the mirror gets Gimp points for being the only media outlet to publicise Section 75 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012

Latest Threads