Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Wren Chasen & W/O Captain Povey

Heather Chasen has left the Island at the age of 92.
Her ex-girlfriend Amanda Barrie leads tributes to her ‘wonderfully eccentric’ friend.
Having listened to her naval alter ego since I was a child, she had a wonderful voice, but I never knew she wore sensible shoes as a matter of routine in her ordinary life.

Maple

LE
I'm sad to hear that, got into the Navy Lark when in the Falklands, I always thought that WREN Chasen and that Lt Philips made a good pair

Lovable Lesley always loved a good pair - and so so it would seem did WREN Chasen........ I bet Commander Povey is relieved though

1590318013164.png

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Her ex-girlfriend Amanda Barrie leads tributes to her ‘wonderfully eccentric’ friend.
Having listened to her naval alter ego since I was a child, she had a wonderful voice, but I never knew she wore sensible shoes as a matter of routine in her ordinary life.
RIP.Must have really got into her character."Left hand down a bit" motto of the Wrens!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sorry to hear that. The Navy Lark was one of the funniest programmes on radio and she contributed well to it.

Didn't know about the comfy shoes either - but who cares, none of our business.

I love the Navy Lark. There’s more to it than meets the eye. Ronnie Barker plays some excellent minor roles and the Service element reflects many a jape and dit described on ARRSE.

She had a very seductive voice. In my mind's eye (never having seen a photo) I pictured her as Dana Wynter (from 'Sink the Bismarck!'. Radio is good in that way - you paint your own pictures.
RIP.

So Cleopatra lacks for company now?

Slime

LE
I love the Navy Lark. There’s more to it than meets the eye. Ronnie Barker plays some excellent minor roles and the Service element reflects many a jape and dit described on ARRSE.

I thought he was superb as Fatso. :)
Imho convincingly playing the role of a simpleton is extremely difficult.

War Hero
As in W/O Capt Povey.
She also played 2nd Offr McClutey and various ambassadors’ wives.
Basically, ‘roving bint’, the show’s female equivalent of Ronnie Barker.
Definitely "roving", According to Wikipedia she played:
WREN Chasen
Mrs Ramona Povey
Rita Murray
Morpeth Goldstein
Natasha Snogitoff
Lady Quirk
Miss Simpkins
Lady Todhunter-Brown
Lucy Doll
Queen Jaratova
Wren Simkins
Second Officer Maclootie
Lady Hamilton
Myrtle Pertwee
Mrs Sedgwick
Fatima Sumpbolt
Nurse at the RN College, Dartmouth
Renee, daughter of the landlord of the Popple's Head pub and barmaid at the pub
Judith "Judikins" Povey
Exotic & Sultry Tanya (Agent no.5)
Agent No.2 (working for The Mistress)
Norwegian waitress
Dolores "the Danglers"
Fifi

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry to hear that. The Navy Lark was one of the funniest programmes on radio and she contributed well to it.

Didn't know about the comfy shoes either - but who cares, none of our business.
An Admiral who passed away last year, was also a fan of the programme, and admitted to passing saucy snippets to the scriptwriters, which is how it often seemed it be in touch with the latest ups and downs of the Senior Service

Latest Threads