RIP, Wally Parr

Ex Ox and Bucks, in the first glider to land at Pegasus Bridge. Died 3rd december in Lewsiham Hospital.

I had the particular honour of meeting this geezer ( for such he was ) at the 60th anniversary of D Day, at Pegasus Bridge.

Anyone who has read Steven Ambrose's "Pegasus Bridge" will, I suspect, also have been in awe of this man.

I'll raise a glass to you tonight, Wally.

I believe he was credited with executing

"the single greatest feat of airmanship during WW2"

... i dont know who that quote is attributed to but i'm sure one of my learned friends can help me out ...

RIP Wally, i'll raise a glass for you this very evening.

No,that was Staff Sgt Jim Wallwark, Glider Pilots Reg.

After a 10k glide, at night, he landed his glider 47m from the bridge. Strictly speaking, he and his copilot where the first guys to touch French soil on D day, but they arrived via the Perspex canopy of their glider and did not know about it for some time.

Hi, I would just like to clear up a slight mis understanding about Wally, he was NOT Jim Wallwork who was the SSgt pilot of Glider No 1

Picture of Jim Wallwork

But infact Pte Wally Parr (although he was a full screw shortly before deploying and recieved imediate promotion as soon as he landed)

Wally was a personal friend of mine and my inspiration in joining up, I will sorely miss him

Thread on Wallys passing

French Site about Wally

Bravo_Bravo said:
No,that was Staff Sgt Jim Wallwark, Glider Pilots Reg.

After a 10k glide, at night, he landed his glider 47m from the bridge. Strictly speaking, he and his copilot where the first guys to touch French soil on D day, but they arrived via the Perspex canopy of their glider and did not know about it for some time.
Actually there were beaten by the Pathfinders who landed some 30 mins before, I can't remember off the top of my head the first to land but it was a Capt with a suitibly french name