RIP Rachel Squire MP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Jan 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many people may think "what's this all about"?

Rachel Squire was, however, a champion of the Armed Forces in her very active role on the Commons Defence Committee. In particular, she took a close interest in the pension scheme and asked awkward questions that we could not, for example regarding the so-called sham "consultation". She may well have ended up its next chairman.

Her voting record showed that she wasn't lobby fodder either. Although many on this forum are not fond of the Labour Party, Rachel Squire was an outstanding constituency and backbench MP and this country desperately needs more like her.

Edited to include news link
  2. Thats a shame, hopefully an example others will follow

3. I have heard several good things about this MP! She fought her corner well.

RIP, lady.

4. That is a damn shame. She was certainly a friend of the Forces.

RIP Rachel
  5. She certainly made a great contribution to democracy and representation of the people.

Rest In Peace.
  6. Like Kate Hoey she was one of those MPs that didn't really seem to fit in with NULab's style. It is a shame, Parliment needs more like her and fewer cyphers on both sides of the House.
  7. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

The Government need more people like her.

8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Rachel Squire's obituary is in The Times today.

I remember her for her 'backstabbing' comments to TCH as well as her contribution to the Defence Select Committee. An MP who represented her constituency rather than just toeing the party line. She will be missed.
  9. Knew her well in the early nineties when lobbying for an industry body. Very pleasant company and we had much in common, so conversations often ranged away from business to cover fife, durham University and similar topics. She sent me a note on HofC notepaper when I was mobilised in 1995, which I think is probably safe somewhere chez Cuddles.

God bless, RIP Rachel.