Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RIP Professor Richard Holmes CBE

I have read many of his books, and watched his TV documentaries, he always seemed to me to be a man fascinated by his subject, with the rare ability to tell other people about it without being a bore, or a know-it-all.

He seemed to be a gentleman and the previous posts bear this out.

I wish his family well.

I met the late Richard Holmes at a lecture he gave during military book week in Tidworth irrespective of rank or cap badge he captivated his audience, he truly was a great man and will be missed in his field

Met him once in a museum gift-shop in Belgium on a battlefield history trip. He wasn't our guide but on approaching him held forth in the best style and was friendly to us inquisitive teens.

Absolutely top notch Officer and gentleman. He will be sadly missed by all, RIP Sir.

Together with John Keegan Prof Holmes reconstructed military history. His insight was astounding and his books a joy to read.

RIP Sir

He was an amazing man with abilities in many directions. He was a very positive and influential patron for the Guild of Battlefield Guides.

Oh and hedgehog64, I don't think the reference to his having effects on generations of officers was meant to be snobby or exclusive. It merely referred to his role in educating literally generations of YOs as they passed through RMAS - with them in many cases nodding gently through his lectures after a spot of double endurance!

Very sad loss. Had the privilege of meeting him a while back when he gave a superb lecture on D-Day.

Can't imagine anyone filling his shoes.

RIP Sir.

An amazing man. He was incredibly generous with his time and help, even in his last weeks.
An outstanding speaker, I remember him arriving into an unknown room pretty much direct from visiting PWRR Iraq and speaking on his book Sahib. He wove the portraits in the room (which he could not have anticipated) into the talk, which lasted precisely 45 minutes, as he said it would.
If only there were more men with his brain, wit and kindness.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brigadier Richard on two occasions. The first a mess dinner for 6/7 Queens (or were we PWRR by then) and the 2nd in Chichester for a memorial to the laying up of the colours of 6/7 PWRR. On both occasions he spoke with vision, enthusiasm and detailed knowledge on every question thrown at him. He was even anle to make doctrine sound interesting by using odd German words, such as Kriegspiel! A wonderful man who I'd come to admire from his books and TV appearances before I met him.

However no matter how much we will miss him, my real thoughts are to his family who will surely feel his loss far more.