RIP - Peter Baron

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Nil-desperandum, Apr 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very sad to see the passing of a true gentleman and sincere friend.
    Lt Col (Retd) Peter Baron was the epitome of the professional communicator in my book and one of life's genuine nice guys. He'll be sorely missed by his loving family and his many, many friends.

RIP my friend.
  2. RIP Snoopy. Served with him in Belize, Germany and UK. He will be sadly missed and must have been very young. A great guy and a great loss.
  3. "in my book and one of life's genuine nice guys."

A sentiment I heartily endorse, ND.

RIP, Snoopy.
  4. Tragic news. RIP Pete and condolences to your family.
  5. It's really sad news. I met him first in Germany in the eighties and kept meeting up with him thereafter, even after he'd left the service and gone to work (for Westlands?). He was a really lovely character who had a kind word for (almost) everybody, and a great sense of humour. I'll miss the glint in his eye as he gently pulled my leg about something or other.

RIP, Pete, and I offer my condolences to the family as will all his very many friends, serving and retired.

6. Wrong one exbleep. Peter the elder Baron has passed away. Snoopy is due to retire soon and is very much with us still, thankfully. Regards.
  7. Thanks for the correction, ND.

Sincere apologies to all concerned.
  8. Would this be ex WO1 (Y of S) Pete Baron who served with 30 Sigs during the early 80's, if so he saved my bacon one drunken night. I was drunk and he was Orderly Officer.

RIP Pete.
  9. Yes Jack, same one - cracking bloke. If anyone can make it the details are below from his family.

The funeral will be at 12.30pm on Tuesday 20th April, at All Saints Church in Hemswell, Lincolnshire. For those with Sat Nav, the postcode is DN21 5UQ.

From there we will make our way to Woodlands Crematorium in Scunthorpe, for 2pm, for a short committal. The address is: Woodlands Crematorium, Brumby Wood Lane, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN17 1SP.

Leaving the crematorium we will then make our way back to Hemswell Court, to raise a glass or two to Dad. Hemswell Court address is: Lancaster Green, Hemswell Cliff, Lincolnshire, DN21 5TQ.
  10. I will not be able to make that, I live in France at the mo.

I did speak to Pete at the 2002 30 Sigs reunion in Blandford (Falklands 20th Anniversary) and recounted to him how he had saved me on that forgetful night - I think he said something like 'shut up you drunken fool' theres a pattern growing here lol

As you say one of the best.

I shall raise a glass on the 20th.

Pete is not the first to go, you know you are pushing on when your bosses of yester year are going to the great RV in the sky.

As per my previous post RIP Pete. Cheers.
  11. An inspirational friend and colleague. I'm sadly unable to make Pete's funeral but will pause tomorrow (with a few others) and think of better, past times. A great guy and a fighter to the end with his enduring sense of humour.
  12. Warmest thanks for all your kind comments. Peter was one of a kind, a brother and friend for whom I had the greatest respect and love. He will be greatly missed by all his family and friends but will live on in our hearts and memories. Pete had a great send off with many of his ex-army colleagues present along side his family.

RIP my dearest brother.
  13. I have come across this news totally by accident. I am totally shocked.

Although I havent been in contact with Pete for a number of years, the first time we met was as we stepped off the train at Darlington on our first day in the military. Pete, Myself and Flash became an inseperable trio. Basic training, through trade training and onto our first posting at St Tonis. We bumped into each other regularly during our service. I even remember making him attend my wedding on Cup Final day 10 May 1980, he sat there glued to the radio as Wst Ham were in the final.

I am truely sadden that I will never speak to my "best friend" until it's time to join up with him again.

Deepest sympathy to his family.

Stag on Snoopy - Your life long friend Dave
  15. Was he traffic officer at 22 sigs around '89-'90?