RIP Paul McKeever PolFed

RIP to the old fox Paul McKeever of the Police Federation.

Whatever you have to say about the Fed Paul fought our side with dignity and guile. I heard him speak at the march in London and immediately knew we had a good man to lead the fight.

I for one will miss him outfoxing the wicked witch May like at the Fed AGM whilst onstage. Brilliant.

RIP that Sergeant.

Inspector Gadget spoke highly of him on his web site. I suppose if you're outspoken you will not be everbodys favourite Teddy. However a bit of respect is due. RIP.

Inspector Gadget spoke highly of him on his web site. I suppose if you're outspoken you will not be everbodys favourite Teddy. However a bit of respect is due. RIP.
So, we'll flood this board with RIP threads for anyone who dies and then sit back on our self righteous high horse and demand that everyone shows respek to our fallen soulja?

Toms are different, everyone else can **** off.

So, we'll flood this board with RIP threads for anyone who dies and then sit back on our self righteous high horse and demand that everyone shows respek to our fallen soulja?

Toms are different, everyone else can **** off.
CQMS if you want to sit on a high horse, go ahead. I will remain with both feet firmly on the ground. Sgt McKeever was a serving police officer in a police force that by all accounts is getting shittier by the day. For that reason alone the rank and file of the police force deserve some respect for doing a job that lesser mortals fear to do. As for Toms, are they the only ones in the British Army?

CQMS if you want to sit on a high horse, go ahead. I will remain with both feet firmly on the ground. Sgt McKeever was a serving police officer in a police force that by all accounts is getting shittier by the day. For that reason alone the rank and file of the police force deserve some respect for doing a job that lesser mortals fear to do. As for Toms, are they the only ones in the British Army?
Drillgaff don't worry about it I'm sure the same kind of comments will be put on here when his obituary is posted.

Sadly it fell to be his lot to deal with the Home Secretary when she defended the Winsor Report at the conference in 2012.

In comparison to what was clearly rubbish (pay is not the sole concern of police officers, but it suits the media agenda to portray police as fat, lazy, corrupt), Mr McKeever managed an aside which clearly hit the point -

Mr McKeever called for a show of hands from all those who thought the review was independent.
And when he got no response he turned to the Home Secretary, saying: “I notice not even you put your hand up.”
Mrs May stared angrily at Mr McKeever and said: “Nice little gimmick, Paul.”
Theresa May heckled at Police Federation conference over cuts - Mirror Online

It made the point better than some of the ill tempered goings on from the rest of the conference.

I am not qualified to say anything else about him, but for that moment he clearly encapsulated why policing should not be politicised in the way this government so nakedly is doing.

And for that he should be thanked. We'll regret it when we loose it, and Mr McKeever lived to see a job he gave so much time to being dismantled before our eyes.

I'm sure he was a cracking chap and all that, but why is this posted here?

Coppers aren't exactly adored here. What was his connection to the military?

Why should I care?
Or anyone else?
News gossip and chat and loads of Old Bill are ex squaddies so why not? Loads of bollocks talked on the site daily so why not Paul McKeevers death. Nothing more than that really.

God forbid the police federation ever be accused of politicising anything.......pleb.....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
When your local police have been dismantled to serve the target culture of a political appointee, just remember that.

:)

I might well be a pleb, which is why we need the "officer class" to keep us in line.

I can't wait for the job to fall apart under these ill conceived "reforms". It barely works now, but it works because of good will of constables. Well, enough grit has been thrown into the working parts by May et al for it all to grind to a halt.

Not that they give a damn, and the only losers will be the nice British public. But the targets are met, so that's OK. There's not really enough to investigate your burglary, or not enough budget to send off the forensics.

But never mind that eh?

The crooks don't care they stopped being afraid of the plod years ago. Bit of shame really. There'll care less in a few years when people with options leave and the job becomes the national employer of last resort, or the place for people who are so desperate to be cops they'll swallow any load of shit to be one (and that scares me!)

But never mind, you just go on making playground taunts. Not at all like there's bigger issues about is it.

You can check out the whole thread over at Mitchell if you want to carry this on.

As long as the working professionals can be kept infighting by peripheral issues, the ********* that are wrecking this country will continue to be about to sit and laugh at us - free from scrutiny.

There are a few people here who bemoan the perception that the police are becoming politicised. Some of them will be the kind of people who have come onto the radar through shoplifting, speeding, scrapping etc. and instead of manning up and taking it on the chin, prefer to drip on. Others will be 15 year olds (either physically or mentally) who adopt the pose as part of their internet hardman persona. There might even be some who have genuine concerns born from thoughtful consideration.

I think that most people who have served in the armed forces should realise that, rather than being politicised, they were/are the ultimate plaything of politicians. You can dress it up in scarlet tunics, bearskin caps and tradition, but that's all it amounts to.

As you grow up and get older, you feel far less inclined to tug the forelock.... and thank God for that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
napier The Intelligence Cell 37
BritSol REME 2
k13eod Military History and Militaria 46