Rip off agency. Advice sought.

No, they’d blagged him about some Welsh Government work programme, where he got £250 a week (that’s more than minimum isn’t it? This was 2012) and was meant to get training. They had enrolled him, and billed us, on some watered down distance learning thing actually. Cost under a grand.
Either Work-based learning Contracts or Jobs Growth Wales, either of which scheme the worker would be eligible for on the face of it given the "information" that you have provided.

If it was via one of the scheme, minimum wage could well apply, as that was the stipulated minimum payment possible, then it was £6.19 for over 21's, that would give you around £250 a week before stoppages.

However, if it was, they might well be in breech of their contract with the Welsh Government unless they could show that the job would be ongoing after 6 months in the case of Jobs Growth Wales, there's also a whole host of other requirements, not to mention audits in place.

The only way that the client could up that persons wages would be AWR regulations, as a comparator pay rate once the worker qualifies, even then, in this case, that's not a given as its part of a back to work training scheme

Either Work-based learning Contracts or Jobs Growth Wales, either of which scheme the worker would be eligible for on the face of it given the "information" that you have provided.

If it was via one of the scheme, minimum wage could well apply, as that was the stipulated minimum payment possible, then it was £6.19 for over 21's, that would give you around £250 a week before stoppages.

However, if it was, they might well be in breech of their contract with the Welsh Government unless they could show that the job would be ongoing after 6 months in the case of Jobs Growth Wales, there's also a whole host of other requirements, not to mention audits in place.

The only way that the client could up that persons wages would be AWR regulations, as a comparator pay rate once the worker qualifies, even then, in this case, that's not a given as its part of a back to work training scheme

It was a blag.

The ‘agency’ was a chancer with a microscopic training firm- he did crappy little manual handling courses and things like that.

Hearing at one of these events that my site (this was before I came on board) needed a safety supervisor, and knowing how very clueless my company was, he took a chance on filling the place with a mate of a mate of a mate.

Blagged both sides. The Welsh Govt stuff was fantasy, based on a couple of leaflets.

His ‘agency’ was my guy and a couple of cleaners.

I told him to fukc offf, he threatened court, I laughed. The ripped off guy took some action (didn’t ask).

Couple of weeks later the blagging ‘agency’ chap rang me, clearly drunk, sobbing about his life falling apart because he’d been relying on that income.

I rang the Tax Man and gave them everything I knew.

No, they’d blagged him about some Welsh Government work programme, where he got £250 a week (that’s more than minimum isn’t it? This was 2012) and was meant to get training. They had enrolled him, and billed us, on some watered down distance learning thing actually. Cost under a grand.
All about as credible as the man in the moon selling green lunar cheese in John Lewis... crack on.

It was a blag.

The ‘agency’ was a chancer with a microscopic training firm- he did crappy little manual handling courses and things like that.

Hearing at one of these events that my site (this was before I came on board) needed a safety supervisor, and knowing how very clueless my company was, he took a chance on filling the place with a mate of a mate of a mate.

Blagged both sides. The Welsh Govt stuff was fantasy, based on a couple of leaflets.

I told him to fukc offf, he threatened court, I laughed. The ripped off guy took some action (didn’t ask).

Couple of weeks later the blagging ‘agency’ chap rang me, clearly drunk, sobbing about his life falling apart because he’d been relying on that income.

Do you have your own office now, or are you still using the WiFi in McDonald's?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hello. I don’t want to sound like a whining rich guy, but there’s a principle here and it’s definitely about the money.

I’m on a long term day rate rôle through my own Ltd Co. There are no issues about concealed employment, that side of things is fully kosher.

The existing dept. head, with whom I was working on projects, left a few weeks ago (under a bit of a cloud-fake illness leave, fiddling expenses, fibbing about qualifications and making a pass at the wife of the top customer at a function. No, he wasn’t ever 2 i/c of a TA Inf Bn)

They offered me his job, PAYE, and I’ve accepted.

In the genial handshaking and out comes the sherry in the boardroom, the Finance Director gently ribbed me about the pay cut to PAYE on the low six figures. I said it wasn’t that big a drop. He looked puzzled and asked some technical tax questions which I answered like this: “Duuuuhhhhh???”

Turns out, the agency I work through (who told me their daily slice of my daily pie is 10%) are taking closer to 30%.

Over the time I’ve been here, since last June, the difference adds up to around £22k.

I feel I’ve been took for a mug, and I’m very angry.

Anyone got any ideas for setting things right?*

*going round their office with a bat, shouting ‘give me my money you robbing bastards’ has already crossed my mind.
Do you have any written correspondence that says 10%, letter anything or was it verbal?

It was a blag.

So not an agency then? if it was, it would have had proper T&C's which would of been enforced, this tale of woe rivals that of a fisherman claiming he's caught the largest Carp in the lake

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
No, sorry I must have explained it wrong.
We were paying £295 to the agency, daily.

They paid him £250 a week.
Yup, you definitely did, in fact you were costing your company an extra £55 per day. Explanation below:-
Bod is on £250 pw
Agency is charging your company £295 per day
You plan to pay bod £350 per day, therefore an extra payment of £55 per day, plus the addtional NI subscriptions of taking the bod on as employee instead of as a contractor.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It was a blag.

Kin hell, potential blackmailer, now grass, is there anything you can't/won't turn your hand to?

Yup, you definitely did, in fact you were costing your company an extra £55 per day. Explanation below:-
Bod is on £250 pw
Agency is charging your company £295 per day
You plan to pay bod £350 per day, therefore an extra payment of £55 per day, plus the addtional NI subscriptions of taking the bod on as employee instead of as a contractor.
Ah, yes. I was concentrating on the rip off which came to light while I was trying to establish a level playing field.

We were on several very similar projects, but they weren’t talking to each other at all. Therefore, the mistakes of the more mature projects were repeated (at great expense) on newer ones. My plan was to cross pollinate amongst the teams, sending guys from the 30 month point back down to the 8 month point if you see what I mean. Once they got together inevitably the pay differentials became a mahhhooooosive issue.

My gaffer gave me a blamange cart (is that the phrase?) so the odd £50 here and there on a day rate was fine.

He didn’t go PAYE, just got his ltd. co. details and we paid him direct. He still loves me.

So not an agency then? if it was, it would have had proper T&C's which would of been enforced, this tale of woe rivals that of a fisherman claiming he's caught the largest Carp in the lake
Considering the values of the projects, I was and remain utterly dumbfounded at the lack of any sort of governance in that company.

They were ripe for being blagged at every level.

On one job we did the whole landscaping package-around £650k- and it wasn’t on our scope. The client let us get on with it.

I spotted it and my boss was really angry I brought it up because it made his mate, the project director, look stupid.

With huge profit margins because of great negotiators on our side and crap/bribed(?) ones on the client side, the odd £10k rip off or whoops £650k bill didn’t seem to matter.

Interesting place to work.