• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RIP......HMS Ark Royal

Why is it sad. It was out of date, and only had one unique plane to fly off it.

It's a lesson learned. We're not likely to make the same mistake again...

Why is it sad. I was out of date, and only had one unique plane to fly off it.

It's a lesson learned. We're not likly to make the same mistake again...
Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho. No, of course not. We always learn from our mistakes, dont we. Any chance of the next generation of Carriers being tied in to being STOVL only (for that unique, costly & non-interoperable JSF) ? or will we be electing to spend on maximising interoperability and future-proofing it with cats & traps.

Ummmm. Oh, shite!

Here's how she looked in happier times :pirat:
No wonder they're all standing on the ramp looking at you, if that's how far you stick your waggle-stick up out of the water. There's a fair wake behind you in the water, too, looks like you're doing much too high a speed for PD - lost the trim?

No wonder they're all standing on the ramp looking at you, if that's how far you stick your waggle-stick up out of the water. There's a fair wake behind you in the water, too, looks like you're doing much too high a speed for PD - lost the trim?
The Helos couldnt find us so we had to give you a clue.

I remember sailing past Cairnryan one January night in 1981, outbound from NI to Stranraer on my way to a posting in Germany. The snow was coming down thick and fast as we passed the breakers yard and the old Ark Royal. The yard was floodlit and I wish now I'd had a camera...

Latest Threads