RIP......HMS Ark Royal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Squeakyboat, Jul 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this pic today - The dismantling of HMS Ark Royal..RIP old girl.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I remember working on the Ark back in the 1980's. The time's flown by.
  3. Why is it sad. It was out of date, and only had one unique plane to fly off it.

It's a lesson learned. We're not likely to make the same mistake again...
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho. No, of course not. We always learn from our mistakes, dont we. Any chance of the next generation of Carriers being tied in to being STOVL only (for that unique, costly & non-interoperable JSF) ? or will we be electing to spend on maximising interoperability and future-proofing it with cats & traps.

Ummmm. Oh, shite!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ark 2008.jpg

Here's how she looked in happier times
  6. [​IMG]

Here's how she looked in happier times :pirat:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I remember watching the previous Ark being broken up at cairnryan..or was it the Eagle? . bother it both of them I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It's a ****ing boat.
  9. No wonder they're all standing on the ramp looking at you, if that's how far you stick your waggle-stick up out of the water. There's a fair wake behind you in the water, too, looks like you're doing much too high a speed for PD - lost the trim?
  10. true...but she had some history for some of us.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BAE has already dismantled this one.....:)

12. Her sister ship in 1982.

Attached Files:

13. Now - that's what I call cradle-to-grave life management. Forward thinking, or what!
  14. In those days when they built a carrier they made sure they had planes to go on it. :)
  15. The Helos couldnt find us so we had to give you a clue.