RIP Dan Duell

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, May 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is with sadness that I pass on news of the death of Maj Dan Duell.

Truly one of life's gentlemen, he was oft described as "the nicest man in NATO". Quiet, unassuming and very capable indeed; a source of sound advice, and always willing to pass on his experience or lend a guiding hand.

I have very fond memories of playing golf with Dan in Brunei. He teed off with an iron and hit it further than my driver, and had the most wonderful old wooden "conker" putter - full of character, just like Dan. He played golf like he did a lot of things - in a calm, modest and understated fashion, but very capably indeed. I remember making him chuckle on the 7th at Berakas Kem, after I played what he smilingly declared to be "the worst hole of golf I have ever seen".

RIP Dan. A crying shame, as you were an absolute top bloke. Condolences to family and friends, you will genuinely be missed by all who knew you.

• Like Like x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  2. That is terrible news. CR gives a fitting tribute to Dan - the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, he never had a bad word to say about anybody, a true gentleman. My greatest memory of Dan was when he turned up to replace me in Pakistan - he'd spent seven hours in cattle class on a Pak Airways Flight because the shifters had cocked up his ticket in Business - he didn't complain once and just laughed about it.
    RIP my old mate, thanks for the good times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Very sorry to get the news this morning. A damn nice bloke who always had a big grin on his face. RIP Dan.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RIP - one of the nicest officers I ever served under

• Like Like x 1
  5. A true Gent, lovely bloke. I remember well his time with 39 Regt in Sennelager and the frustration of stables parade in front of the empty sheds where Phoenix would be when it entered service and then to us in Rhinedahlen to the MND(C)! Sad loss.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tragic news. A great loss to family, friends, and the Corps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I can only echo what's already been said, a tragic loss of a top, top man. A real shame he was taken so early.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have only good memories of Dan, a truely nice guy and he will be sadly missed. RIP mate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Could anyone wish for better tributes than those posted? This is ARRSE at its very best.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deeply shocked and saddened at the sudden loss of such a genuine and lovely guy. I first met Dan in 97 when he was at MND(C) and I was in 1 MI. Instantly struck me as a very approachable guy, quietly confident and always smiling and laughing. Our paths crossed many many times after that and we always had a good chat and caught up with what we had been doing since we last met. He was one of the few Corps members who everybody liked, I have never met anyone who had a bad word to say about him.

So sad I will never be able to have a good chat with Dan again.

RIP Dan, sincere condolences to his family.

Such a very sad loss.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I echo everything that's already been written on this thread about Dan - someone who we could be proud to call a true gentleman. RIP

• Like Like x 1
  12. A huge shock. RIP Sir.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Great shame. A thoroughly decent chap. RIP

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  14. Goodbye Dan, you will never be forgotten. I can still hear that booming laugh, still see your mahoosive frame and that ever present sports jacket, and experience that crushing handshake. Life gave you some pretty hard knocks but you always came up smiling, always did the best for your boys and the Corps. Rest in peace mate. Will be having a coldie in your memory next ANZAC Day.

• Like Like x 3