RIP Clive Fairweather

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by beemer007, Oct 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Nice chap and not very old.

2. RIP

condolences to his friends
  3. Rest In Peace Borderer. XXV
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I'd heard he was very unwell. RIP to an officer who was not afraid to speak his mind.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
  5. An old friend who will be missed by all who knew him.

6. I had both the pleasure and the honour of sharing a bottle of wine or maybees it was two with Col Clive, a couple of months or so before the diagnosis was made. I was ribbing him on the old BBC series where he featured stood one foot on the mess table in full toast form. A bit of Irish v Jocks banter.

A lovely, compassionate man. May he Rest in Peace. Condolences to his family.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Randomly, I once shared a long car journey with him. He struck me as a sort of real-life Murdoch from the A Team. Slightly mental, but knew what he was doing. He carried a lot of gravitas, but it wasn't deliberate.

He was also very proud to be a part of Combat Stress.

A great bloke, the likes of which are few and far between these days.
  8. Last saw him in May when he was in his usual form. His passing is a sad loss to the armed forces community, and to Scotland. R.I.P.
  9. A great guy, sadly missed.
  10. Met him last year. Seemed a decent approachable man and good supporter of combat stress.

Question is why no knighthood? Especially when they are given to any celeb these days? Who'd he upset? Good military career, good position as prison inspector and position in charitable sector with combat stress.
  11. As a young boy in the late 80's the Fairweathers came to stay for a weekend in the country with us, I was aware of his background from what my Dad had told me and desperate to ask questions when they first arrived, however in light of the younger audience the conversation at dinner centered on subalterns high jinks and 'in the field' tales between my Father and him, my impression was very much of a self depreciating gentleman who my dear departed Dad thought the world of. God rest you Sir, a life well lived.
    • Like Like x 1