RIP CG Holtom OBE

Sad to report the passing of a previous D Int Chris Holtom.

Always prepared to offer and take a challenge, Chris was adept at getting the best out of those around him, be they hardened SB officers or cynical JNCOs.

Described elsewhere as a marmite figure, he was always prepared to listen and give anyone space for their competing narrative. I guess we have the Tanks to thank for some of that.

Chris led DISS and the Corps from Kent up to Chicksands and ensured it was the Corps new home.

From a business perspective, Chris made a fist of the transition of DISC to agency status.
After my time, that trading status was given away, a loss I'm sure he felt. Chris is still fondly remembered in the local community.
Others may be able to comment on his time in industry, in Africa and beyond.

Chris left me with two great take-aways:

Chris was a huge advocate for the Priory, in my role as his SO3 J3 Chai Wallah I sat in on a few visiting VIP lunches where the truth finally came out:
"What I really like about having the Priory as our mess Your Highness / Minister / General, is that it really pissed the Cavalry off"

On intelligence:

" Never mind the answer, you have to get the question right first"

Stand easy Chris, you have a lot of mates and a few bottles of Bush waiting on the other side.

D

Deleted 15653

Met him a few times towards the end of my time with the Corps and he seemed a decent sort. RIP

Always prepared to offer and take a challenge, Chris was adept at getting the best out of those around him, be they hardened SB officers or cynical JNCOs.

Described elsewhere as a marmite figure, he was always prepared to listen and give anyone space for their competing narrative. I guess we have the Tanks to thank for some of that.

Chris led DISS and the Corps from Kent up to Chicksands and ensured it was the Corps new home.

From a business perspective, Chris made a fist of the transition of DISC to agency status.
After my time, that trading status was given away, a loss I'm sure he felt. Chris is still fondly remembered in the local community.

Chris was a huge advocate for the Priory, in my role as his SO3 J3 Chai Wallah I sat in on a few visiting VIP lunches where the truth finally came out:
"What I really like about having the Priory as our mess Your Highness / Minister / General, is that it really pissed the Cavalry off"

On intelligence:

Stand easy Chris, you have a lot of mates and a few bottles of Bush waiting on the other side.
He told me once his brother designed the ban the bomb logo - and he did. RIP

Choux Bun

Old-Salt

On intelligence:

Sad news indeed. He (and his deaf, half blind white cat) was my neighbour on Long Walk, Templar (Ashford). In addition, I was at the first formal dinner held in the Priory Officers Mess at Chicksands and know that Chris loved the place. RIP.

That is very sad news. He was a brilliant Coy 2IC at Bielefeld; everyone in the company knew that he was watching their backs. I later had occasional dealings with him in commercial life, and knew that I could trust him not only on the product he was selling, but the details too. As @HMoss above says; a thoroughly decent man.
7 Int Coy 1979.jpg

Last edited:

green_slime

War Hero
He was the Director when I was commissioned.

In our JO's lunch he commented that as Int Corps Orrifcers were all of high quality, we always took one that was very ordinary to make the rest look good. Then he looked at me, with that twinkle in his eye, and said greenslime that one is you. Liked him from that moment.

RIP Sir.

(He was right but (probably) did not mean it)

Shamus

Old-Salt
Yeah a thoroughly nice bloke, got along well with him but can't really remember where it was, therefore must have been in my early days in 7 Coy when everything was a bit hazy lol

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can only add my voice to the chorus above. He was a thoroughly decent bloke, I've had a number of very useful interactions with him in my professional life and he was always far kinder and more helpful to me than I deserved.

I was privileged to have known Chris in Service, to have worked closely with him in civilian life, and to have attended his funeral. An excellent Officer and one of nature’s true gentlemen, we are certainly much the poorer at his passing but so much the richer for having known him. RIP Chris.
6042753B-EDBD-42BA-B277-DC80AD652181.jpeg

Latest Threads