RIP Bernard McCormick

We are sad to report the death of Bernard McCormick, former WO2 of 13/14 Signals Regiment, currently in the Int Corp Reserves, on the 17th of July 2021. He suffered a heart attack at his home. He died in hospital with his family at his side.

I don't know if he actively posted on this forum, but I recalled him showing it to me once (mostly he was laughing at the name, I think) and thought it might be a good place to start to get in touch with old friends who may wish to attend a wake in some shape or form. We do not have any solid plans right now, but are considering meeting up or hiring out a room at the Hunting Lodge as I understand this is where this sort of thing is usually done. If that's not the case, then we'd welcome any other suggestions. He didn't really talk about the services he attended.

Any insight into the processes surrounding his pension would also be welcome.

Mods, please accept my apologies if this isn't the right area for this.

Katherine McCormick

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
We are sad to report the death of Bernard McCormick, former WO2 of 13/14 Signals Regiment, currently in the Int Corp Reserves, on the 17th of July 2021. He suffered a heart attack at his home. He died in hospital with his family at his side.

I don't know if he actively posted on this forum, but I recalled him showing it to me once (mostly he was laughing at the name, I think) and thought it might be a good place to start to get in touch with old friends who may wish to attend a wake in some shape or form. We do not have any solid plans right now, but are considering meeting up or hiring out a room at the Hunting Lodge as I understand this is where this sort of thing is usually done. If that's not the case, then we'd welcome any other suggestions. He didn't really talk about the services he attended.

Katherine McCormick
Condolences to you and your family.

I’m sad to hear this news. Bernie was at 13 when I arrived as a fresh Lance corporal and he gave me much good advice. All unofficial as he wasn’t in my chain of command and much of it was “you might want to think about that idea again “. Later at 14 he ran the DEWC Div EW Cell and was again very supportive of me and all the Int Corps juniors. Our paths didn’t cross again. If circumstances permit a gathering I’d certainly be interested, if not then I’d gladly send a contribution to his favourite charity or ABF in his memory. I have a glass to hand and am raising it in his memory.

I never knew him, but I send my sincerest condolences to his family as a fellow former soldier.

RADAR752

Clanker

Katherine McCormick

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer

Katherine McCormick
That is a damn shame. Bernie was the instructor on my basic language course in 1979/80 and we kept in loose touch ever since.

Drop me a note at landsmand - at - gmail. com and I'll put you in touch with the Intelligence Corps Association, who will be extremely helpful.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've contacted the Secretary of the Int Corps Association on your behalf and would be happy to put you in touch with each other. Drop me an email or a PM here. I'll send you a friend request on Facebook - look out for a weird foreign name; in the mean time, this from there:

"I did not know Bernie but since retiring in 2010, I have worked for Macmillan as a benefits advisor so my input is purely advice about pensions etc. When a death is registered, the Registrar will issue a 'Tell us Once' reference code. This is then entered online and will inform all agencies such as DWP, DVLA, Passport Office & local authorities that somebody has passed away and in the case of the DWP and other pension providers it negates families from having to cope with issues like overpayments during what is an awful time for them. RIP Bernie."

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
This also from Facebook:

"Armed Forces Pension Scheme with any queries on 0800 085 3600 they are open 0700-1900hrs daily, or via email to DBS-PensionsHelp@dbspv.moduk or by post at Veterans UK, Pensions Division, Mail Point 480, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, glasgow, G2 8EX. Equiniti administer payments and they can be contacted on Equiniti, PO Box 1264 Sutherland House, Russell Way, CRAWLEY RH10 0HZ or email Veteransukpension@equiniti.com. EQ need to be informed asap to stop the payment this can be done either direct on when you register the death. Pension forecast can be obtained from Veterans UK which will vary dependant on which pension Bernie was entitled. You will need Bernies service number and his national insurance number and the date of your marriage."

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just to put everyone's mind at rest - between them, JSSU(V) and the RBL are all across this, now/

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Details for Bernie McCormick's funeral:
Monday 16th August 2021
14:00 hrs
Loughborough Crematorium (LE11 2AF).

Followed by burial at Cotes Road Cemetery, Barrow-upon-Soar (LE12 8PY).

It is planned to hold a wake at the Hunting Lodge in Barrow after the burial, but this has yet to be confirmed.

The family have asked that no flowers be sent but charitable donations would be welcome - Specific charity is yet to be confirmed also.

Anyone who would like to attend is requested to let me know or comment on the thread in the Y Services group on Facebook.