RIP Adrian Nicholas

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Cutaway, Sep 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Those in the sport will have at least heard of Adrian who went in on Saturday. The bloke really did live his life at full speed and made sure he enjoyed every moment.
    (He died pretty much the same way.)

Even allowing for the multitude of rules designed to make skydiving less fun, there aren't that many divers out there with the get up & go that Adrian possessed.

Sad he's gone & my thoughts are with Katarina and Ella.
    I'll raise a glass or three to him at the DZ this weekend.

Blue skies mate.

For those that are interested the Service will be held at Beaulieu Abbey on Fri 30 Sep 05 at 1100 hrs.
    Family flowers only, others, donations please to:

Make-A-Wish Foundation UK
    329-331, London Road
    GU15 3HQ

The Astrid Lindgren Hospital
    Children's Hospital
  2. Never heard of him.
  3. Did they explain what had caused the accident, chute failure, etc ?
  4. His AAD (Automatic Activation Device) fired as he was making a hook turn (high speed landing) deploying his reserve at about 300ft. With both his main and reserve parachutes out they downplaned and rather than slowing him down, flew him into the ground before he could cut his main away and land under just the reserve.
  5. Damn, not much you can do about that..
  6. Nope. Guess there ain't.
  7. heard about that - it was on the news over here!

Not a nice way to die I'd imagine
  8. Is there a nice way? I suppose the bloke was happy enough.............he wouldn't have had too much time to have got p*ssed off about it. At least he died happy.
  9. RIP Adrian A true pioneer who pushed the envelope and a nice bloke to boot.

See you on the great rail in the sky!
  10. Another good man gone, and didn't even make the 6 o'clock news.
    It breaks my heart.

Lessons learned: The most common cause of death in modern skydiving is a fully inflated, correctly functioning parachute, and a low hook turn. Adrian seems to have been doubly 'blessed'.

Be very very careful out there.

For technical discussions around the causes see:;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed
    from whence, also this:

That's why I don't hang my best skydive pictures any more: in every single one I can find a face that's no longer with us.

This obituary from Sat 15 Oct 2005 (better late than never. . .):