Riots in Riga (Latvia), in Bulgaria and Lithuania

#1
Just have watched Russian TV. there are crowds of in Riga. Some of them extremely violent. Rioters were shown vandalising police car, shops, storming the parliament. Who could expect it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_on_re_eu/eu_latvia_anti_government_protests_2

Latvia's government and opposition politicians blamed each other Wednesday for rioting in the capital that left more than 40 people injured in the worst violence since the country split from the Soviet Union in 1991.

The violence erupted late Tuesday after a peaceful anti-government demonstration by an estimated 10,000 people in downtown Riga, where participants criticized ministers for the country's worsening recession and urged the president to dissolve Parliament.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LE195119.htm

Hundreds of protesters clashed with police, smashed windows and damaged cars in Bulgaria's capital on Wednesday when a rally against corruption and slow reforms in the face of economic crisis turned into a riot.

The violence broke out during a peaceful protest in front of parliament of more than 2,000 people, including students, farmers and green activists, who said they were fed up with life in the European Union's poorest and most corrupt nation.
 
#2
Are you sure that they wern't just getting together in order to form a choir? Oh, Sergey? Happy Old New Year!
 
#3
Russian Army to move in to protect ethnic Russians? ;)
 
#4
Except that the majority of the ethinc Russians in Latvia tend to be in the South-Eastern corner in Latgale province and not in Riga...
 
#5
Hundreds of protesters clashed with police, smashed windows and damaged cars in Bulgaria's capital on Wednesday when a rally ---- they were fed up with life in the European Union's poorest and most corrupt nation.
I'always thought that Romania was as corrupt as Bulgaria - perhaps they're quite happy and don't ffel the need to riot?
 
#6
Speedkuff said:
Except that the majority of the ethinc Russians in Latvia tend to be in the South-Eastern corner in Latgale province and not in Riga...
I stand corrected. Have to wait for the rioting to spread down the South Eastern part of the country before sending in the Spetznaz.
 
#7
Speedkuff said:
Are you sure that they wern't just getting together in order to form a choir? Oh, Sergey? Happy Old New Year!
Thanks Speedkuff. I have seen something that is too far from peacefull demonstration. As transporants were in Latvian then I suppose that many ethnical Latvians participated in the demonstrations and maybe in the riots.

Riga is mainly mopulated by the Russians and Russian speakers. But economical crisis have united the poor, those who are jobless and so on.



http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//090113/481/29399da52d494f41bd7c97db03ce9ae8/

Damaged police cars are seen on the street during an anti-government rally in Riga's historic Old Town, Latvia, Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2009. Thousands of protesters gathered in downtown Riga to demand the resignation of the center-right government. Latvians are increasingly upset about rising unemployment and unpopular reforms, and blame the government for the Baltic country's economic woes.
It looks a 'the singers' were too excited.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
I don't suppose that a whole bunch of EU diktats is helping the situation either - what with the Latvian government aving to pass EU directives into law as if they were their own.

Yet another EU member state that is unable to devalue its own currency to raise demand.
 
#9
"Riga is mainly mopulated by the Russians and Russian speakers."

I believe the LZE have some quite harsh things to say about that... LOL
 
#10
Speedkuff said:
"Riga is mainly mopulated by the Russians and Russian speakers."

I believe the LZE have some quite harsh things to say about that... LOL
I have made a funny typo Speedkuff. However, 'mopulated' could be regarded as a new word: something between 'populated' and 'mobulated'.
 
#11
http://www.thestate.com/world/story/652935.html?RSS=untracked

Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse anti-government protesters throwing rocks and eggs at Lithuania's Parliament on Friday.

One police officer and several other people were injured in the clashes. Police said one protester lost a finger after being hit by a rubber bullet.

About a dozen windows on the parliament building, located in downtown Vilnius, were shattered.

About 7,000 people gathered outside Lithuania's Parliament Friday morning to demonstrate against unpopular reforms aimed at combatting the Baltic state's deepening economic crisis.
The clash echoes similar anti-government protests that have led to violence this week in Latvia and Bulgaria, and recent demonstrations in Greece, as a wave of discontent over economic woes, government reforms and corruption sweeps through parts of Europe.

In Latvia, police detained more than 100 people on Tuesday after protesters pelted police with rocks, shattered windows and looted a liquor store.
They expected that the membership in the EU would bring a paradise... It brought more parasites instead - local ones + EU ones.
 
#12
God knows why they thought that, we could've warned 'em about the EU...
 
#13
Speedkuff said:
God knows why they thought that, we could've warned 'em about the EU...
Tell that to the other dreamers-scroungers: some Ukrainians think NATO membership will automatically bring EU membership, and EU membership would mean no more financial struggle, great roads, clean streets, Hollywood style homes, lots of money and no hard work. :roll:
 
#14
Domovoy said:
Tell that to the other dreamers-scroungers: some Ukrainians think NATO membership will automatically bring EU membership, and EU membership would mean no more financial struggle, great roads, clean streets, Hollywood style homes, lots of money and no hard work. :roll:
Sheeeet, good roads, can't even get them in this country!!
 
#15
Domovoy said:
Speedkuff said:
God knows why they thought that, we could've warned 'em about the EU...
Tell that to the other dreamers-scroungers: some Ukrainians think NATO membership will automatically bring EU membership, and EU membership would mean no more financial struggle, great roads, clean streets, Hollywood style homes, lots of money and no hard work. :roll:
That might be so, but they would still rather have that they have your tanks parked on them.
 
#16
Only when they move overseas to countries with liberal social benefits scheme, places like oooh! us!
 

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
If I have it figured out correctly, it's not membership of the EU but adoption of the Euro which is the problem. Without a national currency you can't set interest rates and you have to live with what the ECB sets - one size doesn't fit all. All you can do if you are on the Euro is fiddle with taxation. Put it up = cripple investment, increase unemplyment. Put it down = have to sack loads of govt employees, increase unemployment. Unfortunately the working example of interest rate freedom outside the EU has been screwed by an incompetent Govt; the difference still is, we COULD do better, Euro countries can't. Only the private sector purring away can get a country out of the dwang.
 
#18
TIGER-MONKEY said:
Domovoy said:
Speedkuff said:
God knows why they thought that, we could've warned 'em about the EU...
Tell that to the other dreamers-scroungers: some Ukrainians think NATO membership will automatically bring EU membership, and EU membership would mean no more financial struggle, great roads, clean streets, Hollywood style homes, lots of money and no hard work. :roll:
That might be so, but they would still rather have that they have your tanks parked on them.
??????????
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Top