Rioting in Creggan, Londonderry.

The problem with the youngsters in Derry is that they hear all the old tales. It's everywhere, the murals, the museums, the talk in the bars and the schools. The Troubles largely defined Derry for the past half century.

If you're in your teens now hanging out in the Bogside or Creggan, large parts of which have become Troubles theme parks with busloads of tourists stopping off to get photographed at Free Derry Corner or getting the tour around the site of Bloody Sunday, you might feel you missed out on all the crack.

Sure, only a tiny proportion of them will get swept up, but that's all we're talking about here, a couple of dozen youngsters and the Boys of the Old Brigade in their 50s and 60s recreating their youths (just for the record if he's 53 he'd have seen some action in his day, as he would have come of age in the Hunger Strikes).

Meanwhile apparently drug addiction and suicide rates are soaring in Derry, despite Derry being transformed now into actually not an unpleasant and fairly prosperous town. Drugs and youth suicide were unheard of in Derry during the 70s and 80s when the place was a God forsaken hellhole and half the youth were running wild burning, bombing and rioting.

Make of that what you will.
I don't think Londonderry is that prosperous. I believe it has some of the highest levels of unemployment and social deprivation in the UK.

If the young fellow who did this has any conscience at all, today he will be shaking like a shitting dog. I hope it may persuade him to give up violence and to break away from the old boys who (cowards that they are themselves) told him to fire at the police. There is no honour amongst rats.
Or he's been moved up the ranks now and has more sway in the community. Never mind he's just had a kid and no doubt a few quid extra each week in his back pocket.

He was already lifted for the murder, if I remember right, last May/June, but released without charge..maybe he's turned tout.

It's a two year old article but nothings changed.

55% employment. 2 out of 3 kids living below the poverty line.

Criminal organisations are possible funding sources but may be unreliable- especially in such a small space like NI.
If you say so

According to a report from Forbes Israel, the dissident group, which now calls itself the IRA, has an income of around £32m, largely generated from smuggling and organised crime.

If you say so

According to a report from Forbes Israel, the dissident group, which now calls itself the IRA, has an income of around £32m, largely generated from smuggling and organised crime.

The peelers raided houses in the Short Strand the other week, across the road and over the peace wall from me. It was a raid on the INLA. The last time I checked the INLA was linked with the New IRA, who killed Lyra Mckee.

Mike Barton

War Hero
It's a two year old article but nothings changed.

55% employment. 2 out of 3 kids living below the poverty line.
Perhaps that is true, it didn't look like a deprived area when I was last there. The bars and restaurants were packed midweek, the cars all looked brand new, the place was spotless, no graffiti or litter anywhere, house prices through the roof (ex Housing Executive house in Central Drive, Creggan going for north of 100k), all the youngsters seemed to have jobs and cars. Maybe I was just judging the old place on how I remembered it in my youth.

Compared to some grim places I saw in supposedly prosperous SE England (towns on the Kent coast) recently, however, Derry looked like Shangri-La and as for places like Hull or Bradford or parts of western Scotland, well...

Fair enough, the statistics don't lie, but given that they are based on welfare payments and knowing my fellow townsmen's reputation for manipulating those particular government facilities, I wouldn't rely too heavily on their accuracy.

I recall that famously the Brandywell once had 50 percent of its population disabled according to official statistics, and yet I never saw a single disabled person.

I saw lots of taxi drivers and pizza deliverymen driving nice Vauxhall Cavaliers, mind you.

The peelers raided houses in the Short Strand the other week, across the road and over the peace wall from me. It was a raid on the INLA. The last time I checked the INLA was linked with the New IRA, who killed Lyra Mckee.
Sorry to dissapoint but the linked article states:

The PSNI said the operation was "part of an ongoing operation into organised crime groups involved in the distribution of Class A and B drugs in the greater Belfast area". And that they were "hoping to reduce the harm that drugs cause in communities".

Police added the finds are not linked to paramilitary groups.

Sorry to dissapoint but the linked article states:

The PSNI said the operation was "part of an ongoing operation into organised crime groups involved in the distribution of Class A and B drugs in the greater Belfast area". And that they were "hoping to reduce the harm that drugs cause in communities".

Police added the finds are not linked to paramilitary groups.
The INLA control the drugs scene in Belfast in Republican area's. There was raids last year in the Markets with drugs lifted, which alongside the Short Strand, falls under the same OC of the INLA.
There's no doubt the INLA was supplying the gear and taxing the dealer.

The majority of the senior leadership of the DR groups are former PIRA members. The youngsters that used to gravitate towards the Fianna are now gravitating towards them, especially in towns and cities, which is why they find it so easy to instigate rioting.

The exact breakdown varies a lot from place to place. A little over 10 years ago the average age of CIRA in Fermanagh was about 50 and they were almost all former PIRA members. In Armagh/Lurgan it was 21 and almost all of them had joined CIRA directly. That has it's own advantages and disadvantages, the Fermanagh lot were technically competent and experienced, but terrified of getting caught and going to prison. The North Armagh lot didn't know how to do much but were mental and would try pretty much anything.
I read a very good paper recently about the age structure of PIRA and how it changed over time. There was a direct correlation between 'maturity' and a decline in both military (army) and civilian casualties, though the UDR seemed to take the brunt.

One of the attractions for the younger guys was to gain 'status' in areas where there was little other opportuntty. They were, as you say, pretty much fearless, but lacking in competence (mental). They also had less grasp on the value of life and were more than willing to pull the trigger. We talk a lot about learning lessons. Surely there must be alternatives for these youngsters.

Perhaps that is true, it didn't look like a deprived area when I was last there. The bars and restaurants were packed midweek, the cars all looked brand new, the place was spotless, no graffiti or litter anywhere, house prices through the roof (ex Housing Executive house in Central Drive, Creggan going for north of 100k), all the youngsters seemed to have jobs and cars. Maybe I was just judging the old place on how I remembered it in my youth.

Compared to some grim places I saw in supposedly prosperous SE England (towns on the Kent coast) recently, however, Derry looked like Shangri-La and as for places like Hull or Bradford or parts of western Scotland, well...

Fair enough, the statistics don't lie, but given that they are based on welfare payments and knowing my fellow townsmen's reputation for manipulating those particular government facilities, I wouldn't rely too heavily on their accuracy.

I recall that famously the Brandywell once had 50 percent of its population disabled according to official statistics, and yet I never saw a single disabled person.

I saw lots of taxi drivers and pizza deliverymen driving nice Vauxhall Cavaliers, mind you.
You can't argue with 55% figures for employment. I've no doubt there's a quire few on the DLA but PIP's slowly sorting that out. The North West of Northern Ireland is poor as fcuk.

I read a very good paper recently about the age structure of PIRA and how it changed over time. There was a direct correlation between 'maturity' and a decline in both military (army) and civilian casualties, though the UDR seemed to take the brunt.

One of the attractions for the younger guys was to gain 'status' in areas where there was little other opportuntty. They were, as you say, pretty much fearless, but lacking in competence (mental). They also had less grasp on the value of life and were more than willing to pull the trigger. We talk a lot about learning lessons. Surely there must be alternatives for these youngsters.
I'd say the decline in PIRA casualty figures was more to do with Special Branch running their campaign down from the mid 80's.
Plus you had the Army/RUC going after their ASU's Armagh/Tyrone.

The INLA control the drugs scene in Belfast in Republican area's. There was raids last year in the Markets with drugs lifted, which alongside the Short Strand, falls under the same OC of the INLA.
There's no doubt the INLA was supplying the gear and taxing the dealer.
Agreed, they also have a lucrative operation in Londonderry. A good article on INLA funding Sale of fake designer goods funding INLA

Aren't various factions of the UDA involved in a turf war over control of drugs in loyalist areas?

Agreed, they also have a lucrative operation in Londonderry. Aren't various factions of the UDA involved in a turf war over control of drugs in loyalist areas?
I wouldn't say it was a turf war. South East Antrim UDA infighting.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Well wee fat Paul arrived at court, threw his arms in the air to celebrate his Republican martyrdom then proceeded to trip over his untied shoe lace.

Well done Paul, well done. I’m sure Bobby Sands is looking down (I mean up) and tearing up.

Enjoy remand you scum.

1581621522858.jpeg

I wouldn't say it was a turf war. South East Antrim UDA infighting.
That's exactly what it is. Now that you mention it, I see far fewer of the S.E.A. onanists on the street these days when I'm down Carrickfergus way.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Say the gunman is 18.

He was therefore born in 2002..... radicalisation at its worst.
That’s the interesting bit. The dissidents seem to be either disaffected (holding a grudge) or dyed in the wool in the home.

The GFA broke the regular generational cycle of violence, no longer can the family tradition be relied upon. The other problem with the this sort of mould breaking, there’s the problem of cleanskins and new players slipping under the radar.

Exposing a veteran 53 year old and allegedly an experienced QM, that smacks of a shortage of players and difficulty in getting bums on seats.

Let’s face it Colin Duffy can’t be our only asset.

Guess we all hope (and pray) Ms McDonald and her little lambs help and Not cause further probs.

Does anyone wish the Very Reverend Ian Paisley was still kicking around

And when Brexit is hammered fully in in with the Emerald Isle then what

cheers
No.
That old git is a lot responsible for where we got to.
A ghastly bigot.

I think that is a good summary - been round there twice recently

Latest Threads