Rioting in Creggan, Londonderry.

Oh don’t be dense.
Internment proved to be a disaster and most of the intel was found to be wrong or out of date

That’s why, these days, when someone gets scooped it usually sticks, especially post ceasefires. They make sure it’s kosher.
And the New IRA have been identified as being responsible for last nights murder.
Skidmark

What has the above got to do with your claim below ?

And anyway arbitrary arrests based on biased and erroneous information, it didn’t work last time. It’s hardly going to work this or the next time.

I’ve just been watching the usual Political platitudes and condemnations of the attack on the News - DUP etc. Sinn Fein have clearly had an image makeover since the days of Gerry and Marty. For a second I thought I was watching the launch of a Girl Band tour!

Have I missed the official renaming of the town to Derry, according to BBC News this morning. I thought it was still Londonderry?
As for this latest breed of scumbag Republicans (the New IRA ffs), I trust they are treated like the murdering criminals they are and not handled with kid gloves like the last lot.
RIP to the poor young journalist.
Standard practice is, and always was, Londonderry in first reference, Derry in second and subsequent references.

It may gall you but when 95% of the population of a place call it by a certain name, then that is most likely to be the place's name, whatever it's "official" name might be.

And I never heard any squaddie posted there calling it anything other than Derry, only some Rupert being interviewed on the BBC called it Londonderry and then it was usually pronounced "Londondrie"

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Standard practice is, and always was, Londonderry in first reference, Derry in second and subsequent references.

It may gall you but when 95% of the population of a place call it by a certain name, then that is most likely to be the place's name, whatever it's "official" name might be.

And I never heard any squaddie posted there calling it anything other than Derry, only some Rupert being interviewed on the BBC called it Londonderry and then it was usually pronounced "Londondrie"
We all called it Londonderry when I was there, well there were other names but as this isn't the NAAFI I won't repeat them.

Oh don’t be dense.
Internment proved to be a disaster and most of the intel was found to be wrong or out of date

That’s why, these days, when someone gets scooped it usually sticks, especially post ceasefires. They make sure it’s kosher.
And the New IRA have been identified as being responsible for last nights murder.
Would I be right in stating that you have never served as part of the the Security Forces in NI or anywhere else?

But you Brits never had a problem with gun violence either....,
I know of people who refuse to accept that shootings in NI can be a weekly occurrence, purely because it's not plastered all over Faceache!
Or
Don't realise the large number of people licensed to carry a PPW.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Possibly because he's dead?
And that's my point.
If you've nothing better to do and if they do put it on the news. Which they probably will after the events of last night. Look at the age difference in the PIRA/OIRA crowd who would have involved during the troubles.
They're all getting very old and infirm. Hopefully there are health disadvantages of a career mixing anfo.

And the age of those following the dissidents, post cease fire . There's no continuity, it seems to have skipped a generation. Which republicanism has never done before.

That's why current police raids are very clearly and forensically targeted. To get it wrong just stirs up old memories and opens old wounds.

Booting a well known but no longer involved republicans door up the hall , it might look good and make everyone involved feel great. But it does no earthly good.

That's why intelligence works.

Hold on. The New IRA, those accused of last nights shooting have just announced they will not be taking part in the Easter commems in Derry.

Given the violence that has resulted as a result of her comments an investigation Stateside would be very welcome.

Edit to add a woman has been confirmed murdered by fenian terrorists. RIP and feck you to any fenian cheerleader like pelosi.
Violence erupted because the PSNI (rightly) raided houses and found firearms.

No doubt RIRA/CIRA etc then started the trouble so more weren’t found

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
But you Brits never had a problem with gun violence either....,
There's plenty of other threads for you to display woeful ignorance on. The shootings in Northern Ireland over the entire period would be less than a year's worth in most cities over in the home of the free, that may give you a sense of proportion although I very much doubt it.

On a serious note...
Is the general impression that our wonderful leader of the House stirring the pot in Norn Iron?

Followed by why did you let her in , and how long can you keep her?

This might be worthy of a go fund me campaign...how much bribe money would it take to keep her...
Who was the clown with her yesterday waffling about being searched by soldiers with NVG on 30 years ago?

And the age of those following the dissidents, post cease fire . There's no continuity, it seems to have skipped a generation. Which republicanism has never done before.
That is not correct. All of the original members of CIRA and then RIRA were former Provisionals who left because they were unhappy with decisions made within PSF/PIRA. For RSF/CIRA it was taking seats won in elections in the ROI and for 32CSM/RIRA it was the ceasefire.

They have recruited a lot of new, younger people since then but those at the top pulling the strings are almost all former Provos.