Riot training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by rugbyluke, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So when we getting riot training? If we (the Ta) was riot trained the number of London soldiers we have could of greatly helped with this mess. Could riot training be on the books now?

I hope it is

2. Great, all plod needs is a couple of hundred over enthusiastic, shuffling bags of DPM clad shite to get in the way. Aside from that you'd be smashed to ******* pieces, military riot training is bonk, you can just about manage a short tear up and a fighting withdrawal.

If they deploy Gareths I'm breaking out my black hoodie and a stanley knife ..

• Like Like x 2
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

My riot training consisted of looking for someone with a red shirt so I could tell rifleman no.1 to shoot him.

4. Cow

Cow LE

Why be a stab when you can be a special if you want to bash looters?

5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I done that course, also included a red roof.

6. The police do not need assistance from the TA right now.
    What they DO need is maybe someone dressed in a nice tight fitting lycra suit of blue, with red underpants on the outside for effect. Maybe a big 'S' in bright gold on the front, eh? You could be their very own super-hero. No need to obey orders, just go in and zap a few villans - go for it mate. I shall watch the news for your input.

7. Without getting into the politics of whether the TA should provide support to the plod in cases such as London (though FR2020 could be read to imply this) 'riot training' is already available to members of the TA in the form of the PS&PO courses run by ASPT.

8. Why don't you get through Basic Training first [mod edit: keep it civil]?

9. Instead of deploying the Army we could, as a nation decide to resource the police correctly so there are enough well trained plod to do the job they are asked to do.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  10. We could barely get most of our Sqn to turn up on a Friday night if it was raining when I was a PSI, the chances of getting them there when there's a good chance of having the shite kicked out of you by a 6'3'' Purple Aki look-a-like is zero.

The TA are good for many things, riot control is not one of them.

11. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I sense a thread here that people are keen to get ripped in and get some riot training.
    May I invite you to the home of urban disturbances. There are minimum group no's, hat and vest might be a good idea. (I'm sure there are folk here who can do a good discount on this stuff). Feel free to PM me.
    I'm sure we can do hotel rates, bus transport, tour maybe. But it's got to be quick and I need your credit card details.
    Last saturday in August. Derry Phase 1. Off we go to the delightful historic area of the bogside in the city of Derry (county of Londondery) turn up, drink Guinness or buckie. Join in with a horde of young scamps and attempt to knock the bowler hats off passing dark suited chaps. You'll know when. Spend the rest of the day playing chasies all over the city (It's real city unlike Lisburn). Private health insurance is a must.
    Those not too injured on phase 1 (The scamps) will be eligable for Phase 2.
    Full combat kit, jacket, trousers good boots hat and vest. Don't worry by now there are people lining up to supply at discount rates. Dress up and parade through the city centre of Belfast, waving to everyone with a cheery 'Hello we're back' then a quick sprint up the New Lodge Rd.
    I can sense this being a goer. Phase 3 you can hone your shield skills against a motivated (drunk) group of dedicated (hammered) individuals all operational vets who will of course be willing, for a fee to provide one on one skills enhancement.

12. SOPs and issued at G Coy ( West Side Coy)

13. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Could some of the T.A. still get MTD's/Camps out of the way by turning up to riots, handing in their biff chits and spending 2 weeks in the tea room?

14. Most of us don't have that level of planning ability.

Always ready to learn from the Regs, mind.

15. I'm sure we could fit in a 5 weekend package into London TA infantry training... fit it in between the DIE training.

In practical terms - the only TA you may have been able to call in are SAS(R) and HRR from RSigs. The remainder would have just moved to a mobilisation centre to be stood down