Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by guzzler, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently thinking of upgrading to a .22 rim fire for rabbiting any advice will be welcome.
  2. Recently bought a .22 Sako Finnfire Varmint, bit on the heavy side (I lamp from a quad bike with a Solway Feeders rifle rest on the front rack so it's not a problem), lovely build quality and very accurate. If you're on a budget you couldn't do better than a CZ Varmint, but sort through them till you find one with a nice smooth bolt (some are a bit on the rough side), and it's worth having the trigger kit fitted for a smother pull.
  3. Whilst on the subject, what are the pros and cons of the .17 HMR?
  4. .17HMR

Flat shooting
    Proper expanding bullet that has a low richochet hazard

Ammo & Gun Expensive
    Single source of ammo supply
    Need to keep your barrel very clean (But you do don't you...?)

I would suggest that unless you are taking out urban squirrels etc and need the dead stop characteristics etc, then .22RF is more flexible and certainly cheaper....
  5. Several manufacturers now supply .17HMR... Federal, Hornady, Remington. Excellent on bunnies where they've been shot at a lot and are very wary. Headshots at 100 yards are standard. Also a good round against corvids, and even fox to 150yds. Flat-shooting enough to give a good range without 8" holdover as in the .22LR. A good rifle for flinty areas or hard ground in the Summer, when your .22s will be pinging about the place like the soundtrack from a cowboy film.
  6. At a tangent - does a moderator on a rimfire save a dog's hearing? Is there a case for using subsonic rounds near dogs, or is the damage caused by the combustion?
  7. Many thanks for the info given so far the .17 is not an option i had thought of although the local gunsmith had one in stock the ground near me is flinty and hard so it could be the wiser option.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Ruger 10/22 and the 10/17 are both very fun semi-autos with loads of accessories available so you can pimp them up. Also the Ruger 77/22 and 77/17 are good bolt actions, again with endless bits and pieces available so you can go all out with carbon stocks, 30 round see through mags, picatinny rails etc. if that's your thing.
  9. But the only legal semi-auto in the UK is in .22LR. The Ruger bolt gun's not bad, though has the 'don't sue me if you ND' American super-heavy trigger pull. I went for the Anschutz in .17 and it's a very good rifle. The CZ is less well finished but has a superb barrel and costs rather less.
  10. You can get a an old BSA Sportsman for buttons, (I paid £2) have a gunsmith put scope mounts on it and then have enough left over for a really good quality scope out of your budget. My BSA Sportsman 15 will shoot 1" groups at 100yds all day if I'm doing my bit. I have done better but couldn't guarantee to repeat it!
  11. Not a Ruger 10/22 ffs..

horrid overpriced junk IMHO

loads of good cheap rimfires on here ... http://guntrader.co.uk

I have two - a Browning Trombone pump action and a Walther Rifle No 1 Semi Auto bolt action...

both "proper" well made rifles and classics of their type..

12. bullet too small....4.5mm at what 20 grains or so....i can see this bullet boucing off windscreens at 300 yards!!!!!
  13. A .22lr with a decent moderator is quieter than most air rifles, the sound of the bullet hitting bugs tends to spook the other rabbits though. As mentioned above they do seem to bounce of just about anything given the chance, makes shot selection interesting.

The .17HMR is a cracking rabbit round though it's noisier, more expensive to run (£11 per 50 rounds as opposed to £3.50 for .22lr). The bullets are roughly half the weight and travelling at double the speed of .22lr so you'll never lose the sonic crack. Strangely though I find the HMR spooks the rabbits less than the .22lr.

Most of my shooting is now done with the HMR using 17gn ballistic tips, these fragment very efficiently (most of the time), you can get 20gn hollow points that tend to pass straight through rabbits without expanding, more suited to slotting the odd fox if the opportunity presents itself.

I've owned/shot many different rim fires, my favourite is the Sako though if you are on a budget you'll struggle to better a CZ/BRNO for the price.

Ps. Just another thought, the .17HM2 is getting a good press, might be worth a look.
  14. The varmint is good, but the stock palm swell is for those with shovel like hands and has a vey low rake. I found it very uncomfortable, especially when shooting prone.

I got my local gunny to fit one of CZs synthetic stocks,(£40, from Edgar Bros, the CZ importers) which are leaner, lighter and have a more vertical rake, and now my rifle handles and shoots fantastically.

As for the bolts, mine was a little hesitant, but an oil stone and some fine emery paper cured that. CZ have improved the finish on their recent rifles and they are much smoother now. It cycles very easily and cleanly and throws the spent case well clear of the mech.

Also drop in a Trigger basix kit(£15 approx) .They are easy to do yourself, and if its not right, just do it again, its not like you'll permananetly fcuk it up. Don't go for the lightest spring unless you like NDs!

A Harris short swivel bipod, 12x Nikko Nighteater sidewheel scope, and you will easily get sub 1" groups @ 200m with most quality Standard Velocity or subsonic ammo. Even rough as fcuk Eley Practice will group at just over an inch.

I do a lot of F class target/Target/fun shooting with mine and often use CCI Mini Mag or Lapua Match ammo and get great results from the 200 yd point. Most people wouldnt dream of shooting a .22 beyond 25 yds indoors, and thats not much of a challenge, and to me, a bit dull. Well times 8 that and it gets very interesting, especially when the wind catches it. It also cost peanuts when compared to full bore.
  15. Whilst I'll agree that many 10/22's are overpriced, there are some real bargains out there to be had. I picked mine up for much less than a ton. The big advantage of the Ruger is parts and support. Much more kit on the market for that one type than probably all the other types put together.

Personally I find the standard barrell not the most acurate on a target, but more than adequate for bunny bashing. Screw cut, with a mod on, you really couldn't ask for a better rifle..and the bonus is that if you don't like it today, you can change it tomorrow.

Don't worry about the trigger pull, lots and lots of aftermarket triggers to suit all pockets and requirements

Have a nosey here...

I know the 10/22 has it's knockers, but there are a damn sight more lovers of it out there.